Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Gorilla Wheel Locks

36K views 54 replies 31 participants last post by  turbo9589 
#1 ·
Still waiting for my 2016 Touring to arrive at the dealership but in the meantime I'm ordering accessories. I have read that the Honda OEM wheel locks really aren't that effective and others recommend Gorilla locks. I just don't know exactly what will fit on the 2016 Touring. Is it still 12mm x 1.50 ball seat or are the 19" Touring rims different?

Would these work (Gorilla Automotive System 38433N). The amazon link says they wont fit the 2016 accord:
Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 38433N "The System" Honda Ball Seat Wheel Locks (12mm x 1.50 Thread Size): Automotive

If they will fit would you recommend getting 20 or is that overkill and one per wheel should be enough. I have read that these are still easy to remove so getting 20 would be more of a deterrent than just putting one on each wheel.

Also is there any other brand that I should consider.

Also does anyone have any pictures of them on the 19" rims. They look short and I'm not sure how they would look. Thanks

#2 ·
You only need one lock per wheel. This will defeat or discourage low level scum. Which is in my opinion going to be the most probable scenario you're trying to prevent. Professionals would just tow your car somewhere and either strip it for parts or ship it to Botswana. Good luck with your new ride. I love mine.

#8 ·
I have the Gorilla System, 71633N. This set has been moved between three vehicles. They were used on my 13 Accord, then on my 14 RDX and now on my 16 Accord Touring Coupe. No sign of rust. They have been run summer and winter when I swap wheels. High quality and great product. As for 1 lock per wheel, thieves have multiple keys and having to deal with only 4 locks is no deterrent. Having to deal with 20 locks is an issue because of the time it takes. Best choice for protecting your wheels, IMHO, is the set of 20. As for "Pros" towing the car...they are not after the wheels, so nothing you can do will solve that! Wheels are most frequently stolen.

PS - Ran Gorilla Systems on my Challenger and several other cars that had custom wheels on them...no wheels ever stolen!
Gorilla Wheel Lock Systems 71633N - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

#13 ·
These are conical seat, used mostly on aftermarket wheels. You need ball seats for Accord Stock Wheels ( GOR-38433N .) Those will work just not intended for the type of lug seats on Accord wheels.

#10 ·
Still waiting for my 2016 Touring to arrive at the dealership but in the meantime I'm ordering accessories. I have read that the Honda OEM wheel locks really aren't that effective and others recommend Gorilla locks. I just don't know exactly what will fit on the 2016 Touring. Is it still 12mm x 1.50 ball seat or are the 19" Touring rims different?

Would these work (Gorilla Automotive System 38433N). The amazon link says they wont fit the 2016 accord:
Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 38433N "The System" Honda Ball Seat Wheel Locks (12mm x 1.50 Thread Size): Automotive

If they will fit would you recommend getting 20 or is that overkill and one per wheel should be enough. I have read that these are still easy to remove so getting 20 would be more of a deterrent than just putting one on each wheel.

Also is there any other brand that I should consider.

Also does anyone have any pictures of them on the 19" rims. They look short and I'm not sure how they would look. Thanks
Those are the ones I have on my 2012 exlv6. Had them for two years now and I like how they sit deep into the wheel socket. There hard to get to unless you have the key to them

#11 ·
Wheel locks? Fughedaboudit.

I had my wheels stolen. Had a Gorilla lock on each lug.

Since nobody (that I know of) drives a car without a key for wheel locks, all a thief has to do is get your key from the glove box, the console, or the trunk (or wherever you "hide" it).

Thieves will either break the glass or pull out the driver's door lock cylinder with a slide hammer to get your key.

Your choice: lose the wheels OR lose the wheels AND replace the glass or the door lock.

At Amazon:
Gorilla 38433N (20) I paid $42, now $61.73
Gorilla 38431N (4) was $14, now $21.46
To order a Gorilla Replacement Key with Visa or MasterCard, call them at (323) 585-2852

Reactions: Subverto
#12 ·
I had my wheels stolen. Had a Gorilla lock on each lug.

Since nobody (that I know of) drives a car without a key for wheel locks, all a thief has to do is get your key from the glove box, the console, or the trunk (or wherever you "hide" it).

Thieves will either break the glass or pull out the driver's door lock cylinder with a slide hammer to get your key.

Your choice: lose the wheels OR lose the wheels AND replace the glass or the door lock.

At Amazon:
Gorilla 38433N (20) I paid $42, now $61.73
Gorilla 38431N (4) was $14, now $21.46
To order a Gorilla Replacement Key with Visa or MasterCard, call them at (323) 585-2852
Half the time they just break the lug lock or pound a four way socket on the end to jam the four way onto the lug lock. Once the back it off a bit they yank it off. Anyone that knows anything about security knows that it works in layers. Purchasing wheel locks gives the owner a false sense of security.

Don't get me wrong, if I purchase a set of aftermarket wheels and I NEED a new set of lugs I will buy a set of Gorilla lugs/locks, but I know they will not reduce the chances of my wheels getting stolen. If the stock lugs work and look good I'll just save my money and enjoy the car.

#14 ·
OP,
I have these on my '16 Sport... Gorilla Automotive System 38433N - Better to have something other than the OEM locks. Yes, nothing will stop a determined thief, but having to pound a socket on 20 times, in my opinion, will make them move on to better "opportunities".

#22 ·
I guess i'll put my input in this thread as my 2013 Sports Wheel were stolen nearly three times. You are probably wondering why I said nearly. The first time I had Gorilla Honda Locks on them but they were able to use a oversize wrench to grip it and able to turn it. When I got to my car 2 AM in the morning(NYPD ran my plates and got my address), all my wheels of my car were off(You can probably find. Luckily, someone saw and called 911 and NYPD Patrol Car was around the block. The suspect got scared and actually ran into one of the neighbors backyard and hopped the fence which NYPD Patrol car picked him up. There was a two SUV full of Honda Sport tires parked near by probably about 5 sets. I was lucky, but after the aftermath. I did research and saw how they were able to get the locks off. Basically only method is to get a oversize wrench and hammer it and twist cause most of the Honda locks are small and there is still a lot of space to grip the lock. I came across this website RimLox, I got a set(yes, they are pricey) but it's worth it. Having to not worry about if your wheels are there on your car is priceless. The reason why Rimlox works is because there is literally no room to grip. The lock literally looks like a washer. With the RimLox on, they have tried to take the wheels twice, they usually take every nut off but RimLox, so in my opinion the RimLox paid for itself. I'm driving a Honda Accord 2016 Touring now, I'm sure these wheels will be a target as well but luckily I can still use my Rimlox from previous wheels.(Rimlox measures the wheels socket) but I was still doing research on like a affordable wheel locks for friends. I think Gorilla x2 Wheel Locks is the solution, I got the 12mm x 1.50. I think the thieves won't be able to get into this lock as the top part of the lock is free spinning and there won't be a way to grip the bottom part of the lock. Top part of the lock really fills in the space so a socket won't be able to really go in besides the Key that it comes with. The Lock will stick out a little but well worth the price for security.

Sorry for the long post. Cheers.

#24 ·
I guess i'll put my input in this thread as my 2013 Sports Wheel were stolen nearly three times. You are probably wondering why I said nearly. The first time I had Gorilla Honda Locks on them but they were able to use a oversize wrench to grip it and able to turn it. When I got to my car 2 AM in the morning(NYPD ran my plates and got my address), all my wheels of my car were off(You can probably find. Luckily, someone saw and called 911 and NYPD Patrol Car was around the block. The suspect got scared and actually ran into one of the neighbors backyard and hopped the fence which NYPD Patrol car picked him up. There was a two SUV full of Honda Sport tires parked near by probably about 5 sets. I was lucky, but after the aftermath. I did research and saw how they were able to get the locks off. Basically only method is to get a oversize wrench and hammer it and twist cause most of the Honda locks are small and there is still a lot of space to grip the lock. I came across this website RimLox, I got a set(yes, they are pricey) but it's worth it. Having to not worry about if your wheels are there on your car is priceless. The reason why Rimlox works is because there is literally no room to grip. The lock literally looks like a washer. With the RimLox on, they have tried to take the wheels twice, they usually take every nut off but RimLox, so in my opinion the RimLox paid for itself. I'm driving a Honda Accord 2016 Touring now, I'm sure these wheels will be a target as well but luckily I can still use my Rimlox from previous wheels.(Rimlox measures the wheels socket) but I was still doing research on like a affordable wheel locks for friends. I think Gorilla x2 Wheel Locks is the solution, I got the 12mm x 1.50. I think the thieves won't be able to get into this lock as the top part of the lock is free spinning and there won't be a way to grip the bottom part of the lock. Top part of the lock really fills in the space so a socket won't be able to really go in besides the Key that it comes with. The Lock will stick out a little but well worth the price for security.

