2006 Accord has Trouble Starting After Sitting Overnight - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 04-20-2017, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

2006 Accord has Trouble Starting After Sitting Overnight

My 2006 4 cylinder Accord was slow to start throughout the Winter and has continually gotten worse as time passes. Starting in early March, after sitting overnight (12 hours) the car would take 10-15 turns of the key to start each morning. When you turn the key it does not crank multiple times and then start, it makes a quick click and then hums each turn. As the car sits now, it takes upwards of 25 turns of the key each morning before it will fully turn over and start up (the outside temperature seems to affect how many times I have to turn the key, warmer less turns, colder more turns). After the car is started for the first time each day, it will start up perfectly fine all throughout the day; I only have the issue during the first start of the car each morning. I have also run the battery on a charger throughout the night maintaining a full charge wondering if this was parasitic drain but the car still had the same issue in the morning. Here is what I have replaced so far:

3/18/17 - Replaced Starter
3/25/17 – Replaced Battery
4/2/17 – Replaced Starter Cut Relay
4/15/17 – Removed “Car-Lok” Immobilizer, Remote Starter and Car Alarm
4/18/17 – Replaced Ignition Starter Switch

I have brought the car to the dealer once already and was told they did not have any trouble starting it... I am bringing the car back to the dealer tomorrow but am just wondering if anyone else might have any idea what could be going on here? Thanks!

Here is a link to a video of me trying to start the car the other day:

https://youtu.be/I9HDC9dj5C4

Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-20-2017, 08:30 AM
Out of Control

Check positive battery cable for any corrosion creeping up into the insulator.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 196K and counting.
My toughest oil thread: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/15...hing-like.html
Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req): http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/pr...=editsignature
post #3 of 24 Old 04-20-2017, 08:43 AM
2006 Accord EX

Sounds like the key isn't getting recognized for some reason or another, all the time.
You do need to have someone check to see if power is getting down to the starter when the key is on, if not...then something's going on between ignition and battery.
I'm assuming that the dealer confirmed the neutral safety switch is ok, correct??..

2006 Accord EX Coupe...157k and counting..

post #4 of 24 Old 04-20-2017, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Accordz View Post
Sounds like the key isn't getting recognized for some reason or another, all the time.
You do need to have someone check to see if power is getting down to the starter when the key is on, if not...then something's going on between ignition and battery.
I'm assuming that the dealer confirmed the neutral safety switch is ok, correct??..
To be honest I think they just started my car up and concluded that everything was fine. Not sure how they were able to start it first try when it takes me over a dozen tries every single day. I tried to start the car in neutral with the same results as in park so I think that would rule out the neutral safety switch.
post #5 of 24 Old 04-20-2017, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew03Accord View Post
Check positive battery cable for any corrosion creeping up into the insulator.
No corrosion, both the terminals have been cleaned up and tightly fastened. Checked a few grounds as well and those look good too.
post #6 of 24 Old 04-20-2017, 09:03 AM
2006 Accord EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboarderi View Post
To be honest I think they just started my car up and concluded that everything was fine. Not sure how they were able to start it first try when it takes me over a dozen tries every single day. I tried to start the car in neutral with the same results as in park so I think that would rule out the neutral safety switch.
That's actually not correct.
You could have symptoms of "no crank, as you describe, with either the car in park or neutral...as that's exactly what the switch prevents happening when it gets corroded or fails entirely. If it's corroded that could explain the intermittent starts...I've seen it happen in other makes.
Be a shame(or not I guess!) if this was the issue all along.

2006 Accord EX Coupe...157k and counting..
post #7 of 24 Old 04-20-2017, 09:16 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Did the car sit for an extended period of time at any point? And once you get it started you say it starts fine the rest of the day. Sounds like it could be the alternator, or a parasitic draw. I read you can check the alternator at home by disconnecting the negative battery cable while the engine is running, and if the car dies then the alternator is bad. I have no idea if that's actually a good idea or not...you can just take the alternator to AutoZone and have them check it for you, I think.

Selene, 1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan, 2.3L F23A4, 136K, liquid wrapped jet black
Harlock, 1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe, 3.8L 3800-II, 120K, sebring silver
Dana, 2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan, 2.2 L 2200, 134K, sandrift metallic
post #8 of 24 Old 04-20-2017, 09:24 AM
Elvira

2006 Accord I4 uses a pressure regulator on the fuel rail and it may be leaking overnite and draining out of the fuel rail.

You start it up from sitting overnite and it is taking an inordinate amount of time to fill fuel rail and pressurize the fuel system.

You can start the engine during the day since the fuel does not have enough time (overnite occurrence) and therefore starts right up every time.

It could also be injector(s) that are leaking fuel into the chamber and flooding the engine.

