Wind Noise After Disabling ANC and Tweeter Install - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 05-15-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Wind Noise After Disabling ANC and Tweeter Install

first, the issue... question at the bottom.

did a full audio upgrade on my 13' Sport complete with components up front, coaxials in the back, 4 channel amp for the speakers plus a powered sub all running off the stock deck... ever since the (initial) install my car now has increased wind noise when driving, usually above 30+ mph and gets louder with increased speed, that sounds to be coming from either the corner side mirror near the sail panel/tweeter trim garnish or just slightly up the A-pillar. the kicker is this increased wind noise is only coming from the driver's side and not the passengers side.

now the background and long story...

had the equipment installed at what i thought was a reputable shop and they royally screwed the install. i'd spend all day if i posted the stuff they did wrong. long story short i took my car to another shop to correct the fubar work of the first place. i only bring this up because part of me wonders if the first shop possibly did something to cause the issue... at first, i just chalked up the noise to the ANC being disabled (first shop cut the wire at the map light assembly - i know because i watched them do it) but its curious because it's only the driver's side and not the passenger side. the 2nd shop who did things right checked all the grommets, seals where wires have been run, etc, and no luck. we even pulled the fuse to the audio to double check it wasn't some sort of noise being put out by the speakers even with the stereo off.

i printed out the TSB due to excessive wind noise and gonna run through those steps to see if one of those solutions fixes it, but beyond that i'm stumped and so is the install shop. they said their next step would be to disassemble the A-pillar to see if's something up there. i'm not gonna have them do that, but the next time i take my car to my mechanic for service (private garage that just does Hondas) i make ask them to take a look if i cant fix it by then.

do any of you all that have disabled ANC, or installed tweeters on Sport or LX trims, also experienced this? i would think the noise would be apparent on both sides if it was truly to losing ANC but maybe i'm wrong on that?

13' MSM Sedan Sport MT
08' BBP Coupe EX-L V6 AT sold
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-16-2017, 07:03 AM
6th Gear

Garage
I hate it that you had such a bad experience with the first shop, but hopefully your faith was restored by the second shop. As for the noise, I hate to say it this way, but there is no real way to tell if the install is the culprit, especially considering the seals were verified to be in good shape. My next suggestion was to verify the noise wasn't coming from the tweeters themselves, but you mentioned pulling the fuse. There isn't anything in the pillar that I can think of that would be making any sound, or letting any excessive wind noise in. I would see how things turn out after the TSB is look at. I don't know if this helps, but my sedan has some wind noise as well, even though I don't notice it until someone else brings it up,

post #3 of 21 Old 05-16-2017, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Lashlee,

thanks for the comments. faith was definitely restored by the 2nd shop, just kicking myself for not going there first, but hindsight is what again?

as far as the wind noise unfortunately its audible even with my stereo set at a pretty high volume. this is pure speculation on my part but something has to have been messed up on that side of the car, just dont know what. like i mentioned in my first post, i had initially chalked it up to the ANC being disabled but when i did a QA run with the 2nd shop after their install and was riding shotgun it was remarkable, to both myself and the installer, how much more wind noise was on the drivers side then the passengers.

yesterday after work i checked procedure A and procedure B on the wind noise TSB 13-010 http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at...8&d=1371909599

the run channel nub was in the hole on fix A and on procedure B i didn't note what i could tell was any missing sealer. there was a sort of rubber stripping along the area the TSB called out for missing sealer, but it all looked OK so note sure about that one. i didnt bother with any of the B-pillar troubleshooting because the wind noise is noticeably from the rear side window corner/A-pillar.

like i said, im stumped... i guess i'll have to wait till i take it in to my mechanic but to be honest im afraid of spending some $100-200 in labor for them to not find anything either.

13' MSM Sedan Sport MT

post #4 of 21 Old 05-16-2017, 08:07 PM
6th Gear

Are you saying that you think the ANC being disabled is allowing you to now hear wind noise? It is my understanding that the ANC doesn't mask wind or road noice, only engine noise.

