Squeaking sound while driving - Drive Accord Honda Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-28-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Squeaking sound while driving

Hi
I notice I hear squeaking sound while driving or coasting, but never when im braking. At first I thought it was the timing belt so I bought the fan belt dressing and that didn't resolve the problem. Could it be the rotar even though I only hear the sound while driving or coasting. Plus the sound occurs randomly it will go on for a minute and then nothing. Mile later will hear the sound again. Any idea what it could be. The only way I can describe the sound it just sound like a squeaky sound.
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-28-2011, 08:06 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal20 View Post
Hi
I notice I hear squeaking sound while driving or coasting, but never when im braking. At first I thought it was the timing belt so I bought the fan belt dressing and that didn't resolve the problem. Could it be the rotar even though I only hear the sound while driving or coasting. Plus the sound occurs randomly it will go on for a minute and then nothing. Mile later will hear the sound again. Any idea what it could be. The only way I can describe the sound it just sound like a squeaky sound.
Sounds like the wear indicators on the disk pads.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-29-2011, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNSLS View Post
Sounds like the wear indicators on the disk pads.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Alpin PA2

DriveAccord.Net Forum Rules & Regs
DriveAccord.net Classified Rules
post #4 of 10 Old 01-29-2011, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviography View Post
Thanks for the advice will have mechanic check brake pads. Someone else told me to have the universal joints checks saying that squeaky sounds from the front wheels walls early indication of failure of the universal joints.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-29-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Thanks for the advice will have mechanic check brake pads. Someone else told me to have the universal joints checks saying that squeaky sounds from the front wheels walls early indication of failure of the universal joints.
It was the rear brakes according to the mechanic. My question how come the rear brakes make the squeaky sounds only while im driving?
Second is it true according to the mechanic almost all Honda's the rear brake pads wear out much faster than the front brake pads?
post #6 of 10 Old 01-29-2011, 03:39 PM
06 6MT Sedan

Quote:
It was the rear brakes according to the mechanic. My question how come the rear brakes make the squeaky sounds only while im driving?
Second is it true according to the mechanic almost all Honda's the rear brake pads wear out much faster than the front brake pads?
The wear indicators are designed to make that noise only while not applying the brakes. This let's you know there is a problem that needs attending to now. If they made the noise only while applying the brakes, it's not as obvious or annoying and might not get your attention as quickly.

Yes, it's strange but true. I had to replace the rears at 45K but the front's were still good at 60K, but I replaced them anyway when I replaced my warped rotors.

2006 Accord Sedan 6MT Navi
Audio Control LC6I / Rockford Fosgate R600X5 / Infinity Reference 9633cf / Infinity Reference 6030cs / Rockford Fosgate Punch P1-2X10 / Parrot MK6000 / Diode Dynamics 6000K HID Low Beams / DDM 3000K HID Factory Fogs / Diode Dynamcs Stage II LED Conversion / Backup Camera / Mid Muffler Delete / Dynomax Exhaust Resonator / Fujita CAI / 17mm TL Rear Sway Bar / Tein S Tech Springs / Tokico Blues / Ingalls Camber Kit / Ingalls Stiffy
post #7 of 10 Old 01-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The rear brake pads are smaller and thinner to start off with, it's not unusual for them to wear out sooner.

post #8 of 10 Old 01-29-2011, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
The rear brake pads are smaller and thinner to start off with, it's not unusual for them to wear out sooner.
Thanks for the answers it makes sense to me now why they would make the noise while I was driving because it did catch my attention. So I guess when the pads are wearing thin they will automatically rub against the rotar to warn the driver that something is wrong.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

There is a spring metal tab riveted to the backing plate which will contact the brake rotor when the the pad wears thin, the squeaking sound is from this metal tab intermittently scraping the rotor very lightly.

Just don't do one of my former coworker did when he first heard this sound, he ignored it for a while then the sound went away because the metal tab eventually broke off, so he thought everything was OK.

The next time he heard a noise was when the backing plate gouged into the rotor......

post #10 of 10 Old 01-30-2011, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
There is a spring metal tab riveted to the backing plate which will contact the brake rotor when the the pad wears thin, the squeaking sound is from this metal tab intermittently scraping the rotor very lightly.

Just don't do one of my former coworker did when he first heard this sound, he ignored it for a while then the sound went away because the metal tab eventually broke off, so he thought everything was OK.

The next time he heard a noise was when the backing plate gouged into the rotor......
Yeah my friend told me he ignore for almost 2 months completely wiped out his brake pads and damaged the rotars/
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.