Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

My Son's 97 SE Coupe

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Accordlover 
#1 ·
Here is my Son's car and another shot of two of our other vehicles.

Patriotic...eh?

:lmao:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Thats quite a fleet and all looking great! One of the fellows down the street has a red Accord just like your son's, same wheels and all. Both yours and his look great after 10 yrs.

#3 ·
Thanks

The truth is that my father originally bought the car and passed away last year. Two years ago he gave it to my son who lovingly takes care of it.

He used to work in the detail shop at the local BMW dealership, so he knows how to take care of a paint job, and he teaches me a thing or two in the bargain!

He's replacing all of the moldings with new OEM parts, and choked when he found out how much new rocker moldings are.

They are also saying that he needs to remove the windsheild to replace the front windsheild moldings???

#5 ·
The Red accord looks great. If I were him I would just leave the windshield moldings, they're really not that visible; and you don't risk screwing up on the re-installation which could cause leaks etc. Has he tried any products that restore plastic? Or even a more updated look (and cheaper) is to remove all the plastic trim along the bottom of the car (mud guards too if he'd like) and have it painted Red. Just make sure the paint is one suitable for plastic. A good body-shop should charge no more than $150 for something like that. And it will look like a newer Accord. But if he likes that Black trim then he should just replace it. JM $.02

Thanks for sharing.

PS - I know it's only at 80k, but have the belts been changed? They're due at 7yrs/90k.

#8 ·
Well, he's committed now :lmao: he removed and bent the driver's side.

He has the new set, and the windsheild is micro pitted from road miles, so a replacement probably couldn't hurt all around

#6 ·
The timing belt and water pump have been done, but dammit, he never gets around to doing the thermostat!

My pet peeve.

#7 ·
That's muy importante!

#10 ·
Here's another suggestion.

Save the money from the windsheild (if you replace it while it's still good and it gets a rock thrown at it he'll regret it.) and repalce the window seals. By now they should be dry and somewhat keeping the windows from going up as fast as they could. It's a common problem on older Hondas.

#12 ·
I really do suggest it. Mine are going to run me about 350 for an isntall on all 4 doors. They start curling, and basically dry rotting. the curling will make you notice new wind noises. I have a nasty one on the passenger one. It's so annyoing! Gives me a headache if I'm not driving. To hold me over until I decide to spend $350 on rubber, I'm religiously using silicone spray in the window channel. It makes a real difference!:yes:

EDIT: Repalcing them is almost prevennative mait. in a sense because it will make your window motors last longer.

#15 ·
#14 ·
It's automatic

Runs like a sewing machine, but the forged pistons clatter when cold

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.