2006 Accord - Fix it up or just sell as is? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 05-14-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

2006 Accord - Fix it up or just sell as is?

My trusty 2006 Accord EX-L is getting a bit long in the tooth. Mechanically, it has held up well with normal things wearing out here and there and repaired. But there are things that I haven't repaired or replaced.

- Black exterior paint with several spots of clear coat failure
- Windshield wipers don't stop where they're supposed to
- Headliner falling
- Armrest cover broke at the hinges

As well as it's served me over the years, I'm afraid something major will fail soon, so i am planning on selling it probably at the end of the year.

The question is, is it worth it to spend the money to fix all these things? Will I be able to recoup the cost when selling? I estimate it will cost about $2000 to fix it up. I haven't really priced what I could get to sell it but obviously I'll get a lot less with these problems.

What do you all think?

Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-14-2017, 05:58 PM
6th Gear

Garage
It will cost maybe $200 to fix.

Headliner can be fixed (I think) by some spray-on glue like 3M super 77.
Paint? Who cares.
Armrest cover - replace it.
Only the wipers could find you spending some cash. I suspect there's a thing in the motor that tells it when to stop and it is broken/worn.

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
post #3 of 25 Old 05-14-2017, 06:44 PM
5th Gear

If it is $2000 to fix it, dump it.
If it is $200 to fix, keep it.

Reality involves a few more variables.
Only you can decide.
How are you on diy?

2008 Coupe V6

post #4 of 25 Old 05-14-2017, 08:28 PM
Roll Tide!

sell it to @Drew03Accord

2007 V6 AT Sedan
post #5 of 25 Old 05-14-2017, 09:45 PM
6th Gear

My headliner came undone over the rear passenger window. I can't see anything out of that side right now. I actually came on here to do a bit of research. I did some the other day and read that if the foam is attached to the liner it's going to be a lot more difficult/expensive to repair than if it's just the outer layer fabric that came loose. Unfortunately I did the remote window down the other day and couldn't get the rear passenger window up until I got home. That pulled more of the headliner loose.

I'm considering selling mine too. But I know I've taken care of it these past few years and I still owe money on it with it a bit upside down. That's the part that's keeping me from selling it for sure.

2006 Accord EX-L Navi 5MT, Graphite Pearl
2006 Accord EX sedan 5AT, Taffeta White - RIP
post #6 of 25 Old 05-15-2017, 04:45 AM
Your Maintenance Minder

Thanked 1,676 Times in 1,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nouseformonkeys View Post
- Black exterior paint with several spots of clear coat failure
- Windshield wipers don't stop where they're supposed to
- Headliner falling
- Armrest cover broke at the hinge

The question is, is it worth it to spend the money to fix all these things? Will I be able to recoup the cost when selling?
Tons of videos on how to repair clear coat failure using the new 2K sprays and a 3M sponge. Cost is less than $50 and while not perfect, can get you by.

Tons of videos on how to repair your sagging headliner, for cheap.

Check out boneyards or car-part.com for a replacement armrest....

Windshield wipers don't stop at proper place: What did your research tell you the problem is?
The Following User Says Thank You to RickBlaine For This Useful Post:
slimm1469 (05-15-2017)
post #7 of 25 Old 05-15-2017, 05:58 AM
Bout it, Bout it

Those issues are trivial. For the wiper, replace the linkage assembly. Easy DIY.

2002 Honda Accord EX-L SULEV -- 200K miles
2013 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD -- 40K miles
2002 Infiniti I35 -- 120K miles VQ35 BABY!
post #8 of 25 Old 05-15-2017, 06:42 AM
Uptown Rooter

You didn't mention mileage. If the car is mechanically sound and you've changed fluids and done normal maintenance, that list is easy-peasy.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
post #9 of 25 Old 05-15-2017, 06:48 AM
Out of Control

What is the mileage? Those you listed are all trivial cosmetic things, but if you don't keep it mechanically sound then it will fail and you need to spend thousands on another reliable used car or thousands on payments on a new car, so it's up to you.

My cousin has a 2003 I4 Accord with 230k miles. The metal around the edge of the rear right wheel well have rusted completely off, paint is bubbling, which he spray painted over like nuts. The front left fender took some hits, front bumper is the wrong one. But he insisted on keeping the car since it runs so well.

so it is your choice to keep it or not. He has not had anything major fail, despite some oil leaks, which is expected at this age.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
post #10 of 25 Old 05-15-2017, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks for the input, everyone.

