Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Need some opinions on this 7.5th Gen

1K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  UnknownJinX 
#1 ·
Hey 7th Gen owners!

So one of my buddies is looking to buy a car now, and after looking through different options(like leasing a 10th Gen Civic, which he couldn't since he doesn't have a Canadian driver's license, and it also makes less economical sense in my opinion), we found this Accord sitting on the lot.

It's a 06 Accord EX-L 5AT w/o Navi. It has 108k km(67k miles)on the clock. It had 2 owners before. My friend test drove it and he said the car feels fine. The car did have an accident before on the right front end, cost CAN$800 to fix, which means it's probably not a bad accident. There are some scratches and cracks in the bumper paint(not the bumpers themselves, though), but the dealership is willing to fix them if he purchases the car. Fluids looked good, just forgot to check the auto tranny fluid, which we will check tomorrow.

So here is my question: do you guys think CAN$10900(US$8300 currently) before tax is a good price for it? I think he can take CAN$500 off that. It is quite a high price at the first glance, but it has a lower mileage compared to most Accords of this age(most of them have around 100k miles, and this Accord actually has a lower mileage than my Accord). Also, used cars are pricier than other provinces in Canada(since BC doesn't get much snow, the cars don't suffer from the salt as much).

Here is the link.

I want some opinions from you guys. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, I would imagine the price is unreasonable in the States. The thing is, after looking through 06 Accords in BC, the price on this car isn't so bad. Everything is just so expensive in BC...

I was just a little concerned with the accident. Is a CAN$800 accident a major one?

#14 ·
HOLY CRAP - can't believe that asking price, and at a Honda dealer to boot !! J/K - dealers are the worst out west ... I would've hard balled them, because it's pretty common practice for dealers in BC to tack on upwards of $4k on a used car just because there's a TON of people who don't hustle the price, a lot of overseas money ... So if they were asking $10.8 they probably need $5 and change to profit and make back parts and labour. Man - If I still lived in Vancouver I would've made the trip to the dealer and haggled that island dealer for you.

And to those asking, no, an $800 repair is very minor cosmetic stuff in BC ... Provincial (like a State in the US) insurance ensures that easy fixes, especially when handled through insurance, cost an arm and a leg.

#6 ·
Clean '06 I4 EXL in New York tri-state area with that mileage averages $6500 ~ $7500. Reported accident shaves off $500 ~ $1000, and branded salvage/rebuilt I wouldn't even touch with a ten foot pole.

Yea, that's too damn high. But then again, Canadians already have it bad dollar-wise.

#12 ·
Dang why isn't that sexy car not sold yet. Looks like my 07 SE :)

#15 ·
The accident. That's why.

If the accident is not there, I think he would have bought it already.

HOLY CRAP - can't believe that asking price, and at a Honda dealer to boot !! J/K - dealers are the worst out west ... I would've hard balled them, because it's pretty common practice for dealers in BC to tack on upwards of $4k on a used car just because there's a TON of people who don't hustle the price, a lot of overseas money ... So if they were asking $10.8 they probably need $5 and change to profit and make back parts and labour. Man - If I still lived in Vancouver I would've made the trip to the dealer and haggled that island dealer for you.

And to those asking, no, an $800 repair is very minor cosmetic stuff in BC ... Provincial (like a State in the US) insurance ensures that easy fixes, especially when handled through insurance, cost an arm and a leg.
I know what you are talking about, and I had the same thought about how some rich Asian guys don't even try to bargain.

That said, bargaining is not always easy. I managed to haggle my Accord down a grand with some difficulty.

Then there is my best buddy, who bought a 2010 Civic DX back in 2014. The asking price was CAN$12k I believe. His dad got the car for CAN$10k, but that's after two weeks of fighting with the dealership. This makes me think haggling down the price is not as easy as some people make.

I thought a CAN$800 wouldn't be a huge accident. I mean, a new bumper would cost CAN$500 easy. That said, we will see if there is a clean car with no accidents.

Reactions: bobbo
#13 ·
Serial sticker for the front bumper is here. If the grille was removed you could tell if the bumper was replaced or repaired and painted over. Most shops would spray over it since it is a hidden serial.

Attachments

#16 ·
My current Accord has been hit by a few deer. Here's how my last one went down.

Deer ran into my front driver's side fender. Took it to a body shop and the panel gaps were all sorts of messed up. They also failed to take the hoof dents out of the drivers door. I had them fix and repaint the door and work on the gaps. They couldn't fix the gaps so I had my insurance company let me take it to another auto body shop. When they started taking things apart they found out that the frame (maybe not the frame, but stuff under) wasn't straightened which caused the gaps to be misaligned. They fixed that and redid everything else. Now the gaps are good... but my door is a slightly off color when looking at it in different lights. The paint from the first place was also pealing and chipping away on the hood and bumper.

Lesson I learned? Even though it's supposed to be repaired, it'll never be the same again. I can live with that if I'm saving a bunch of money. IMO, I'd get a 10-20 year old Civic and save money, if that's an option.

#17 ·
When I bought my "Betty White" at the Maple Ridge Honda dealership, it was month-end and they had just started their Canada Day long weekend offload. They were asking $11.5 for the Accord, and $23.5 for my wife's CRV. I spent the entire day at the dealership hustling the prices with them, and ended up driving away that evening with BOTH cars for $21.8 everything signed.

Good tips I've picked up along the way, are to hit up dealerships/car lots closer to month end, because they are much more willing to loose potential profit on a sale if it means getting closer to/hitting a monthly sales target. And also to let them know you have lots of options, but if they are willing to work with you, then you'll buy *whatever car* off their lot. Being polite, and having a good "poker face" during price talks also goes a long way to leaning a sale in your favour.

Reactions: jimijam and salcuta
#18 ·
Wow, you must be really good at this. Like I said, I'd feel lucky if I can get CAN $1K off.

I suppose there are more room for you because 7.5th Gen I4 Sedans and CR-Vs are pretty common cars. You can always hit another dealership. Fully loaded 8th Gen Accord Coupes with V6 and Navi are rarer, and I was not kidding when I said good luck finding a fully loaded 8th Gen 6-6 Coupe. I saw a 8.5th Gen 6-6 Coupe w/Navi a couple of weeks ago and it was gone in a few days.

(Yeah, I wrote this on my phone. Wow.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.