04 and 05? - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 10-26-2016, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

04 and 05?

Hey, I am investigating the 7th gen now. I previously posted about the 6th gen compared to Toyotas (mostly, the Camry) but especially compared 6th gen year (models).

I still like them but I want my goal to be buying a 7th gen. It depends how much I can save (looking for work, currently) and how long I can (tolerate) go/ing w/o a car.

I have a few questions about the '04 and '05 models, though, as those years will probably be most available within my budget.

I really hope to find an 05 or newer, though, because I think it will be a) safer b) cheaper insurance. I believe the '05 and up all got the air bags / side curtain and torso or something like that. So, I want that if I can find a car that's in good shape in the budget. For '04, it was an option (I believe) and only available in EX/EXL models? Is that right?

The last part of my question - isn't really a specific question but more of 'what do you think of this plan?' question. I am convinced that AT cars are worthwhile to consider (just have to be careful). I'm not excited to get stick, 5M, but I think it would be the safer choice but that limits my options (my budget, I expect to be around $3K). I'll just look for an '05+ in the best shape, period. What do you think?

If I find one and it's AT, I'll add a Magnefine filter and tranny cooler (and ask here for recommendations regarding which one).

(I read through that one thread who was wondering what to do and I think he should just replace the transmission - mileage was 75K? Wish I could find cars with such low mileage).

On kijiji, I can find import shops which offer tranny replacements from $1200 - $1600-ish, labour and part(s). So, if the worst comes, there's an option to fix it. Better than 3 or 4 grand in which I'd say forget it.

I think I should consider V6 3.0L cars, too.

Any thoughts? I looked at Civics and Camrys but they don't do as well in the crash safety. I was surprised - even with the air bags - it wasn't nearly as well. Wondering why the Accords aren't cheaper in insurance but I didn't check the '05 yet. I figure the '05 is pretty similar to the others - older and newer in 7th gen - plus, it should be cheaper insurance. I found a few and it will be just a bit higher than what I was going to try for - budget wise. I think the fuel economy is all around the same so i4 vs V6 is not much of a debate (V6 will be cheaper insurance; i4 will be slightly better fuel economy). It was my impression, too, that the Accord is cheaper maintenance - parts cost is lower than the ('02-'04) Camry and pretty close to the Civic (I was comparing '06 models).

Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-26-2016, 12:13 PM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
You should drive both, i4 and V6 and see which one feels best for your liking.

If you get a V6, I'd recommend 05+. 03s had tranny issues and some 04s did too. If you get an i4, from 03 and up is fine. Just remember to make sure to check for the timing belt job as it's pretty much overdue on all V6 7th gens. Also, check the V6 #5 spark plug, front middle. Some could get loose and cause engine failure.

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 168k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
post #3 of 24 Old 10-26-2016, 02:12 PM
Uptown Rooter

+1 ^^ I had an 03 V6, my daughter had an 04 V6. Both cars had totally trashed transmissions. Avoid like the plague. 05-plus V6 transmissions are okay. i4 will get better mileage. Be sure to keep fresh Honda fluid in the AT, change every 15-20k miles.
97trophy likes this.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo

post #4 of 24 Old 10-26-2016, 02:34 PM
5th Gear

2006 is when they started adding side air bags as standard here in the US, on my 04 EX it was a $200 option. Make sure all fluid changes have been done. With an auto. trans. make sure the person had kept up with the trans. fluid changes. The 2006 4 cyl. was improved, styling wise, 6 more hp, a little better programing for the auto. trans., etc. Take your time looking, low miles, taken care of cars are out there. 4 cyl. EX - 04 / 05 & 06 LX-SE, EX have front & rear disc brakes, 6 CD changer. 3K, don't know your market, 06 4cyl. going 6K, where I am.
post #5 of 24 Old 10-26-2016, 02:43 PM
Roll Tide!

After you narrow it down to the superior 7.5 Gen cars do the following when you see one you are interested in BEFORE you fall in love, buy a ring, and propose. Pull the dipstick on the AT and Engine Oil. If either are low, dirty-black in color, or smell burnt, runaway. Runaway fast.
06EX-Lsedan and KW2004Accord like this.

2007 V6 AT Sedan
post #6 of 24 Old 10-26-2016, 03:43 PM
Out of Control

If money is tight, go with the i4 auto, any year. Be sure to check for leaks and maintenance records. Fluid changes, to include ATF, are very important. If buying a V6, be aware of the big gotchas. Don't buy early V6 if you can avoid it. I'd stick with 06-07. Unless you are the DIY type, realize that many V6 sellers sell right around the time when the timing belt needs to be changed. The i4 has a timing chain. Oh and read all the stickys at the top of the forum.

Good luck
KW2004Accord likes this.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 196K and counting.
My toughest oil thread: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/15...hing-like.html
Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req): http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/pr...=editsignature
post #7 of 24 Old 10-26-2016, 04:42 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
After you narrow it down to the superior 7.5 Gen cars .
Ditto, save up a little longer and get a 7.5 gen. LED tail lights...
Das Chicken likes this.

2006 Alabaster Silver EX-L Sedan I4 Auto
post #8 of 24 Old 10-26-2016, 05:09 PM
BRWNFLSH now

If you get an 03 EXV6 you get the side and curtain airbags. I don't think you could get the curtain airbags with the 4 cylinder in 03 or 04.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 7000 miles so far
post #9 of 24 Old 10-26-2016, 06:26 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordable View Post

Any thoughts? I looked at Civics and Camrys but they don't do as well in the crash safety. I was surprised - even with the air bags - it wasn't nearly as well. Wondering why the Accords aren't cheaper in insurance but I didn't check the '05 yet.
The 5th gen Camry (02-06) is the equivalent of the 7th gen Accord (03-07), not the 6th gen.

