Power steering pump groaning noise... again! - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Forum Insomniac
 
Antarctica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Biloxi, MS
Posts: 483
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Power steering pump groaning noise... again!

Hey all, to start off, my power steering pump used to make a whining noise every time I started my car, so I followed the DIY for replacing the power steering pump o-ring (DIY Power Steering Pump O-Ring TSB). That shut up the whining noise for a while until a couple days ago. I don't know if it has to do with the temperature here being in the high 20s and mid 30s or if I put on the o-ring wrong, but the whining and groaning noise has come back, and this time it doesn't go away like it used to when the engine is warm.

So, do any of you have a solution to this problem? I'm going to replace my drive belt tomorrow with the Goodyear Gatorback, so maybe I can fix this power steering noise while I'm under the hood. I'm thinking somehow when I replaced the old o-ring, maybe I put the new one in wrong. I'm not too sure. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2003 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT, Satin Silver Metallic
Infinity speakers with 3 Treo 10" subwoofers
Antarctica is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Out of Control
 
Drew03Accord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,677
Thanks: 61
Thanked 291 Times in 218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antarctica View Post
Hey all, to start off, my power steering pump used to make a whining noise every time I started my car, so I followed the DIY for replacing the power steering pump o-ring (DIY Power Steering Pump O-Ring TSB). That shut up the whining noise for a while until a couple days ago. I don't know if it has to do with the temperature here being in the high 20s and mid 30s or if I put on the o-ring wrong, but the whining and groaning noise has come back, and this time it doesn't go away like it used to when the engine is warm.

So, do any of you have a solution to this problem? I'm going to replace my drive belt tomorrow with the Goodyear Gatorback, so maybe I can fix this power steering noise while I'm under the hood. I'm thinking somehow when I replaced the old o-ring, maybe I put the new one in wrong. I'm not too sure. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Maybe the pump is bad and you need a new pump.
Drew03Accord is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 05:19 PM
1st Gear
 
Cholung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ct
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how old is the fluid?? try flushing out the pump with fresh fluid then changing it again to clean out any debris. if it still occurs you may need a pump
Cholung is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 08:48 PM
banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 294
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antarctica View Post
Hey all, to start off, my power steering pump used to make a whining noise every time I started my car, so I followed the DIY for replacing the power steering pump o-ring (DIY Power Steering Pump O-Ring TSB). That shut up the whining noise for a while until a couple days ago. I don't know if it has to do with the temperature here being in the high 20s and mid 30s or if I put on the o-ring wrong, but the whining and groaning noise has come back, and this time it doesn't go away like it used to when the engine is warm.

So, do any of you have a solution to this problem? I'm going to replace my drive belt tomorrow with the Goodyear Gatorback, so maybe I can fix this power steering noise while I'm under the hood. I'm thinking somehow when I replaced the old o-ring, maybe I put the new one in wrong. I'm not too sure. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Wait till you feeeeel how buttery smooth your steering will be after you replace the PS pump and drive belt. I was like you, I would have normally not replaced anything early to protect and keep the total cost of ownership(TCO) low to justify a Honda even more. I replaced the drive belt almost by accident because the power steering hoses broke on separate days and the 2nd time, PS fluid spilled on the drivebelt thus prompting replacement prematurely. But after seeing hos smooth, easy and literally effortless it is to turn the steering wheel, replacing the pump *and* drivebelt is something I would do early because the benefits are so great. Trust
Ilovemy06VtecV6 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 01-14-2011, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Forum Insomniac
 
Antarctica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Biloxi, MS
Posts: 483
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright guys. I added some power steering fluid while I was at the gas station earlier and that shut up the problem. My car has approximately 91,000 miles, and maybe a new pump would help, but I'm going to try some other things right now like replacing my drive belt tomorrow. As far as the flush goes, how do I properly go about that? As a last resort, I'll go and replace the pump.

2003 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT, Satin Silver Metallic
Infinity speakers with 3 Treo 10" subwoofers
Antarctica is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 01-14-2011, 04:15 AM
6th Gear
 
CarlR33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Southern, IN
Posts: 1,519
Thanks: 4
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antarctica View Post
Alright guys. I added some power steering fluid while I was at the gas station earlier and that shut up the problem. My car has approximately 91,000 miles, and maybe a new pump would help, but I'm going to try some other things right now like replacing my drive belt tomorrow. As far as the flush goes, how do I properly go about that? As a last resort, I'll go and replace the pump.
Take something to pull out the old fluid out (**** out) of the pump like a turkey baster. Add new fluid back in and run for a few weeks and repeat process. I had to repeat the process because the dirty fluid that remains in the steering rack and needs circulated through the system.

03 Accord LX I4 5spd, 230k miles.
with 19 HFP Wheels and Eibach pro spring kit (second set as the first set of rear springs rusted apart).
Previous car: 98 Civic EX 5sp. with 155K, RIP
CarlR33 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 01-14-2011, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Forum Insomniac
 
Antarctica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Biloxi, MS
Posts: 483
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR33 View Post
Take something to pull out the old fluid out (**** out) of the pump like a turkey baster. Add new fluid back in and run for a few weeks and repeat process. I had to repeat the process because the dirty fluid that remains in the steering rack and needs circulated through the system.
Okay, I get it. Drain and refill, and then drain and refill again a couple weeks later. Easy enough.

I'm gonna do some other maintenance later today, but damn it's so cold outside! I hope it warms up later today.

2003 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT, Satin Silver Metallic
Infinity speakers with 3 Treo 10" subwoofers
Antarctica is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 01-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Moderator
 
03LXV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: White Plains, NY
Posts: 3,181
Thanks: 0
Thanked 111 Times in 85 Posts
If you had to add fluid and the noise stopped that means the fluid was low. You might have a leak in the system. When you changed the o-ring did you top off the fluid? Check the fluid in a week to see if the level changed.

The pump could be leaking at the seals or it could also be a line.

2007 EX-L 4DR
03LXV6 is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 01-14-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Forum Insomniac
 
Antarctica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Biloxi, MS
Posts: 483
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LXV6 View Post
If you had to add fluid and the noise stopped that means the fluid was low. You might have a leak in the system. When you changed the o-ring did you top off the fluid? Check the fluid in a week to see if the level changed.

The pump could be leaking at the seals or it could also be a line.
You're right. I checked my fluid and it's apparently leaking. I looked under the car and found power steering fluid along my frame on the passenger side. The lines are fine around the reservoir and low pressure side. I did notice some fluid around the metal high pressure line where it comes out of the pump, but I don't think there's enough fluid there to actually cause the leak I'm looking for. I hope it's an easy fix. And you know what? I didn't have this problem until I replaced the o-ring. I don't know if this is coincidental though.

2003 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT, Satin Silver Metallic
Infinity speakers with 3 Treo 10" subwoofers
Antarctica is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 01-15-2011, 07:49 AM
Moderator
 
03LXV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: White Plains, NY
Posts: 3,181
Thanks: 0
Thanked 111 Times in 85 Posts
You wont notice a leak by looking at the hose. When the wheel is being turned that's when there is pressure and you will notice a leak.

2007 EX-L 4DR
03LXV6 is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 01-15-2011, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Forum Insomniac
 
Antarctica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Biloxi, MS
Posts: 483
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I did my oil change today and noticed power steering fluid around and near a rubber boot that's connected to the front axle. The line connected to the boot is metal, and I'm thinking it's a high pressure line. I'm hoping it's just a gasket or something rubber that's easy to replace and not the whole metal line.

2003 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT, Satin Silver Metallic
Infinity speakers with 3 Treo 10" subwoofers
Antarctica is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome