2006 Honda Accord Questions - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 01-09-2017, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

2006 Honda Accord Questions

Hi. I recently bought my first car, albeit off of my parents... Anyways, I had a few questions about it. What I have is a 2006 Honda Accord LX Special Edition 4dr Sedan with the 2.4L i4 5 Speed automatic. First off is the only major problem with the car: it burns oil. And my parents didn't notice it until the low oil pressure light came on one day on my mom's way home from work. Immediately she came home and filled it up with oil, but it was driven a good 2-3 miles with the light on. I had my problem with it too. When I first got the car, I underestimated how much it was actually burning and about 3/4 of the way to my next oil change, the light came on. I only drove it maybe 30 seconds before I pulled into some random driveway to put more oil in it. Could this have damaged the engine even more if I drove it with such low oil? Anyways, I just pay a company to change the oil for me because it really isn't worth it to me since it actually costs the exact same to have someone else change it for me instead of me buying all the oil myself. I had a change about 2 months ago and I checked the oil level when I got home after the change and it was a bit above the second hole in the dipstick. Not a huge deal, so I just left it. I just checked it and it's already half way in between the two holes and I've only driven it 800 miles or so. There was some recall to Honda Accords to recent years except our model for oil burning and they were offering to fix it, or so my father told me. Is there anything I can do to prevent/fix/slow down the oil burn? Also, on a side note; is there anything I can do to make the car a little faster? Or am I just stuck with it the way it is until I get a new car? Thanks!

Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Out of Control

I'd worry about the oil issue before making it faster.

You've got an oil burner. Not much you can do, but experiment with thicker oils. I'm not saying you should, but I wonder how that castrol 0w40 european oil would affect the 4cyl oil burners.

2005 EX-L Sedan, i4 + Automatic. over 175K and counting. runs like a clock.
V6 TL-S fsb/rsb
V6 battery upgrade
V6 strut bar
Weathertech floor liners
Tinted windows
New vtec gasket
QSUD 0W20
A01 filter

Most meticulously maintained accord on this site
The Following User Says Thank You to chris918 For This Useful Post:
Zemi (01-09-2017)
post #3 of 29 Old 01-09-2017, 06:10 PM
1st Gear

Garage
When you say you put more oil in the car after the light came on how low was it? In other words much did you add? Your rate of oil burning may very well be within the acceptable range
It is unlikely your mom's driving 2-3 miles with the oil light on is doing any serious damage you need to worry about.
Short answer to your questions on whether there is anything you can do to make it a little faster is IMO no, not really. I am assuming you are using 5W-20 oil in the car? You may want to consider switching brands or perhaps to a 5w-30 oil to see if it helps with your oil burning issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to cbst09 For This Useful Post:
Zemi (01-09-2017)

post #4 of 29 Old 01-09-2017, 06:15 PM
4th Gear

4 cyl. sedans aren't for speed. You can stance them or do suspension to make it handle a heck of a lot better than stock but that is about it. If your serious and still want speed go here with a fat wallet. Engines start at 8k

K24-K340 2.4L Complete Engine - STREET PERFORMANCE | 4 Piston Racing
enne likes this.

2007 Accord Sedan i4 Alabaster Silver

AMR coil overs / Swift Springs 12k/8k
Weds Sport Tc105n 17x8 +42 square / PSS 225/45
TruHart front upper CA's / UR tower bar
Hardrace rear lateral links /rear upper CA's
PowerGrid adjustable low profile endlinks
DBA T2 slotted front rotors, 6-6 calipers
ShadowSpeed ABS trunk lip / 6000k HID lows
The Following User Says Thank You to Lowniss37 For This Useful Post:
Zemi (01-09-2017)
post #5 of 29 Old 01-09-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbst09 View Post
When you say you put more oil in the car after the light came on how low was it? In other words much did you add? Your rate of oil burning may very well be within the acceptable range
It is unlikely your mom's driving 2-3 miles with the oil light on is doing any serious damage you need to worry about.
Short answer to your questions on whether there is anything you can do to make it a little faster is IMO no, not really. I am assuming you are using 5W-20 oil in the car? You may want to consider switching brands or perhaps to a 5w-30 oil to see if it helps with your oil burning issue.
Yeah, I'm using 5W-20 in the car. When the light came on I poured the rest of the oil I had in the trunk in it (around a half a quart) and went to the nearest auto parts store and bought like 4 quarts just to have in my car for extra in case I need it. I put another like half a quart from the other bottle and let it settle for a bit to see that it was just past the first hole in the dipstick. I didn't bother adding more because I knew I was gonna just go get an oil change in a week or so anyways. I can try out 5W-30 and just change it myself next time to see if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowniss37 View Post
4 cyl. sedans aren't for speed. You can stance them or do suspension to make it handle a heck of a lot better than stock but that is about it. If your serious and still want speed go here with a fat wallet. Engines start at 8k

K24-K340 2.4L Complete Engine - STREET PERFORMANCE | 4 Piston Racing
Haha, I don't think that's gonna happen, but thanks for the reply! I was just wondering for price specualtion and if I would even want to put more money into this car if I wasn't gonna keep it for very long. I got it for $2500 USD, and I think I'll just have to keep it 'till after college when I get a new car.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 01-09-2017 at 07:04 PM. Reason: pew
post #6 of 29 Old 01-09-2017, 06:17 PM
7th Gear

Check for leaks before assuming it's a burner.

Heavier weight oil will increase pressure, blowing more oil out if it is in fact burning. thicker oil will leak less though.