I've had all Toyota's in the past before I had an Accord this past summer. The Accord's insurance is higher than Toyota because it has a high accident rate, high bodily injury claim and higher theft rate due to more demand for parts. While is true that side airbags reduce the accident benefits part of your insurance, it also drives up the collision part of your insurance, because now your vehicle becomes more expensive to fix if it gets into a collision (airbags are expensive).

As for i4 vs V6, if your looking for a city commuter car, the i4 is a good reliable and economical choice. My Accord was an i4 with 316,000km on it when I sold it. If your going to do be doing a lot of highway driving, get the V6, as its more quieter and smoother, and will get similar gas mileage on the highway.

$3000 is stretching it for an 05 model Accord in Ontario. You'd be looking at cars with more than 200,000km and have to make some repairs on it once you buy it.

2007 Lexus GS350
1999 Toyota Solara

YouTube Automotive DIY Videos:

www.youtube.com/user/speedkar99
post #10 of 24 Old 10-29-2016, 04:24 AM
Go Mountaineers !

Garage
I drove an '04 Accord sedan V6 AT for 12 years. I followed the recommendations for transmission fluid changes and never had a problem. I sold it last year with about 130,000 miles. The kid that bought it drops me a line occasionally to tell me the car is doing great. I would say over 50% of the miles were at highway speeds. Don't know if that makes a difference in transmission longevity. It's the most regret-free car I have ever owned.

2016 Honda Accord V6 Touring
post #11 of 24 Old 10-29-2016, 06:54 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Hey, I am investigating the 7th gen now. I previously posted about the 6th gen compared to Toyotas (mostly, the Camry) but especially compared 6th gen year (models).
I still like them but I want my goal to be buying a 7th gen. It depends how much I can save (looking for work, currently) and how long I can (tolerate) go/ing w/o a car.
Get an 06 or newer and get the "drive by wire" throttle.

2006 EX-L Coupe 2.4L 5MT 151,515
Sapphire Blue Pearl w/Ivory Leather
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season + Stock Size.
30.7 mpg.
JBL Power Series P660c (front) P963 (rear)
Alpine CDE-HD149BT with Alpine KTP-445A Power Pack
passed on:
1998 Accord EXL Sedan Auto. Sold @184,170
2000 Focus ZTS Twin Cam junked @150,000
1992 Civic DX Hatch, 5MT traded @ 107,000
first car, 1970 Dodge Super Bee 383 Pistol Grip 4MT
Wife's, 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan AVP/SE Billet Silver
post #12 of 24 Old 10-29-2016, 10:46 AM
BRWNFLSH now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFromMo View Post
I drove an '04 Accord sedan V6 AT for 12 years. I followed the recommendations for transmission fluid changes and never had a problem. I sold it last year with about 130,000 miles. The kid that bought it drops me a line occasionally to tell me the car is doing great. I would say over 50% of the miles were at highway speeds. Don't know if that makes a difference in transmission longevity. It's the most regret-free car I have ever owned.
I'm still driving my 03 V6 at 13 years, and 134k miles, and have never had a major issue. That's why I'm still driving it. It also has drive-by-wire.
salcuta likes this.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 7000 miles so far
post #13 of 24 Old 05-16-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Hey, do you mind if I bump this or should I start a new thread? (Just create new one if that's a better idea! )

I just had an update...except...it's not about me! My brother bought a silver 2005 Honda Accord sedan EX-L, 5spd, for $3K and the only blemishes that we could find so far, is a cracked and scratched rear bumper, foggy headlights and maybe some noise (could be ball joints or something like that? My mechanic I deal with said that major 'culprits' are ball joints and stabilizer links - does anyone agree? I have no idea if he's right or if there's a potential issue with either of those).

It's stick-shift and has 126,000 km. I think it might have been owned by a health professional and is a bit beaten up - some dents and scratches but otherwise, looks pretty good, I think.

It was bought at a Honda dealer (somewhat local) who had just got it as a trade-in.

I really would like (to save up... :-( ....for an 05 - 07 now) look for an 05 - 07 now! I like the car and how it drives - although only been in the passenger seat.

Any thoughts? Stuff to watch for? Currently, I tried to help locate a bumper (cover) but in Ontario, Canada, the options are a recycler - DIY is cheap - but others require you to pay for the entire assembly. Some auto shops in the GTA sell them primed and charge extra for painted/installed.

'Watched a few DIY-polish-the-headlights videos...well, he'll decide what he wants to do about that. It's common so I thought I'd watch the videos if they were short or interesting.

Yep, I would like a 7th (or better, 7.5) gen!
post #14 of 24 Old 05-16-2017, 02:32 PM
Roll Tide!

Quote:
Any thoughts?
When I was young and kicked tires, I was kicking Vettes and Porsches. My how times have changed.

2007 V6 AT Sedan
post #15 of 24 Old 05-16-2017, 03:00 PM
Your Maintenance Minder

Thanked 1,676 Times in 1,167 Posts
Quote:
Hey, do you mind if I bump this or should I start a new thread? (Just create new one if that's a better idea! )

I just had an update...except...it's not about me!

Any thoughts?
I have thoughts....late at night, when the demons come, I think about all the people I had to kill, all the people I had to leave behind, and all the lives I had to destroy in order to get likes on the Facebook. I think about if it was worth it or not....so much pain.

We all thought you were abducted by meth heads and forced to manufacture meth- as we had not heard back from you! Thank Tom Cruise you are alive and well! And Accord shopping!

stiller fan and Das Chicken like this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.