Outside Temperature Gauge - Drive Accord Honda Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 12-29-2003, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Outside Temperature Gauge

On my 2003 EXV6, I've noticed that the outside temp. gauge is not very accurate. It usally 3 degrees C. too high. I'm comparing it to my other vehicle. Nissan Pathfinder, that guage is spot on compared with what the radio stations say the outside temp. is. Is my sensor mounted wrong? What have other Accord owners noticed and can this be adjusted to read more accurately?
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-31-2003, 05:52 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
According to the manual heat reflecting off the road can make it read wrong, as can going slower than 19 mph/30km/h, & temps below freezing. Our Pilot is a bit more accurate than the Accord, but it's just for us people that always use the auto climate control, so we don't freeze our behinds off ( or melt ) when we get out of the car. We can look & see that it's not as comfy outside as we're feeling inside! I'll look on Honda site & see if they have a acceptable accuracy range....
post #3 of 31 Old 12-31-2003, 06:03 PM
ready to go....

They say it's supposed to be about + or - 3 degrees. The coolant temp needs to be exactly 139 degrees when they do a calibration. Does this help??

I kicked cancer's butt! You might be next!!!! :) I survived a fatal heart attack, PRAYERS WORK!

(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_) butt dance.

the latest in a long line of Hondas:

Ours: '06 Ridgeline RTL with Nav Steel Blue, rear view & cargo cameras, iVES, hitch, INfinity speakers, running boards, alternate front grille, garnish, roof rack, now with 18" Ridgeline rims

little '98 Civic sedan, everything still works! Named Mater.
post #4 of 31 Old 01-01-2004, 12:25 PM
1st Gear

Mine high as well

Mine is always 4 degrees F too high.

2003 Accord EX Sedan
V-6 5spd Auto
White w/ Tan Leather
post #5 of 31 Old 01-08-2004, 06:13 AM
1st Gear

The outside temp sensor can be adjusted +/- 3 degrees F.

There is a procedure outlined in the Honda service manual.

Hope this helps.
post #6 of 31 Old 01-08-2004, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I'm nearing my first service. I'll bring it in to the dealer and keep everyone posted to see how accurate they can get the reading. Thanks for the help everyone.
post #7 of 31 Old 01-12-2004, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

yep, mine does the same damn thing. Always plus 2 deg.
post #8 of 31 Old 01-31-2004, 02:55 AM
1st Gear

my father had been complaining about this, as his 04 temp gauge was about 6 degrees high (the one on my Pilot is within a couple degrees). He complained enough that the dealer finally replaced it (relatively cheap part, but tough to access). Well, now the new one is closer to 10 degrees high- which is even more annoying. He was showing 40 degrees the other day, and the actual temperature here in MA hasn't even approached freezing in four weeks.
Any additional info on the previous mentioned (+/- 3 degree) adjustment?
Also, I'm assuming that the outside temp gauge is NOT linked to the climate control. Am I correct?

-03 Pilot EX-L RES
-01.5 Passat GLS 5spd
post #9 of 31 Old 01-31-2004, 08:07 AM
ready to go....

Yes it is linked, so the heater or A/C won't blow out high if it will feeze you out more. There's a cabin sensor for the climate control & they do talk to each other.

The outside gauge checks too infrequently for my driving. (errands) & it reads the garage temp for quite a while. I have been at my 3rd store before I get it to read the outside temp, then when parked the engine heat warms it up! It's only meant to be close at 19 mph, on a day that's not too sunny & not too damp.

You're right the Pilot's seems to better located. Perhaps it's the height of it that helps. ?? It also seems to take a reading more often.

There have been several times that mine reads 55 degrees on a 40 degree day because that's what it was in the garage. Annoying? yes! It seems to work better in warm weather, when we bought it in August it was pretty much right on. So my assumption is that it's location is effected by the temps of the road suface & the engine more than they'd planned.

I printed out the "instructions" for checking it a couple of weeks ago & it passed when using a second source for reading the temp where it was parked.

It adjusts at a rate of about 1 degree per minute! (too slow for me!) If the first start of the day involves a cold engine it will have a new check for the outside temp. If it's warm it uses the last reading from before.

On freeway trips our's seems to be dead on!

If I find out anything is discovered about adjustments I'll pass it on!

I kicked cancer's butt! You might be next!!!! :) I survived a fatal heart attack, PRAYERS WORK!

Ours: '06 Ridgeline RTL with Nav Steel Blue, rear view & cargo cameras, iVES, hitch, INfinity speakers, running boards, alternate front grille, garnish, roof rack, now with 18" Ridgeline rims

post #10 of 31 Old 01-31-2004, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

Red face

OK, OK I should have told you how to adjust the outside temp. gauge. Sorry!!

Here goes:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

2. Push and hold the reset select button (the one for trip odometer resets and dash light brightness) for 10 seconds. While you continue to hold the button the display will scroll through temperature settings from +3 to -3 degress as follows, 0, 1, 2, 3, -3, -2, -1, and repeat.

3. When the desired correction value appears on the display, release the button, and the recalibrated outside air temp. will be displayed.

That is all there is to it. Hope this helps -- although sounds like some of you need more than +- 3 degrees.

Don Parker
post #11 of 31 Old 02-02-2004, 07:11 AM
ready to go....

Kewl! Thanks! I have it in the book, just haven't taken the time to look it up.

Do remember to check the temp against another source first! Like us, you may discover that it's not off, just slow to change!

post #12 of 31 Old 02-02-2004, 07:45 AM
Driving Instructor

Mine was pretty accurate from the factory.
Of course, it's always in the high end of the scale down here.
But when we went up North this Christmas, the temp. displayed changed into a bunch of exclamation points, kinda like this ( !!!!).

Guess she wasn't used to the Non-FL weather.

Freedom has a scent...like the top of a newborn baby's head.
post #13 of 31 Old 02-02-2004, 08:26 AM
ready to go....

You must have found the minimum!

The Pilot still was reading fine at 24 degrees on our snow trip. The Accord has read 107 down south on our way to Disneyland. We were comfy inside until we stopped. We left the car running & took turns using the tinklerooms! That wasn't an option at lunch & it cooled off fairly quick. We don't eat in our cars! Just never got into the habit even before the new ones.

post #14 of 31 Old 02-02-2004, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Kinda pointless for Honda to put !!! at low temps. They should just put ice to warn the driver, as GM vehicles do.
post #15 of 31 Old 02-03-2004, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks DM, I've just adjusted the temperature setting this morning on my into work. I'll monitor the reading to see how accurate it stays. For you guys that need to adjust the setting more than the +/- 3 degrees it allows, you can do this adjustment as many times as you need to get down or up to the correct setting. By the way, my Pathfinder also has an "ice" warning feature on the gauge as well. It's a pretty neat feature.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.