Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Understanding Drive Belt Tensioner - left tighty right loosey?

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  qman 
#1 ·
Looking to replace the drive belt and trying to understand the construction of the tensioner.

So, the bolt is a left tighty bolt? When replacing the drive belt, pretending to tighten the bolt, it actually moves the tensioner arm to release tension (against a spring inside).

Please correct me if I got it wrong.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
From vairous forum posts, I think I know how to do it.

I actually searched the 7000 page service manual (Adobe Acrobat "edit->find"), but somehow nothing useful came up. Any tricks in finding specific topic in the 7th gen service manual? I have the 2005 Accord Hybrid manual, which was much better organized, finding specific procedure was much easier.

#6 ·
that's all there is to it.

You will need a dog bone extension to torque the middle bolt of the tensioner, using modified torque number. No torque wrench's head will fit down there. For the bottom alignment bolt, peel back the splash shield partially, then torque down from above.

I use the serpentine belt tool from Harbor Freight, $15. You will need a 14mm shallow socket.

Attachments

#8 ·
The manual I downloaded might not be genuine Honda manual. It's a 388MB PDF file, 7372 pages. I couldn't find genuine manual, like that of 2005 Accord Hybrid, 2282 pages, but only 57MB, which has everything I need.

#12 ·
iunoe which way the bolt goes but using a medium size ratchet and my lift's bar to extend the handle, i push it towards the car to loosen tension.. breaker bar or anything doesnt fit in the space due to it being so close to the motor mount

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.