2017 Toyota Highlander XLE. Yeah, so call me a traitor!!
2013 Accord Sedan EX-L Nav., Basque Red Pearl II; 100,000 miles
2004 Odyssey EX-L, Havasu Blue Metallic, 245,000 miles when my eldest son took it over
1998 Accord LX Sedan 5-speed, Heather Mist Metallic; went to live with my youngest son. Died Jan. 2015 with 246,000+, (right front axle broke).
post #5 of 21 Old 05-17-2017, 07:36 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Well that stinks. I wonder if there isn't something inside the door panel that opened up during the door speaker install. Can you pull the door panel to see how that looks? Maybe the vapor barrier has a tear or hole near the front upper part of the door.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-17-2017, 08:19 AM
Call me Z

I wonder if the 9th gen has dual mics like the 9.5 does because of that's the case, technically, your ANC has not been disabled properly. What the first/second shop should've done was disconnect the module behind the dash to correctly disable ANC. The noise you're experiencing is likely because ANC is now only halfway functional. Again, this depends on if you have dual mics like the 16-17 Accords do.

2017 White Orchid Pearl Sport k24 CVT
Stock as **** but I love it

2005 Satin Silver Metallic LX sedan k24 5MT
Had a bunch of suspension and stereo mods. R.I.P. 4/17/17
post #7 of 21 Old 05-17-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaBob View Post
Are you saying that you think the ANC being disabled is allowing you to now hear wind noise? It is my understanding that the ANC doesn't mask wind or road noice, only engine noise.
yeah that's what i suspect. how this all played out, i go and pick up my car at the first shop and as im driving away the powered sub blasts what i can best describe as a loud reverb type feedback. it was so loud i was afraid the thing was gonna blow. i circle back to the shop and tell them what im hearing and mention that i dont think the ANC was disabled properly. as im re-evaluating the install (and making a mental list of all the stuff that's screwed up) the tech removes the overhead map light where the microphone assembly is in the front of the car and cuts the wire. they acknowledge that the rear needs to be disabled as well but that hopefully this at least takes care of the feedback coming out of the sub for now (it did) and for me to make a list of stuff i want fixed and to bring the car back for them to make the install right. by this point it was 8pm on Saturday so i'd need to bring back the car Monday. driving later that night i immediately noticed the wind noise but i was too pissed off with the crappy out of phase install to really pay mind to it. it was the next morning driving on the freeway without the stereo on that i really noticed the wind noise. the fact that i picked up on this wind noise immediately after picking up the car from the first shop... it's either the ANC or the fubar install, too much of a coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
Well that stinks. I wonder if there isn't something inside the door panel that opened up during the door speaker install. Can you pull the door panel to see how that looks? Maybe the vapor barrier has a tear or hole near the front upper part of the door.
thanks, i'll have to take a look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerteg View Post
I wonder if the 9th gen has dual mics like the 9.5 does because of that's the case, technically, your ANC has not been disabled properly. What the first/second shop should've done was disconnect the module behind the dash to correctly disable ANC. The noise you're experiencing is likely because ANC is now only halfway functional. Again, this depends on if you have dual mics like the 16-17 Accords do.
mine is a 13' Sport. from what i understand we have dual mics in terms of a single mic in the front and a single mic in the back in the rear deck (which the 2nd shop has confirmed they disabled by cutting the wire as well). on a side note the first shop somehow also damaged the microphone assembly in the front so im currently without hands free calling (i can hear them, they can't hear me). i ordered a salvage unit warrantied for 30 days that is supposed to arrive today and going to take that back to the 2nd shop for install (free) that should hopefully give me hands free calling back. when i do i'll ask them about disabling the module behind the console. i know there's a couple threads around here of folks doing it that way, i'll try and dig one up to take to the 2nd shop with me.

13' MSM Sedan Sport MT
post #8 of 21 Old 05-17-2017, 09:11 AM
Elvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerteg View Post
2013 has 2.