Get under it and spray the whole back and right side of the engine with brake cleaner, make it clean, drive it a bit and see where leaks may be coming from.
enne likes this.

04 4mt ex-l Satin Silver/Black

K&N drop in, 6-6 front brake conversion with EBC blanks and Green Stuff pads, ADD Tsx shifter base bushings, '11 Tsx wheels, 35% tint, spoiler, fogs, Phillips Crystal Vision bulbs, OPT7 led foglight bulbs, led interior bulbs, DC5 exhaust finisher, Kenwood head unit, JBL gto5ez, Digital Designs CC6.5 components, JBL p963s, Digital Designs 510C subwoofer, back up camera, about 30 sq. ft. of sound deadening
The Following User Says Thank You to demonics12 For This Useful Post:
Zemi (01-09-2017)
post #7 of 29 Old 01-09-2017, 06:21 PM
5th Gear

Replace your PCV valve, check for leaks as said above. Check oil once a week, add if half qt. low.
CGumina likes this.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 480K
The Following User Says Thank You to KW2004Accord For This Useful Post:
Zemi (01-09-2017)
post #8 of 29 Old 01-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Roll Tide!

Youse gots onez of dem oil burnerz, brah!

Running it that low on oil, and likely a lot more times than that where the light didn't come on, may have already began the inevitable stretching of your timing chain. @Drew03Accord will be along shortly to tell you all about this.

You can marvel mystery oil (mmo) soak the cylinders in an attempt to free up a stuck oil control ring. May help, won't hurt.

If you don't have a leaky valve cover or vtec gasket/o-ring, and the mmo soak doesn't fix it (may slow it down), you should run valvoline high-mileage 5w-30 for two changes, then just start running the absolute cheapest 5w-30 dino oil (think walmart supertech)you can find and get in the habit of checking it weekly or when you fill up with gas.

Oh yeah, if you don't post pics immediately an army of camel flies will descend upon you like an std. Just ask @RickBlaine what that feels like.

2007 V6 AT Sedan
post #9 of 29 Old 01-09-2017, 07:10 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbst09 View Post
Your rate of oil burning may very well be within the acceptable range

It's burning a quart every 1600 miles. That is not normal.

The light indicates low oil pressure, not level. Driving it for an extended period of time with it on is bad news.

2006 Accord SE I4 5AT Sedan - Graphite Pearl - 85k mi
post #10 of 29 Old 01-09-2017, 07:15 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemi View Post
it burns oil. And my parents didn't notice it until the low oil pressure light came on one day on my mom's way home from work. Immediately she came home and filled it up with oil, but it was driven a good 2-3 miles with the light on. I had my problem with it too. When I first got the car, I underestimated how much it was actually burning and about 3/4 of the way to my next oil change, the light came on. I only drove it maybe 30 seconds before I pulled into some random driveway to put more oil in it. Could this have damaged the engine even more if I drove it with such low oil?
Yes, whenever you run a car low on oil, you're causing damage. When the light comes on, the damage is already done. It was probably run low on oil for months. The light is the last step before the engine locks up.

Cars will leak or burn a little oil at some point. The way to freeze frame it, is to check the oil often and top off before it drops below the high mark. If you don't, you're on the fast track to a major oil burner, which I think is what you have now.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 196K and counting.
My toughest oil thread: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/15...hing-like.html
Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req): http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/pr...=editsignature
post #11 of 29 Old 01-09-2017, 07:19 PM
3rd Gear

Check car-part.com for a TSX engine near you. Bump your Accord up to 200hp and hopefully fix the oil burning. Kill two birds with one stone. Maybe.
Goldfinger likes this.

2006 Accord SE I4 5AT Sedan - Graphite Pearl - 85k mi
post #12 of 29 Old 01-09-2017, 07:27 PM
2007 V6 Accord

If the rest of the car is in excellent condition you may consider buying a short block, have the head done locally. That engine should have no problem going 300k - 400K miles if taken care of, which yours wasn't.

OEM Honda Part 10002-RNA-A50 | Cylinder Block General Assembly (Dot)

2007 Accord 4DR SE-V6
244hp 3.0-Liter SOHC
4-Wheel Disc Brakes
5-Speed Automatic
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Ivory Interior
post #13 of 29 Old 01-09-2017, 08:42 PM
3rd Gear

I think you should use this car to 'learn' about cars in general. Give the community a little more info, such as mileage, any smoke (burning) while driving, etc. How's the engine running, the idle, etc.?

1st: are you checking your oil levels correctly? Get a good reading; cold and hot, and make sure you are on a flat surface.
2nd: how much is it leaking? Visually inspect the car to your best abilities, and use the old trick of leaving cardboard under the car to gauge how much leakage you get.
post #14 of 29 Old 01-10-2017, 02:56 AM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
Check your oil weekly, not when the light comes on.

Change the PVC

Try high mileage oil

Check for leaks around the engine

Get ready for a new catalytic converter and an O2 sensor.
jimijam, enne and CGumina like this.

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 165k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
post #15 of 29 Old 01-10-2017, 03:24 AM
Part Hoarder Extrodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by salcuta88 View Post
Check your oil weekly, not when the light comes on.

Change the PVC

Try high mileage oil

Check for leaks around the engine

Get ready for a new catalytic converter and an O2 sensor.
Exactly all of this.

Also, don't bother trying to make it faster.

CM7 Accord EX-L | BB6 Prelude | E36 ///M3 | VA WRX Limited
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.