3rd Brake light customization - Drive Accord Honda Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

3rd Brake light customization

Hi all,

I am looking to customize the 3rd brake light on my 2007 accord. A lot of what I'm finding is just strobe options. I was wondering if anyone out there knew of a way (or a company that supplies the required hardware) to make patterns with the lights. For example, having the light bounce from left to right or expand from the center out.

Any information or direction would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 03:29 PM
5th Gear

Is that even legal in your state ? WELCOME to DA.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 480K
post #3 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I've never heard otherwise and had a friend that owned a car with a similar mod that was installed by the previous owner. He never ran into any legal issues and owned the car for nearly 7 years. Is this something that is illegal in certain areas?

post #4 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 06:33 PM
5th Gear

Some states have different laws. I had yellow fog lights on my Accord, when I moved to another state the 3rd. year I was there got pulled over, that state only allowed a clear lens on fog lights. For several yrs. I had a protective clear plastic cover over my back lic. plate, got pulled over by the state police, illegal because it reflects lazer speed guns. It could be considered a distraction to other drivers. Check with your DMV.

post #5 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Looks like the most recent revision of the traffic code is from 2010 and doesn't mention any restrictions related to the one that I'm thinking about implementing. But I appreciate the heads up, wouldn't have crossed my mind otherwise. With all of that aside, do you know of a way to do this? Or a vendor that sells the equipment?

https://www.codot.gov/business/rules...affic_Code.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to jumped For This Useful Post:
KW2004Accord (03-20-2017)
post #6 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 07:07 PM
Roll Tide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumped View Post
had a friend that owned a car with a similar mod
THIS is the guy that can help you mod the safety equipment on your street car. good luck.

2007 V6 AT Sedan
post #7 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 08:19 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumped View Post
Looks like the most recent revision of the traffic code is from 2010 and doesn't mention any restrictions related to the one that I'm thinking about implementing. But I appreciate the heads up, wouldn't have crossed my mind otherwise. With all of that aside, do you know of a way to do this? Or a vendor that sells the equipment?

https://www.codot.gov/business/rules...affic_Code.pdf
Page 17 -#3. Something to be aware of if changing the light output.

post #8 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

@KW2004Accord
That section appears to be talking about signaling to turn and stating that the indicators of turning should not be modified in certain ways. I'm certainly not trying to alter the turning lamps or the overall brake lamps ... just the 3rd light. Given the newer vehicles that come with strobes installed by default, I can't imagine that this is going over the top for legal issues. I'm just looking to give it a unique feel. I'll gladly handle the consequences if they are encountered but I think I'm in the clear.

@jimijam
I don't have access to this individual and neither does my friend as when he bought the car, it was from the previous owner's grandmother.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 10:49 PM
5th Gear

Call a custom car shop in your area, they may be able to direct you better for what you are looking for, good luck.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.