Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Going to buy an 07 today.

4K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  hero 
#1 ·
Hi there, new member here.

I found a 2007 Accord with 206,000 miles, automatic i-4. This is going to be my 16 year old sister's first car.

Here's a picture of the Ad.

I already saw the car in person last week and it seemed pretty clean, it had the Check Engine light and the ABS light on. I had him get the check engine light fixed and he brought it to the honda dealer, I guess it had an exhaust leak. So they fixed it and reset the light, he said he drove it 50 miles and it hasn't come back on. I have a OBD2 tester that I will hook up to it to make sure that's the case. I've already test drove it. It runs, shifts, and stops nice. The oil, transmission and coolant look good. I did forget to check the brake fluid (doh!) so maybe that's why the ABS light is on, either way you can pass inspection with the light on. I know one of the rotors is a little scratched, but that's an easy cheap fix that I can do. And tires are probably decent enough to pass inspection.

Overall it's a clean car and I'm excited to pick it up for her today. I guess this post is mainly an introduction since I'm sure I will post here again when looking for help with the car (If I need it!) also I have a little car knowledge I can probably help others with.

If there's any last minute things I should check today before getting the car that's recommend then please let me know or if you feel like I am not getting a good deal, etc. I know the car is below KBB value and I already looked at it and it seems like a legit car.

See less See more
#2 ·
If the car has a service history, look to see if the transmission has ever had the fluid changed. It's not as imperative on the 4 cylinder cars, but it helps. The higher miles means you'll probably be doing some suspension stuff in the future if it hasn't already been done (ball joints, tie rods, etc.).

They're great cars and can go the distance when cared for, hope it works out for you and yours.

Reactions: enne
#9 ·
Wow, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of quick responses I've already received, thanks guys!!

If the car has a service history, look to see if the transmission has ever had the fluid changed. It's not as imperative on the 4 cylinder cars, but it helps. The higher miles means you'll probably be doing some suspension stuff in the future if it hasn't already been done (ball joints, tie rods, etc.).
Thanks, I checked the transmission fluid and it was nice and red, no burning smell at all and during the test drive it shifted smoothly.

The suspension seemed fine as well, although i'm sure you're right about those. Luckily it's something I have experience with so it shouldn't be an issue aside from parts.

The ABS light is most likely related to the ABS sensors, not brake fluid.
Yeah, I was just mentioning how I didn't even check the fluid so that could be causing it. But you're probably right, just a sensor.

How come Carfax was not mentioned?
Before I purchased my 07v6 EX-L Alabaster Silver 7 months ago, I bought Carfax from eBay or CL for $1 or $2.
No car fax, but he does have some maintenance records and he has receipts from the honda dealership that they just completed all the recalls.

Looks like a good car. If you take care of it, it should last a long time - double the mileage it has, anyways. Assuming the sister doesn't drive like I did when I was 16, otherwise it will be rolled into a ball before it dies a natural death..

Good luck with it!
Oh my sister drives like an old lady. lol Thanks!

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
The front compliance bushings are probably worn out, they are a flawed design with poor quality rubber from the get go.

You should add the V6 front sway bar for improved handling, and TL-S front and rear sway bars.

Yeah my car had an ABS light on before I bought it, dealer wouldn't sell me the car until it was fixed.

#4 ·
The front compliance bushings are probably worn out, they are a flawed design with poor quality rubber from the get go.

You should add the V6 front sway bar for improved handling, and TL-S front and rear sway bars.
16 year old sister won't know the difference. Probably be fine as it is.

#8 ·
Looks like a good car. If you take care of it, it should last a long time - double the mileage it has, anyways. Assuming the sister doesn't drive like I did when I was 16, otherwise it will be rolled into a ball before it dies a natural death..

Good luck with it!

#10 ·
Looks like a good deal provided it is not burning or leaking oil that is common on the i4s as of late. Check the exhaust tip for oil, other than that you won't know if its a burner until after you have it a month or two. Leaking should be easy to see. Dude even put V6 wheels on it, which is on @chris918 list of future V6 mods.

#12 ·
Okay. Well we got the car. I drove her the 50 miles home with no issues too. She ran smooth and was quiet. Very nice car.