How to disable the ANC/ASC (active noise cancellation) on the 2013 Honda Accord

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous

Please help improve the DA search function add tags to your/others posts and threads. Anyone can add tags to any thread. TIA
post #9 of 21 Old 05-17-2017, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

so i sent a PM a few days ago to board member keep_hope_alive and he says there isnt dual mics in the 13' Sport, just the one in the rear? i could have sworn there was a mic in the front and back...

geeze, now im wondering (1) if the microphone assembly is really damaged and what actually happened is that my hands free mic wire got cut by the first shop and (2) if the ANC is really disabled in the rear and that's what is causing the wind noise? if that's the case, why would the loud sub feedback stop from cutting the wire up front if that wasn't an ANC mic?

now i'm really confused...

13' MSM Sedan Sport MT
post #10 of 21 Old 05-17-2017, 09:45 AM
6th Gear

Garage
The cutting of the front mic would validate the loss of the HFL and the lack of isolation of the ANC. Hopefully shop two will find the real culprit and you'll happy, even though you've had to go through some hurdles to get there!
post #11 of 21 Old 05-17-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Lashlee,

yeah i hear you, im just wondering if i need to skip the 2nd shop altogether and just go to my Honda mechanic since the 2nd shop didn't know what to do at this point either besides disassemble the A-pillar...

13' MSM Sedan Sport MT
post #12 of 21 Old 05-17-2017, 11:12 AM
Elvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalkid View Post
so i sent a PM a few days ago to board member keep_hope_alive and he says there isnt dual mics in the 13' Sport, just the one in the rear? i could have sworn there was a mic in the front and back...

geeze, now im wondering (1) if the microphone assembly is really damaged and what actually happened is that my hands free mic wire got cut by the first shop and (2) if the ANC is really disabled in the rear and that's what is causing the wind noise? if that's the case, why would the loud sub feedback stop from cutting the wire up front if that wasn't an ANC mic?

now i'm really confused...
@keeping_hope_alive would be the goto guy in this instance. This Sport, EX, EX-L, Touring having onesy-twosy this and/or that is frustrating.

Sorry for the confusion with my link there.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous

Please help improve the DA search function add tags to your/others posts and threads. Anyone can add tags to any thread. TIA
post #13 of 21 Old 05-17-2017, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Miker,

no need to apologize, i appreciate all insight at this point...

UPDATE:

called my Honda shop, they were willing to look at it if i wanted to bring it in but they referred me to a 3rd shop (i know, i know...) that they refer customers to specifically because of their experience in dealing with late model Honda electronics. talked to them OTP and they suggested 2 things for me to do on my own before i bring it in to them (if i wanted to)...

1) WD-40 all along the rubber seals of the window/A-pillar to make the rubber expand a bit just in case something wasn't also sealed right. did this and no luck

2) pull both fuses from the boxes near the battery (i have 1 for the powered sub, another for the 4 channel) just to double check its not noise through the system. did this and strike 2, still wind noise

if i wanted to bring it in they said they would re-wire what's been cut by the 1st shop to see if that brings back HFL and they would disconnect the ANC through the module behind the dash (their preferred way of disabling ANC, which they admitted, they found through trial and error). so good news is at least i found a place that knows the finicky nature of the Honda ANC and aftermarket installs...

13' MSM Sedan Sport MT
post #14 of 21 Old 05-18-2017, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

so i think i found the wind noise culprit. after troubleshooting various things yesterday afternoon and comparing the passenger side to the driver side i noticed that it looks like this rubber seal within the door panel, maybe the window regulator, is loose and not attached completely to the door (see attachment). the picture is when the front window is all the way down, its like the rubber stripping pulls away from the door. when the window is up it "pushes" the stripping back towards the door so it looks flush and tight but i suspect this to be the cause.

im not 100% sure this is whats causing the issue - i havent taken the panel off and fixed it - but it would make sense given the general area i hear the noise.

on a side note, just to vent about the first install, ie the one that keeps on giving, i cant lower my passenger window 100%. i noitced this when testing for the wind noise on the driver side. its like the window is hitting the speaker magnet or some other piece of metal short of going all the way down. so both panels need to come off, sweet.

ill keep this thread updated with any progress
Attached Images

13' MSM Sedan Sport MT
post #15 of 21 Old 05-19-2017, 04:18 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Hopefully that is the culprit! Yet again I'm glad that you found a shop that is more in tune with what needs to be done with the finicky ANC circuit. The windows should roll down, at least mine do with some beefy midbass' that I have!

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.