manual transmission radiator for automatic transmission - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 03-18-2017, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

manual transmission radiator for automatic transmission

hi guys, i have an extra auto trans car and wanting to get a new radiator for it. i found lots of better than stock radiator for the manual version, my question is can i use the manual version radiator for the automatic trans car. i understand automatic radiator also have an transmission oil cooler attatched at the bottom of it and manual version doesn't. so can i use the manual radiator and add an external oil cooler unit to make it work? i think it would but not so sure, if anyone has expericence doing it let me know what u think and what work and dont'. thanks in advance!

Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-19-2017, 06:09 AM
Out of Control

the auto trans needs the cooling and temp regulation. Plus you can get a radiator for like $99 that will work just fine from most parts stores.

pszemol likes this.

2005 EX-L Sedan, i4 + Automatic. over 175K and counting. runs like a clock.
V6 TL-S fsb/rsb
V6 battery upgrade
V6 strut bar
Weathertech floor liners
Tinted windows
New vtec gasket
QSUD 0W20
A01 filter

Most meticulously maintained accord on this site
post #3 of 25 Old 03-19-2017, 06:16 AM
Out of Control

Go to OEM Honda Parts at up to 50% off MSRP | Welcome to the Honda Parts Network. and look up then compare the part numbers. If they are the same, then use it.
jimijam likes this.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to t-rd For This Useful Post:
Miker (03-19-2017)

post #4 of 25 Old 03-19-2017, 06:45 AM
analogue interface

Garage
what do you mean by "better than stock"? but yeah, an external oil cooler for the transmission with a manual radiator should work fine.

03 Accord DX: stock (for now) DD
92 240SX: truck engine/baby snail nerd mobile
post #5 of 25 Old 03-19-2017, 08:24 AM
Elvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rd View Post
Go to OEM Honda Parts at up to 50% off MSRP | Welcome to the Honda Parts Network. and look up then compare the part numbers. If they are the same, then use it.
@t-rd

Thanks for the link ! This place is right by the work location. I can use pick-up option.

For folks in the DuPage area of Chicagoland, this is Honda of Lisle.

They must really be new since I never found them in a google search.

You made my day.

One thing I found very interesting is they sell the connectors and pins with pigtails and splice joints. You know how hard it is to find those new.

First order is in already. Let you know how it goes.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous

Please help improve the DA search function add tags to your/others posts and threads. Anyone can add tags to any thread. TIA
post #6 of 25 Old 03-19-2017, 09:06 AM
Texas Ground Pounder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin View Post
i understand automatic radiator also have an transmission oil cooler attatched at the bottom of it and manual version doesn't.
Not sure what year, model or motor you have but my 7th gen AV6 does not have a transmission oil cooler attached or built in to the radiator. To my knowledge, none of the 7th gens do. It has a power steering cooler which attaches in front of the A/C condenser. The 7th gens use a heat exchanger for the auto's which is attached to the transmission itself. So why the radiator would be different for the manual/auto is beyond me. I ended up adding my own aftermarket transmission cooler because they don't come with one.

2003 Accord EX Sedan V6 Auto NAVI (Noble Green Pearl)
Mods:Fog Lights-front & rear TL sway bar-V6 MT shock tower bar-AEM V2-Magnaflow cat-back-Window & Moon visors-Kaminari Lip Kit-Bug Shield-CUSCO Type II TSX Lower brace-Enkei EV5 wheels-Trans Cooler
Audio/Video:audio under construction-KP window up, one touch moonroof, mirror tilt-Dice iPod-Rear Camera-TVandNav2go Video
Wish List:Air Ride-Charger
post #7 of 25 Old 03-19-2017, 09:16 AM
Roll Tide!

my rad
Attached Images

2007 V6 AT Sedan
post #8 of 25 Old 03-19-2017, 09:28 AM
Out of Control

^^

Where the heck do you live?! I get all my OEM parts from honda of Lisle, picked up. Trans fluid is less than $6 a bottle PM me please.

We bought our first 1990 Accord back in 1990 when we immigrated to America. They have been around for almost 30 years.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
post #9 of 25 Old 03-19-2017, 09:50 AM
Elvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rd View Post
^^

Where the heck do you live?! I get all my OEM parts from honda of Lisle, picked up. Trans fluid is less than $6 a bottle PM me please.