The car does not have a lot of miles on it. My office was 15 mile round trip when I first bought it and then I started working from home 7 years ago so I only use it to drive the kids back and forth from school now. I don't remember the mileage, but it's less than 100k. I change the oil/filter regularly but not religiously since I don't put that many miles on it. I had the starter die last year and had the timing belt replaced at the same time.

Originally, I thought I'd have to replace the whole linkage mechanism for the wipers, but it looks like I can just replace one of the bars so that's pretty cheap and I can DIY it. I just hate popping clips because you know one is going to break.

For the center armrest, the plastic anchor points for the cover broke where the 2 screws attach to the hinge so it seems like I have to replace the door base itself and that's around $220.

I'll try gluing the headliner back in place again. Man, I should have done this before the South Florida heat and humidity set back in.

I've seen videos on how to repair clear coat and it doesn't look fun. Hate sanding. But I guess it's worth a shot. The trunk is the place with the worse damage with 3 spots where the clear coat has flaked off. I'm going to be "that guy" that spray painted his car.

As for keeping this car versus buying a new one...I'm not a car guy. I don't have the tools and the space and ultimately the desire to maintain an older car. And I don't know a trustworthy mechanic in my area. I usually replace my car around the 10-12 year mark because I don't want to deal with the hassles of getting stranded somewhere when something inevitably fails. Plus my kids are getting to driving age so I don't want them to be stranded on the side of the road either. And then there's the factor that I would just like a new car.
post #11 of 25 Old 05-15-2017, 09:38 AM
6th Gear

I had my entire headliner replaced for $250.

I paid $2500 for my car and sunk another $1000-1500 in repairs to wear items. It was well worth it to me. Now the car drives like a champ.

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.
post #12 of 25 Old 05-16-2017, 05:29 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
T
For the center armrest, the plastic anchor points for the cover broke where the 2 screws attach to the hinge so it seems like I have to replace the door base itself and that's around $220.

As for keeping this car versus buying a new one...I'm not a car guy. I don't have the tools and the space and ultimately the desire to maintain an older car. And I don't know a trustworthy mechanic in my area. I usually replace my car around the 10-12 year mark because I don't want to deal with the hassles of getting stranded somewhere when something inevitably fails. Plus my kids are getting to driving age so I don't want them to be stranded on the side of the road either. And then there's the factor that I would just like a new car.
Plenty of 7th gen Accords in junkyards. I'd go find one with a console intact and get the part there.

I get the desire for a new car. That's on you. But to me it doesn't sound like a list to get all wound up like it's gonna quit you and strand ya. Miles aren't that high, you've had the timing belt changed already, if nothing else, it would be a good car to start your kids driving in. You know they'll wreck it before it dies of old age.

2005 Honda Accord EX Sedan
4 Cylinder/Automatic
Creeping on 430k
post #13 of 25 Old 05-16-2017, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by forindooruse View Post
Plenty of 7th gen Accords in junkyards. I'd go find one with a console intact and get the part there.

I get the desire for a new car. That's on you. But to me it doesn't sound like a list to get all wound up like it's gonna quit you and strand ya. Miles aren't that high, you've had the timing belt changed already, if nothing else, it would be a good car to start your kids driving in. You know they'll wreck it before it dies of old age.
I am torn about replacing it since it has been reliable. The busted stuff is not the major reason why I want to change it. My original question was whether it was worth it to fix them before selling. Hypothetically (I have not done any serious pricing on what my car would be worth) if i could get $3500 for it in good condition, am I going to see a big hit on that price if I don't fix the paint and the headliner?

And here's another question.

If I do decide to keep it, I'd like to fix it up a bit.

How much does a decent paint job cost? There are a few dings here and there and one paint chip in the hood from a rock that has started to rust. I'm not talking about the Earl Scheib $99.99 special. I had a Prelude back in the day and it was in an accident (not my fault) and I took it to the dealer because they know what they're doing right? But they did a really crappy job. They basically sprayed over the rubber seals so the paint started chipping when the rubber contracted/expanded.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 05-26-2017 at 07:33 PM. Reason: merg
post #14 of 25 Old 05-16-2017, 09:25 AM
6th Gear

Decent paint job is $1500.

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.
post #15 of 25 Old 05-16-2017, 02:27 PM
Roll Tide!

Quote:
How much does a decent paint job cost?
No matter your location, it is less in the winter, and more in the summer.

2007 V6 AT Sedan
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.