My Jack Russell Terrier Was Brutally Attacked By A Pitbull - Drive Accord Honda Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 04-14-2010, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
bodyboarder

Send a message via AIM to Rich Send a message via Yahoo to Rich Send a message via Skype™ to Rich
My Jack Russell Terrier Was Brutally Attacked By A Pitbull

So here's the story guys and girls. My girlfriend was in petsmart last saturday with her 14 y/o sister while I was at work. She called me at about 1:30pm crying her eyes out saying "you need to come to petsmart right now roxy just got attacked by a ****ing pitbull" I said "WHAT!?" and immediately dropped what i was doing and hauled major ass to the store. Got there within 3 minutes, did not stop for a light and pulled a 180 turn in the middle of the intersection as I made a wrong turn. All i cared about at the time was making sure my little puppy was ok. You guys have to understand, I love my dog more than anything. I am so glad I got her and I think she is the cutest thing ever. She is only 4 months old and to have her life ended this early would be devastating!

I get to petsmart and roxy is in intensive care at Banfield, a place side by side w/ petsmart, a vet's office. They are doing work to her as when the attack happened, Roxy immediately went into shock.

What happened was my girl put roxy down (on a leash) when they got to check out lanes to pay for her items, a pitbull (on leash as well) came around the corner and without warning just ATTACKED my dog, Roxy started to cry, yelp, you name it and the pitbull would not stop. My girlfriend said the guy who was holding the leash, also had another dog with him who actually bit the pitbull to try to get him to stop, she said it took 6-8 people just to get the dog off of mine and after that is when a Banfield member grabbed roxy and immediately started working on her.

We called Animal Control, they showed up and took a quick report as banfield was getting ready to release roxy to us so we could drive her to the pet hospital which was about 10-15 min away.

We left, hauled ass to the hospital and they took her quickly in. Roxy has/had about 6-7 punctures on her face and chest and abdomen. Her breathing was very rapid so they had to put her on oxygen and kept her overnight. THANK GOD the punctures did not go through to her lungs but she does however have bruises all over her lungs which is why she's breathing fast. They took her off oxygen at 6am and she was doing fine. My girlfriend finally picked up Roxy at about 12:30pm on sunday. Sunday and monday roxy was very mopey, just sleeping and resting to get better.

Yesterday my girlfriend gets a phone call from Banfield saying we have an unpaid bill that needs to be paid within 2 weeks. ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME?! Bill that shit to petsmart or the pitbull's owners! This pissed us off and upset us very much so we emailed every newschannel and paper we could think of. WPBF came out quickly and was here for an hour with my girls, doing an interview story.

Today my girlfriend gets a call from the Dangerous Dog Investigator saying she has deemed the dog not that dangerous and that the owners will be getting a warning letter. UM WHAT!? If it weren't for the hospital able to save her life she would be DEAD, are you still going to write a letter?

Now we aren't saying ban pitbulls or put that dog down, but we want some type of policy changed. Big dogs dominate smaller dogs. Yes I know that smaller dogs can however bite people and they do attack BUT THE OWNER CAN CONTROL THEM. If this monster of a dog was NOT let in the store this would have NEVER happened. But because of negligence it did and we are furious. At least a sign on petsmart saying "enter with your dogs at your own risk" or something. The thing that gets us is that pisses us off the most are people saying "you wouldn't be making this public if it was a golden retriever or a german shepherd", oh yes we would.

What if this was a child, you, your child that this happened to? If they didn't allow big dogs in the store and if for some reason a small dog did attack you or them, at least you have a fighting chance to get them off of you. My dog had no chance at all, neither did my girlfriend, which is why it took numerous people to get the pitbull off of mine.

Right now we are going after petsmart as we can't afford these bills. We already have paid almost $1200 in bills and we don't even know how much banfield wants! This is ridiculous. We still have to have her checked up at least twice a week. Yes Roxy is healing but her punctures on her chest seem to be swelling up and sticking out more.

That is all I have to say for now. I'm sure there's gonna be some negative comments on this but everyone is entitled to their own opinion so fair warning, if you piss me off, I WILL be an asshole to whatever you said.

Check out the links I have posted below of this developing (and not over) story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBPxYAKlqY0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82tfhLXm0iY

http://www.wpbf.com/news/23137926/detail.html
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36474993...palm_beach_fl/
http://interactive.sun-sentinel.com/...k-in-petsmart/
http://world-news.newsvine.com/_news...e-after-attack
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...f25news?ref=ts

Bye Bye Accord!!