We bought our first 1990 Accord back in 1990 when we immigrated to America. They have been around for almost 30 years.
pm'd

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous

Please help improve the DA search function add tags to your/others posts and threads. Anyone can add tags to any thread. TIA
post #10 of 25 Old 03-19-2017, 11:30 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
my rad
That's an AC condenser, genius.
qman likes this.

2005 EX-L Sedan, i4 + Automatic. over 175K and counting. runs like a clock.
V6 TL-S fsb/rsb
V6 battery upgrade
V6 strut bar
Weathertech floor liners
Tinted windows
New vtec gasket
QSUD 0W20
A01 filter

Most meticulously maintained accord on this site
The Following User Says Thank You to chris918 For This Useful Post:
Das Chicken (03-19-2017)
post #11 of 25 Old 03-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Out of Control

The 7th generation Accords with an automatic transmission do have the transmission cooler built in to the radiator. There is no reason you could not use a manual transmission radiator and transmission cooler with themostat. If it is a cost thing, I doubt it ends up cheaper getting a manual radiator and a additional transmission cooler.

One reason to do it would be the issues with the transmission coolers failing inside the radiator and mixing transmission fluid with radiator fluid. That has been a huge issue on the vehicles in locals that use salt on the roads.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold @220k miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr @44k miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold @165k miles
The Following User Says Thank You to greg1c For This Useful Post:
kenshin (03-21-2017)
post #12 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1c View Post
The 7th generation Accords with an automatic transmission do have the transmission cooler built in to the radiator. There is no reason you could not use a manual transmission radiator and transmission cooler with themostat. If it is a cost thing, I doubt it ends up cheaper getting a manual radiator and a additional transmission cooler.

One reason to do it would be the issues with the transmission coolers failing inside the radiator and mixing transmission fluid with radiator fluid. That has been a huge issue on the vehicles in locals that use salt on the roads.
i have a 06 manual, my other extra car is an automatic celica, i was just wanting to upgrade the radiator for it and the manual version radiator has tons of options with all aluminum rad, that's the reason why i wanted to use the manual rad. i guess i just need to add the trans oil cooler unit to it. do i need to add a temp sensor for the oil cooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight witch View Post
what do you mean by "better than stock"? but yeah, an external oil cooler for the transmission with a manual radiator should work fine.
meaning all aluminum build , more rows than stock and higher capacity, it would cool the engine more effectively than stock one. not that stock rad is not good enough but when it's time to replace, y not replace it with a better one.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 03-21-2017 at 04:06 AM. Reason: le merge
post #13 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 02:12 AM
Out of Control

You would need something like this with a fan and a thermostat.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/der...UvQaAmpY8P8HAQ

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold @220k miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr @44k miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold @165k miles
post #14 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 03:53 AM
Part Hoarder Extrodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin View Post
i have a 06 manual, my other extra car is an automatic celica, i was just wanting to upgrade the radiator for it and the manual version radiator has tons of options with all aluminum rad, that's the reason why i wanted to use the manual rad. i guess i just need to add the trans oil cooler unit to it. do i need to add a temp sensor for the oil cooler?
Save your money. You aren't going to see any performance difference other than your wallet being lighter a few hundred dollars.

You're better off staying with the factory radiator that circulates coolant and the transmission fluid through the radiator. If you need an explanation as to why, feel free to ask.

CM7 Accord EX-L | BB6 Prelude | E36 ///M3 | VA WRX Limited
post #15 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 04:34 AM
Out of Control

I cannot speak for the I4 engine. It would be helpful if you state the engine type here.

There is NO transmission cooler built-in integrated into the radiator for the 7th gen V6 Accord. There is a warmer, no cooler. Cooler needs to be added. You do not need to add a trans temp sensor unless you are hardcore racing your auto needing to monitor the temp. But if you are hardcore monitoring the trans temp then you are pushing your trans or driving too hard.

The heat exchanger design is better in my opinion, coupled with an external cooler, because I have seen reports of the o-ring in the fitting of the radiator integrated trans cooler failing on the MDX. When that happens, trans fluid mixes in with the coolant and flows into the cooling jackets of the engine.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.