Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

how many miles do Honda's go for untill it breaks down?

105K views 61 replies 34 participants last post by  dragon129 
#1 ·
just curious, i have a 05 accord lx 3.0 v6 coupe. picked up the car with 130k miles on it for 6k. 2 years later, i have 150k miles on it now. car runs soo smoothly, no noises from the engine, no tranny problems, no nothing wrong with the car. i change all the fluids on time ( mobile oil / k&n oil filter, etc ), get a tune up on time, when i do order parts for brakes, etc, i get top quality parts. so how many miles you guys think honda's last for if you take really good care of the car like i do ?

#46 ·
I think I'm a little spoiled but a bit disappointed as the clock is at 268,849 and the tranny has now taken a dump. It's a 2004 2.4L and this is the 1st problem with the car other than routine maintenance. It's a southern car so it's still in great shape as far as the body is concerned. The motor still feels tight so I hate to get rid of it. I'm bouncing around the idea of just changing the tranny and seeing how much I can get out of a junkyard or possibly refurb. and change it out myself. I haven't dug deep in to any tough car challenges like a tranny change but hopefully it won't be too bad. I'm no expert but I've changed cams and top ends in motorcycles so I can't imagine it being that much more difficult but I have no idea really. Search button here I come.

#51 ·
How long have you had the car and how many times did you change the fluid? Any records from previous owners detailing tranny maintenance?

#49 ·
Probably a bad sensor somewhere or clogged filter. 4cyls never have real problems with tranny’s

#50 ·
I'll certainly look for those issues. The "D" light flashes once I start the car and it just keeps flashing no matter what gear I put it in. Unfortunately, I live in MD and the car went out in NC near my In-laws. I had to rent a car to get me home to start work again. The car will sit there until the Xmas holidays when I get a chance to get down there again. Until then, it's rigorous research to find out what it is and what I need to do.

#52 ·
I have had the car since new in October of 2003. I typically changed the tranny fluid around every 60-70k. The Ole Bag put a little over 100 miles on it a day during the week for the 1st 4 years. A new job drastically decreased the miles. I didn't know about the 3x per change. I just changed it, warmed up the car and seen how the fluid looked. As long as it cleared up, I let it ride. It was typically twice when it looked good enough to call it good. There were always metal flakes after the first plug pull but nothing drastic. No big flakes, just shavings that look normal when there's metal to metal contact.

#53 ·
Check car-part.com

I'll bet you can get a low-mile AT for ~$500.

If it's from the same year, will be relatively easy to change yourself.

One thing to note, is that the service manual states to flush out the ATF fluid cooling circuit when replacing a failed transmission. Reason being, is that whatever caused the current trans to fail (carbon deposits, metal shavings/chunks etc.) is now in the cooling circuit, and can cause the new trans to fail on first start/drive.

If I recall, that flush uses special equipment, so that might be difficult for a DIY-er. Perhaps with the money you save doing it yourself, you could replace all the cooling circuit parts, which unfortunately includes the radiator. But I think that would still come in cheaper than the $4k you've been quoted.

#54 ·
I think you are mistaken. These transmissions are not even connected to the radiator.
I would like to know where in the service manual you read this.

#55 ·
The '03-'06 factory service manual. I would imagine all 7th Gen I4 engines have the ATF cooler built into the radiator. I can confirm at least that '06 does from when I replaced my radiator. I believe the V6 does not have this type of cooler.

#61 ·
I would imagine all 7th Gen I4 engines have the ATF cooler built into the radiator.
Most cars do. It's also an ATF warmer.

#58 ·
Update.... So I got a prior Honda mechanic (He left to start his own shop) to swap out the tranny with a used core with a 1 year warranty. I was hoping he would scope it out just to see what the problem was but he just turned the core in. Of course, a month after I got the car back, I had to change the starter. A little over a month later, no problems. Probably a gamble on this other tranny but I can't complain with 272k on it and not having any other issue since I have owned the car. Hopefully, this tranny lasts a while. Whatever the root of the problem was, fluke tranny or owner neglect.... Not having a single problem on a vehicle at almost 270k miles tells me a Honda will always be in my garage until one lets me down.

#60 ·
Depends if it’s 4cyl or v6....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.