Xbox Live Gamertag: BeachBum561FLA
Hybrid Photography
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 04-14-2010, 02:47 PM
5th Gear

I can relate pretty well with you, so I feel your pain. Unfortunately those dogs can be dangerous even if cared for, it is just in their nature.

Like you I am an anmimal lover, I have a cat, his name is Vinny and he is about 10 years old, he is skinny by nature, not much too him, but I just would do anything for the little man, just as any pet owner would. Anyhow, i left to go to work, and upon my arrival back home, i found out that my cat was attacked by a neighbors pitbull. My cat was sitting inside my enclosed screened in patio when the neighbor's pitbull ripped through ours fence, and though our screened in patio, only to grab my cat by the neck and swing him around like a rag doll. My mom by the luck of God happened to be outside when this was happen. She describes it as an invinsible strength she got, in which she was fearless and picked up the pitpull and threw it away,thus making the pitbull scramble away, mind you this was a full sized pitpull. My cat suffered 3-4 lazerations, but thank fully was okay.

We sued just for medical bills in court, not nearly as much ($500) which was handled in court when our neighbor didn't show up. Not even a sorry from, some people are pos's. Animal control picked up the pitbull and their other pitbull they had and I haven't seen them since.

At any rate, I feel your pain and you should not have to pay for the bills, I think petsmart needs to step in, even if the bills are split or something.
________
buy vapir oxygen

post #3 of 42 Old 04-14-2010, 02:49 PM
This won't hurt a bit

This is a reason to carry a gun and/or knife. Put the blade or bullet between the pit bulls eyes and that should stop them.

As for payment to the vet, did you or your gf sign a waiver authorizing treatment? If so then they have you legally responsible for all fees incurred. If nothing was signed authorizing treatment then they are SOL.

I don't think petsmart will pay a penny because they will say you should keep your dog in your care, not put her on the ground, even on a leash.

Accord traded on a 14 grand cherokee limited

post #4 of 42 Old 04-14-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
bodyboarder

Send a message via AIM to Rich Send a message via Yahoo to Rich Send a message via Skype™ to Rich
petsmart (as you see on video if you watched it) says "vaccinated and leashed pets welcome"....they grabbed our dog without asking but then after (my gf told me this) they had her sign something. i mean yea we could say "um well we have somewhere else we take her" but my gf made a good point that it was a life or death situation so why would we say no. its hard. this is very stressing. on top of all this my girlfriend's back hurt from all the stress on saturday because of this. the doctor even told her it's because of what happened.

Bye Bye Accord!!

Xbox Live Gamertag: BeachBum561FLA
Hybrid Photography
post #5 of 42 Old 04-14-2010, 03:03 PM
This won't hurt a bit

Tell the vet to sue if they want payment. Honestly, that will cost them a lot more between lawyers and lost time that they'll probablty just write off the loss

Accord traded on a 14 grand cherokee limited
post #6 of 42 Old 04-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Out of Control

Quote Rich:
Quote:
“My Jack Russell Terrier Was Brutally Attacked By A Pitbull … "you need to come to Petsmart right now roxy just got attacked by a ****ing pitbull" … pitbull would not stop”
Watched your Utube video from Channel 25 WPBF, looks like that pit bull did some aggressive damage Banfield pet hospital surely is connected to Petsmart perhaps in more ways than you can imagine. Pitbulls have a bad reputation in South Florida after several people have been mauled by Pitbulls. They can be vicious. Hope this gets worked out to your satisfaction, Regards

Richard

'09 Accord Coupe Ex L-Nav (190hp) I4
- Alabaster Silver Metallic/ Zaino finish / Black Leather Interior
-Weathertech trunk, front
-3M clear bra, pillars, roof, rear deck
OEM:
- side molding
- fog lamps
- Auto dim mirror
HONDA Accords:
'99 Sedan EXL V6
76 K miles - 6th Gen (97-02) 3.0L V6 SOHC VTEC (200 hp)
'92 Coupe I4
127 K miles – 4th Gen (90-93) 1992 facelift I4 2.2L (125 hp)
'85 Sedan LX 4dr I4
98 K miles – 2nd Gen (82-85) 1985 refresh i4 1.8L (86 hp)
post #7 of 42 Old 04-14-2010, 03:34 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by searich07 View Post
Quote Rich:

Watched your Utube video from Channel 25 WPBF, looks like that pit bull did some aggressive damage Banfield pet hospital surely is connected to Petsmart perhaps in more ways than you can imagine. Pitbulls have a bad reputation in South Florida after several people have been mauled by Pitbulls. They can be vicious. Hope this gets worked out to your satisfaction, Regards

Richard
In Denver, Colorado Pitbulls are outlawed. It should be the same everywhere.
post #8 of 42 Old 04-14-2010, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

Don't have any legal advice but it looks like Petsmart is in the wrong but I'm not an attorney. "We leave it up to our owners to determine if their pet is dangerous". Bull shit. The main thing is I hope Roxy is going to be OK.

