Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What do you guys think of my power steering fluid?

4K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  RickBlaine 
#1 ·
I did a drain and fill of my PS fluid today just as a preventative measure before winter and this is what it looks like. I've done this a few times in the past so it's not all old but not all new either.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like it was drained on time.

Btw, I think you should've posted this in the "So what did you do to your 7G today" thread instead of making a new thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
sorry for hurting your feelings

#6 ·
it feels about the same. I don't see how it makes a difference unless its fithy.

#13 ·
And just an FYI to everyone, the turkey baster method is messy and can drip fluid everywhere. I recommend dumping it upside down in place, or getting a vacuum pump to get the fluid out.

#18 ·
Looking at the fluid, I think it should still be in the power steering reservoir. Once you saw what it looked like in the turkey baster you should have squirted it right back in. A waste of good fluid IMO.

Reactions: chris918
#27 ·
You just wait until I post my 10K transmission drain and fill old vs new fluid comparison :thmsup:

#20 ·
That looks pretty good, I just did mine as well to freshen it up. I disconnected the hoses and dumped it out after putting some rags under the reservoir. I found the hoses to be brittle and a bit dry rotted so I ordered new ones at the dealer. $14 with new clamps and fluid. Inspect those hoses.

#28 ·
I replaced one of them a couple years back when it was leaking. And I ended up having to replace all of the return lines too as they were seeping. I don't know why the just decide to leak. Maybe the fluid eats them? Maybe if the fluid gets old it eats them?

#21 ·
I changed the return hoses about a year ago. There are 5 or 6 different hoses attached between hard lines. The little screw clamps are pretty sturdy though, didn't replace those. Power steering fluid must be some harsh stuff, because I had already changed the seals on the pump a few years ago because fluid was starting to seep through the seams.

#29 ·
I agree because I had to do mine too. Thankfully it's cheap and easy to do that project, and if I have to do it again I'd be tempted to buy a used pump, rebuild it, and then just swap it on when I have the time.

#30 ·
For the record, I've never changed the PS fluid on my old 98 V6, and I didn't have any problem. On this 07 V6, I've changed it only once in 213k miles and never have a problem. The power steering system doesn't get super high pressure like the brake lines. The one thing you should do is to reseal the power steering pump after about 150k of usage. The large o-ring inside the main pump housing starts to break down and develops a leak.

You should be concentrating on (what I focus on):
- transmission fluid changes
- transmission pressure switches' changes
- oil changes
- suspension and tire wear
- brake calipers pin re-lube
- brake fluid changes

I don't even have PS fluid service in my spread sheet.

#32 ·
better do it asap then

#36 ·
I do ONE drain and fill every 15k miles. Don't lie. The truth (being wasteful) hurts sometimes, but you don't have to get all defensive about it.

If you wouldn't take every opportunity to advise anyone and everyone to needlessly change their fluids WAY more often than necessary, I would be inclined to ignore every post you make. I doubt either of us is going to get what we want though, right?

#38 ·
I honestly thought I read you saying you do a 3x3, not a 1x3, every 15k. So 10k is wasteful but 15k is perfectly fine. Got it.

#37 ·
Jeez... relax guys. LOL. I'm glad all our cars are well taken care of. We need to relax a little. Let's all meet in Colorado. ;)

#39 ·
BKFLSH, I'm on my phone now but when I get home I'm going to go look for the post where you SPECIFICALLY said you do a "3x3 every 15k" and then I'm going to rub your nose in it like a dog. If you find it before me and edit it then fine I'll stand corrected.

#40 ·
Go ahead and waste your time, but I've never done a 3x3. I don't like the idea of pouring out the fluid so soon after I poured it in (I've repeated that many times, so those posts shouldn't be hard to find). I like to get some use out of the fluid. ONE drain and fill every 15k miles keeps the fluid fresh enough that a 3x3 will never be necessary. I also have a V6 automatic, vs your I4. If you don't know the difference, you haven't been paying attention.

#41 ·
I am closing this thread.

When it goes from discussion to vengeance, it has lost its way....

Please guys, don't let us become like the 9th Gen exhaust and wheel guys where everything goes to heck because of an instigator.

chris918- you changed your fluid, OK fine. Nice work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.