Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Help me diagnose a starter issue?

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  rszappa1 
#1 ·
Hey guys!

So I've been having these intermittent issues with getting my car started.

It usually only happens during cold starts, and sounds like the battery is drained, but after a couple of cranks starts right up.

I took it to my mechanic a few months back, he told me it was the computer and reset it. But now it's back.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

https://youtu.be/h29bJPabA4A

#2 ·
You don't get that symptom with drained or low battery. You get the quick flashing dash action with a low battery. I think the solenoid on the starter isn't engaging and the only way to find that out is to take the starter out and test it.

#3 ·
Agreed....can you bang on the starter with a hammer while a buddy tries to start it? Be careful, of course, of where your hands are when the car suddenly starts- don't rest your hand on the serpentine belt.

Possibility number two would be the battery cables. It might be corrosion on the cables or the connection points of those cables to either the ground (negative cable- black), or to the starter itself (positive cable- red).

It has to be one of those two things, based on your video....you are in Chi-town, so it might be corrosion. But the hammer test will answer "t-rd"'s starter symptom question fast.

#4 ·
Thanks for the prompt response guys. I'll ask my brother to help with the selanoid test as soon as I get home.

I'll update with the results.

#5 ·
Looks to me that it starts perfectly fine.

What I couldn't see is the green flashing key light on the dash. Every now and then randomly, my car won't start and the green key light is on thinking I'm trying to start it with the wrong key. I open and close the door and it starts.

#6 ·
Have you measured your battery voltage? Check it after sitting overnight, before starting. It may be slow cranking and starting with just enough voltage. (I haven't been able to view your video yet)

#7 ·
Make sure the battery is charged, and apply 12 volts directly to the starter (still on the motor). Got a couple good wires (about 3' long) with alligator clips on one end? It's easy to do on the V6, don't know about the I4.

#9 ·
Sounds very similar to what happened to my 05: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtRRpQJwmKo&feature=youtu.be (original thread: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/15-7th-generation/64759-2005-accord-2-4-ex-trouble-starting.html)

In the video, it struggles to start but when this same issue started happening, I was getting the same exact symptom on your video. It turned out to be the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) on the throttle body that needed cleaning (it had carbon build up). This problem came and went throughout the course of about a year.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the input guys! It was truly appreciated!
Here's an update:

Testing the battery turned out a healthy battery, but I replaced it anyway via Costco's generous warranty on their Interstate Batteries.

Ground cables replaced just incase, though there was some corrosion leading up the cable going towards my amp. I'll have to replace that soon.

Finally, after it all, we replaced the starter and boom. Good as new, and starts like a champ. Luckily my buddy knew a very good mechanic that does side work and all in all it cost me $235 total to replace, barring my towing expenses to his personal garage.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me through the years and hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving holiday!

Reactions: jimijam
#13 ·
For sure! We should all do a meet sometime.
Though, my Accord is a 4 banger. Manifold had to come off. :thumbsdow

#16 ·
Thanks man, the OEM starter reached 129,000 miles. Not bad, I expected something to go bad.

It's more like the amount of starts that wear out the brushes. Usually the brush is the issue, but occasionally the solenoid. I have 213k miles on my 07 V6 but don't stop and restart often since I drive long distance, still on the original starter. I have a backup starter off a 50k miles Accord ready to go when I need to swap. I also have a backup alternator ready to go. Those 2 things you should buy OEM used off a low mileage car. I got both for $50 each.
I didn't know that the brushes wear out based on the amount of starts. My alternator gave out earlier this year and replaced it with a Pepboys alternator. So do you think in the end its worth constantly turning off and turning on your car during long stops?

Reactions: DreaminAccord
#15 ·
It's more like the amount of starts that wear out the brushes. Usually the brush is the issue, but occasionally the solenoid. I have 213k miles on my 07 V6 but don't stop and restart often since I drive long distance, still on the original starter. I have a backup starter off a 50k miles Accord ready to go when I need to swap. I also have a backup alternator ready to go. Those 2 things you should buy OEM used off a low mileage car. I got both for $50 each.

#17 ·
I have a backup starter off a 50k miles Accord ready to go when I need to swap. I also have a backup alternator ready to go. Those 2 things you should buy OEM used off a low mileage car. I got both for $50 each.
This is something I need to do, but haven't put any real effort into because I have another vehicle. Next trip to the JY, I'll be looking around. Thanks for the reminder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.