She definitely seems a lot slower than my V6 RAV4 but that's to be expected lol, she does a wonderful job cruising on the highway though, definitely seems happy gliding along at 70 mph just hovering above that 2,000 rpm, NICE!

Anyway.. we got the car home and have been cleaning the interior up, I noticed two problems with the inside.

1. The glove box doesn't open, unless you hold the latch and give it a slap on the right side... obviously something wrong with the mechanism, my sister said she doesn't mind but I want to fix it for her... any advice? Is there a guide somewhere?

2. The center console stays open (see pic) I also would like to fix this for her as well if possible, guides, hints, tips, etc?

In addition we have some minor things, like a license plate bulb is out, and the rear view mirror is definitely going to need replacing, also the bumper is cracked and going to need to be repaired (currently being held together with duct tape).

I'll get pics tomorrow of the exterior after we clean and wax it.

:)

#21 ·
I tried buffing them out with some plast-X and toothpaste. Also even tried some Acetone lol. I think they need to be sanded down and polished though.

I may give that 3M stuff a try. Thanks for the suggestion

#20 ·
Also the check engine light turn back on... ugh, I guess the exhaust leak didn't fix it.

Anyway, doesn't matter I'm stuck with it, so gotta just move forward and figure it out, handle it.

I plugged in my OBD2 scanner app and this is what it told me

I've already removed the MAF and cleaned it, installed it back and still no change when I retested it.

I did notice that the intake tube had electrical tape wrapped around it, when I removed it I noticed some cracking... so I am going to order a new one, hopefully that will fix it. If not it's back to the drawing board.

Once this emissions crap is solved it's on to fixing the brakes, and replacing tires (repainting wheels too..).

#24 ·
For your Check Engine Light, you can get an in depth diagnosis. I got mine done at my dealership. It was my Air Fuel Ratio Sensor (got from advanced auto parts for cheap) and replaced my catalytic converter from advanced auto parts during Black Friday for $75. Codes been gone ever since. Code was on since 151k after replacing those two things haven't had any codes pop back up and I'm currently at 162k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
I just ordered the SprayMax clear, it might be 3 times the cost of the other stuff, but for $20 I'd rather just do it right and do it once. Hopefully there's enough in the can to do both cars. The only crummy part is it will not arrive until June 20th :( that's 2 weeks away.

#31 ·
It's worth it, and it will do two set of headlights with three coats each but you have to do them at the same time. It won't do a set of headlights and four wheels though. After you activate the clear, you've only got a few hours to use it or it'll harden and die.

Get a respirator or $9 mask at HD or Blows, cover your skin, wear gloves, and use a full shield over your face....that dookie WILL kill you. Do NOT breath it in. Yeah, its dangerous but it just works.

Make sure you remove previous sanding marks with each grit you progress through, otherwise you'll see it after you clear it. Hit up some YouBoob videos. There are some sick vids of guys doing helmets and gas tanks. Good luck.

#28 ·
The photos may have been from a long time ago, and they may have been the only ones the old guy might've had on his computer to upload. Probably doesn't know how to connect a phone to a PC to get pictures off of it, if he had a smartphone. Just a thought. If the car had changed between then and now and he didn't take new photos.

I've purchased sets of wheels off of CL before. Got good deals on them. I dunno about buying used tires, or tires that are still on wheels...the tires still being on them makes me paranoid that the wheels might be stolen, haha.

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've purchased sets of wheels off of CL before. Got good deals on them. I dunno about buying used tires, or tires that are still on wheels...the tires still being on them makes me paranoid that the wheels might be stolen, haha.
Hahaha, good point. I didn't even think about that.

Shop for tires on Home - Discount Tire Direct and you'll be fine.

Buying wheels off of craigslist is fine, but unless you REALLY know your wheels (offset, bolt pattern, hub bore, and sizing), I would say keep what you have and just buy new tires.
Yeah you're probably right, I think I can make the wheels look decent with what I have and will just get some tires for her, hopefully we can find a good deal. Tires are expensive!

Sick bikes!

For headlights, I had an old Corolla that had really foggy headlights. I just used the toothpaste trick. Make sure you grab something that's a bit more coarse. I used Crest 3D White, and it turned out rather well. Good temporary solution.