You might try to start the car after sitting overnite using the "clear flood condition" start method where you hold accelerator down to the floor as you crank the engine. It tells the ECU NOT to apply fuel to the engine so that it may clear the built up gas and will help dry the plugs. Firing plugs with no gas will "dry" the plugs and may help get things started.

Someone may know if the 2006 has this flooded condition method of starting.

If it starts OK right after this you might consider checking the injectors for leaking.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous

Please help improve the DA search function add tags to your/others posts and threads. Anyone can add tags to any thread. TIA
post #9 of 24 Old 04-20-2017, 09:33 AM
3rd Gear

I see your gauge cluster dim pretty severely on failed starts? Do all your lights dim if on - dome, map light, etc..?
If so, i'd suspect electrical - bad ground/battery - though i do see you replaced them all. Bad starter could be it too, even if just replaced. Tap the starter with a wrench/socket one morning, before you try to start it - see if that improves your issue.
post #10 of 24 Old 04-20-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
Did the car sit for an extended period of time at any point? And once you get it started you say it starts fine the rest of the day. Sounds like it could be the alternator, or a parasitic draw. I read you can check the alternator at home by disconnecting the negative battery cable while the engine is running, and if the car dies then the alternator is bad. I have no idea if that's actually a good idea or not...you can just take the alternator to AutoZone and have them check it for you, I think.
Never sat, I drive it every day. I dont think it's parasitic draw as I have run the battery on a charger throughout the night maintaining 100% and immediately trying to start it after disconnecting the battery with the same results.
post #11 of 24 Old 04-20-2017, 10:56 AM
Out of Control

The key to troubleshooting this is measuring the voltage at the starter on the battery cable and the wire going to the solenoid. You will need a helper to turn the key and measure the voltage at both connections. Obviously the battery connection should be reading battery voltage all the time. The solenoid connection should be reading battery voltage when the key is turned to start. If there is no battery voltage on one or both connections then you need to determine why. If there is battery voltage at both connectors and the starter is not turning then it is a bad starter. This assumes the body ground and the engine and transmission grounds are good. Also check that the starter is grounded as well, it should be grounded through the mounting bolts, but it does not hurt to check.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold @220k miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr @44k miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold @165k miles
post #12 of 24 Old 04-20-2017, 12:35 PM
Out of Control

Where did you get the starter from?

You need to do a voltage test before cranking, while cranking, and while the car is running. Also do a parasitic drain test and you should see no more than 35mA.

When I encountered this situation similar to yours last year, it was a combo of a battery with 1 bad cell and a starter with a dying solenoid. My cranking voltage dropped to as low as 7v and there was simply not enough power to turn the starter.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
post #13 of 24 Old 04-20-2017, 02:25 PM
Roll Tide!

Exclamation

Quote:
3/18/17 - Replaced Starter
3/25/17 – Replaced Battery
4/2/17 – Replaced Starter Cut Relay
4/15/17 – Removed “Car-Lok” Immobilizer, Remote Starter and Car Alarm
4/18/17 – Replaced Ignition Starter Switch
PSA: For those that use the search feature and stumble across this thread in the future, take a look at the list above then understand that throwing money and parts is NOT the way to troubleshoot and repair the actual starting problem you are experiencing. Thank you, drive through!

That said, @RickBlaine knows I love the smell of napalm in the morning (er..."my car won't start" threads).

2007 V6 AT Sedan
post #14 of 24 Old 04-20-2017, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

multi-quote is your friend. use it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rd View Post
Where did you get the starter from?

You need to do a voltage test before cranking, while cranking, and while the car is running. Also do a parasitic drain test and you should see no more than 35mA.

When I encountered this situation similar to yours last year, it was a combo of a battery with 1 bad cell and a starter with a dying solenoid. My cranking voltage dropped to as low as 7v and there was simply not enough power to turn the starter.
Brand new TYC 1-17960

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
PSA: For those that use the search feature and stumble across this thread in the future, take a look at the list above then understand that throwing money and parts is NOT the way to troubleshoot and repair the actual starting problem you are experiencing. Thank you, drive through!

That said, @RickBlaine knows I love the smell of napalm in the morning (er..."my car won't start" thread).

Thanks for all the help, you are really helpful.
post #15 of 24 Old 04-20-2017, 03:26 PM
Roll Tide!

Quote:
Thanks for all the help, you are really helpful.
I'm so happy that you completely understood that my PSA (Public Service Announcement) was really helpful in warning others not to do something stupid like you did. Somehow I figured you would melt if I told you to use the search feature (so I didn't) because this issue has been cover well over a hundred times in the past couple of years. I simply opted for helping the masses. Good luck with your problem, bro.

2007 V6 AT Sedan
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.