2010 Diamond white EXL V-6
post #9 of 42 Old 04-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Find out the amount owed and try to work out a payment plan with them. There's no point in screwing up your credit for decades over this. Without their swift action it's possible your dog wouldn't be alive......you do owe them.

I'm genuinely glad to hear the little critter is doing better. Keep a close eye on him/her.
post #10 of 42 Old 04-14-2010, 04:49 PM
6th Gear

sorry to hear that. hope everything works out. that JRT is so cute

2008 EX-L V6 ASM
AFTERMARKET
Inspire Headlights + LS 430 Retrofit (HID 5000k, switchback LEDs), Megan SS Coils, V6 Coupe Wheels, Mugen Style Kit, Inspire LED Mirrors, Takeda SRI, VS Clear Bra, 20% sides/32% Rear Tint, 3M Black Roof Vinyl, Sun Strip Visor, WT Digifit Liners, Inspire Trunk Garnish, JDM Decklid Spoiler, M3 Style Roof Spoiler, Modulo Sport Grille, LED Taillights, Full LED interior/exterior, Odyssey/Mesh Lower Grille, TSX 17mm RSB, P2R TBS, Crosstour Shifter, CF Trim, Trunk CCFLs
post #11 of 42 Old 04-14-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNSLS View Post
In Denver, Colorado Pitbulls are outlawed. It should be the same everywhere.

That's dumb. People being afraid and outlawing a breed when all they probably know about them is what they see and hear from the media who love to sensationalize these stories.

It's not the breed, it's the owners.

Many Pit owners don't know how to handle them or know what they're getting into. They're high energy dogs that need a lot of exercise and discipline, yet many are either tied up or locked up behind a fence.... never taken out for a walk.

My Pit was attacked by a Boxer and Shephard mix a while back while on a walk. I guess we should ban Boxers and Shephards too?

She's a gentle dog... did nothing to fight back when she got attacked either. Again, Pits are not aggressive dogs that should be banned.
post #12 of 42 Old 04-14-2010, 05:02 PM
5th Gear

Shouldn't you be going after the pitbull's owner? In my opinion you'll have no grounds against Petsmart. Why should they have kept the pitbull from entering in the first place? It'd be like getting robbed a supermarket, then suing the supermarket because they couldn't discern "dangerous" people and keep them from entering.

That said, I'm a dog person and I hate pitbulls. I have a husky and would probably feel the same way if it got attacked

2010 I4 Accord LX-P
Polished Metal Metallic
post #13 of 42 Old 04-14-2010, 05:14 PM

^ If PetSmart openly welcomes dogs into their establishment, then they are in some ways responsible and liable for any thing that may happen within their building. What if a customer was attacked by the dog? It's no different. They'd be responsible and liable as well.
post #14 of 42 Old 04-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Variable Cylinder Mgmt

Send a message via AIM to masterchen Send a message via Yahoo to masterchen
It is not the nature of pitbulls to be aggressive. It is bad parenting and training.
I hate that a few bad apples can ruin the bunch and the reputation of a dog breed.

On another note, OP, I do hope that your Jack Russell recovers ok.

2010 Accord EX-L V6 5AT Sedan (no navi) in Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Cargo Hooks|Cargo Net|Trunk Tray|Splash Guards|Bonnet Protector|Interior Illumination|Illuminated Door Garnish|Takeda SRI|WeatherTech DigitalFit Floor Liners|3M Color Stable Tint 35%|Debadged|LS430 HID projector retrofit|Nokya Hyper Yellow Fogs|HIR DRLs|LED Switchbacks|Inspire decklid spoiler|TSX 17mm RSB|leather shift knob|lower grill guard|USB Kit|roof spoiler|SS brake lines
post #15 of 42 Old 04-14-2010, 05:51 PM

I hate pit bulls with a passion, why people have such lousy pets as that bred is beyond me unless you need one in the Bronx, Watts, East LA. Personally I would love a law to ban them as household pets.

06 EX-L 6 speed V6 sedan, 101K Traded in

2011 Mazda3s Hatchback automatic
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.