And that Civic 5-speed is a steal. I wish I could buy something like that when I learned how to drive a manual.
Thanks! I love my motorcycles! Started with cars, then it moved to bikes. I've been addicted ever since.

I already tried the toothpaste trick and got as far as I could with it :(

The civic was such a good deal, it was a neighbor selling it who was some 40 year old guy who my dad knew when he was just a 15 year old kid. Kinda just an outa the blue moment and he basically gave us the car.. very nice guy, gonna have to send him a Christmas card or something this year.

It's worth it, and it will do two set of headlights with three coats each but you have to do them at the same time. It won't do a set of headlights and four wheels though. After you activate the clear, you've only got a few hours to use it or it'll harden and die.

Get a respirator or $9 mask at HD or Blows, cover your skin, wear gloves, and use a full shield over your face....that dookie WILL kill you. Do NOT breath it in. Yeah, its dangerous but it just works.

Make sure you remove previous sanding marks with each grit you progress through, otherwise you'll see it after you clear it. Hit up some YouBoob videos. There are some sick vids of guys doing helmets and gas tanks. Good luck.
Oh man, now you've got me paranoid! I didn't know it was that dangerous. I don't know if I have a full shield, I have glasses and a mask, but I think i'll invest in something a little heavier duty than my usual paper mask I always wanted to try out that 3M mask that's like $30. Honestly, if I had known the risks I may not have ordered in the first place, but oh well, kinda committed now.

Oh by the way, I just ordered this mask here from 3M hopefully it will be enough, I will be working outside and will wear some gloves and just be as careful as I can be. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00079FOK0/

Oh and also! I forgot to mention! I may have fixed the check engine light, I noticed on the intake tube there was some electrical tape, when I peeled it back I saw some cracking, I figured it was a long shot but I should order a new tube, for $35 it was a steal.

As I was replacing it I noticed a huge cut in the back of the old one! Bingo! there's a good chance that was causing issues! I replaced it all and took it for a drive up and down the driveway and the car felt like it had a lot more pep. Wow, here I was blaming the 4 cylinder for being gutless, I was wrong. This thing actually has a good bit of pull to it, very impressed. The light is still off from when I cleared it I will need to drive it around to see if it comes back on (fingers crossed it doesn't!).

Here's a pic of the broken one:

Here's the new one! Nice!

This post has been deleted
#34 ·
#37 ·
Wow that looks great!!! I definitely am going to try that. You just sanded them used rubbing compound and cleared them? That's nuts, I figured you would have had to respray them. Maybe I can get away with that too? Although I doubt it, her's are pretty bad, pitting, rust, etc.

Put a bottle of fuel system cleaner in your gas tank - BG44, Redline, etc. (Amazon). It will help clean the O2 sensor contacts. Clean the throttle body, check plugs (NGK replacements). If you have to replace the O2 sensors use NGK or Denso. Walker brand (OE direct fit) for any exhaust componets. Check sway bar end links.

Excellent thanks! I will wait and see if what we did fixed the problem first. I ran seafoam in my old celica once just figured it could use it and soon after it caused a check engine light. I guess the stuff pushed some gunk through the system into the cat and fouled it.. at least that was what I was told, not sure if true or not.

I had to do that to my '06 and it turns out the nylon "ratcheting" track had fallen off the pin.
Mine had decided not to pop open one day, so I then forced it open and what happens is the pin jumps off the track slide...so I'm sure the same thing happened to the previous owner of your Accord.
When you get it removed, you can see how the whole thing operates.
Looks like a decent car for the money. Hope your sis appreciates you doing this for her.:thmsup:

You're a good brother.
Thank you :)

I will give that a shot. While I am down there, my sister really wanted an AUX port installed. I know there's a plug down there I just gotta research what a good option would be. She has pretty much no money so I will have to find the cheapest one that works for her.

#35 ·
Put a bottle of fuel system cleaner in your gas tank - BG44, Redline, etc. (Amazon). It will help clean the O2 sensor contacts. Clean the throttle body, check plugs (NGK replacements). If you have to replace the O2 sensors use NGK or Denso. Walker brand (OE direct fit) for any exhaust componets. Check sway bar end links.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.