07 Accord EX-L V6 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Despite claims on here to the contrary, timing chains don't last forever either, but I think it's a safe bet to say it wouldn't need replacement nearly as often as the timing belt of the V6 (which I believe is currently at 105K miles or so, someone else will correct me I am sure)....
Honda says 60-90K on their FAQ in the owner resources
. In the owners manual for my vehicle, it says do it according to the maintenance minder system or every 60K miles if:
- You drive in high ambient temperatures (over 110º F / 43º C)
- You drive in very low ambient temperatures (under -20º F / -29º C)
- Frequently tow a trailer
Mine will be changed every 50K miles regardless of Honda's recommendation. I won't chance one breaking on me and destroying the engine. Had one break before on a Volvo, but thankfully that was a non-interference design engine and didn't cause any damage. Did set me back a bundle as I was 150mi away from home, so I had bills for a rental car, UHaul & trailer, and hotel room. Not fun.
If you're buying a used V6, make sure you find out about the timing belt. If it is at a dealership and has 50K or more miles, I'd make changing it a part of the deal.
• 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2DR 4wd V6 6MT, Stone White / Grey
• 2007 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT, Alabaster Silver Metallic / Black Leather, SOLD Feb 2010 with 14,620 miles
• 1998 Chevy Blazer LT 4wd, 4.3 Vortec V6, white / black leather, 165,256mi
• 1991 Volvo 744 SE turbo, M46, red / black cloth, 99,580mi