Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

2004 Honda Accord EX 2.4L AC compressor wires repairable?

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Drew03Accord 
#1 ·
Hello!

I recently acquired a 04 Honda. Unfortunately the AC compressor does not work! The previous owner said one day the AC stopped blowing cold air. He popped the hood an saw that one (or both) of the wires connecting to the compressor popped off. He didn't want to fix it so he purchased and installed a serpentine belt meant for Accords without an AC compressor and just left it as is. The ends of the wires appear damaged. I was wondering if anyone thinks there may be a way to fix this without installing a new compressor? I much rather take a shot at fixing it before I slap a new compressor in there. Any ideas? :smile

I'm not sure exactly how the compressor works...I'm assuming one wire is positive and one is negative. Does anyone know exactly where the positive or negative wire connects to the compressor?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If the previous owner went through the trouble of making sure the belt wouldn't go around the air conditioning compressor I would guess that the compressor pulley no longer spins. Reach your hand down there and see if you can spin the pulley. As far as the clutch coil wires go, sounds like the coil got very hot and melted the wires. If the pulley turns, see if the clutch turns independent of the pulley.

#3 ·
Yeah if the compressor shaft turns, I'd replace the coil magnet thing. It will come attached to good wires that you can hook back up.

#5 ·
Once you find out if the clutch (compressor) turns also, you can look up the coil by year, make, model, engine size, ect at your choice of parts supplier. When you said the pulley spins, make sure it spins easily and smoothly.

#8 ·
I finally got the chance to replace the clutch/coil/pulley on my compressor! The AC blows cold now, but when the engine is idling with the AC on it seems very rough. Without the AC turned on it is fine. Is this normal?

Is there a relay I should replace as well? I did replace the burnt coil fuse.

In case it helps anyone else...I added some pictures of what my coil/magnet/pulley looked like as I pulled it off. Not sure how it came to look like that!

Attachments

#9 ·
Those clutch idler bearings are toast. The bearing can last indefinitely if the lubrication is kept up with. It gets noisy as it loses lubrication, so you are given fair warning. It's a good habit to spin the idler by hand and observe smoothness, whenever serpentine belt is removed. Chalky or rough, means it needs grease, or is done if you let it go for too long.

That right-most small seal in your last pic, is the bearing seal. It can be removed with a pick and grease can be pressed in with fingers, or via a grease gun with an injection needle. The seal snaps back into place with fingers. Removing the clutch-idler assembly requires using a puller, which can be found cheap at harbor freight. You also need snap-ring pliers. That's the hardest part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.