Sorry for the long post. Cheers.
Damn!? Where in NYC do you park your car so that I know NEVER to go or park my car there!? lol

#29 ·
Wheel locks are great when you have a flat and the key is still at the last place that serviced your car. Or you have the key but it breaks or strips trying to remove a lock that was tightened with a nuclear impact gun.

#31 ·
I've used the Gorilla SYSTEM (20 spline) locks on 4 different cars over a 7 year period with no rust issues at all. Same locks transferred from one car to other when I traded. Well worth the $42 I paid for them.

#35 ·
Stolen wheels or stolen wheels and broken glass or locks.

NOBODY with wheel locks drives ANYWHERE without the key in the car. No matter how clever you think you are at hiding the key, it will be found if a thief wants your wheels. They'll either break your glass or use a slide hammer to pull out your lock to get the key. (You don't have to ask me how I know.)

They'll steal your wheels one way or another if they want them. Locked wheels will make it inconvenient for them (and you) and only add to the damage to your car in getting at the key. Your choice.

BTW, I had 20 locks via Gorilla's "The System."

#36 ·
I Vote NO On the "Take My Wheels, So You Don't Smash My Windows" Plan

^^ Hi Renaissance Man,

1. I totally get what you are saying, and I agree with most of what is said. I think we might have a different context for the conversation. I'm searching for the best first layer of defense possible, believing that a mutli-layered system (wheel locks, two way car alarm with motion detector, strategic choice of parking garages at work, and low deductible insurance policy) is a reasonable way to mitigate the risk of theft.

2. Since you've stated I have a choice.. I vote "no" on the “Go ahead take my wheels, so you don’t smash my windows” plan. I am also not leaving my house unlocked, simply because I know a determined thief can break my windows, bypass my motion detectors, disable my alarm, or kick my door down. I’m not going to leave my wheels unlocked either. Round this neck of the woods, that’s just an invitation. That's my wheels batting eyelashes all sexy like and whispering please come steal me.

3. I don’t disagree with the overall premise that it’s naive to think lock nuts, or any other single layer of defense for that, matter will offer 100% theft prevention. However, I assert that some lock nuts work better than others, (the nub of my inquiry here) and several layers of defense will give you better odds at avoiding theft. That doesn’t seem like a wacky idea to me. Several layers of protection is how most of us protect our homes. We don’t just give up on the whole idea, admit defeat to “skilled and determined thieves” just because there isn’t a door lock which can’t be broken. You buy the best lock available, then get an alarm, finesse motion detectors etc. That’s the several layers defense method. Same should apply to your car.

Cheers,

CJ

Reactions: orionsierra
#37 ·
^ I agree. Any wheel locks are better than no wheel locks at all. Wheel thieves need to scope out the surroundings first then will kick your tire to check if your car is equipped with a shock sensor alarm. If you have one, they usually move on to an easier target. But for most of us with no shock sensor installed, thieves know in order to steal wheels noise will echo thru the dead of night. They no their lives may be in danger if spotted by the owner. If parking in rough neighborhoods, it seems best to atleast have visible wheel locks and park in a well lit area(if possible) and with many residential windows that have a clear view of your car. Nothing is guaranteed but the "look out man" will be more nervous and suggest it's not worth the risk.

Reactions: ChicagoJack
#38 ·
So which Gorilla "System" would I need for my 2016 Accord coupe. I only ask because Ive read on some comments that some lugs didn't fit cause of ball seat(think that's what it said) I know the sz is 12mm x 1.50 correct? but does the acorn style matter if its going to be for OEM wheels? I bought some 2016 Sport wheels, I plan on putting those on.

#41 · (Edited by Moderator)
Drat. Gorilla offers 5 or 6 different designs for lock nuts. I've been focusing on what I think are Gorrilla's two best. I say "best" because they offer a deterrent to the most common method of (unlawful) removal, which is to hammer a slightly smaller socket onto the lock nut. The Gorilla Guard has the free spinning outer sleeve, while the Gorilla X2 has the free spinning top nut.

However, I called Massey's which is Gorilla's recommended vendor for supplying a set of 20 of either with a matched key. But the vendor is telling me that My 2016 Accord has a ball seat so neither the Gorilla X2 or Gorilla Guard will work.

Question : Can anybody confirm this? Maybe there is a work-a-round option?

Thanks!

EDIT...

Answering my own question, might be useful for anybody else running in to this dead end.

Acorn to ball seat adapter is the work-a-round.

Here's the link.
Lug Nut Washer Tapered/Ball Adapter from Brandsport Auto Parts (#CWLA-6016)

Attachments

#49 ·
Great form, last night someone broke the lock to my OEM locks but luckily I caught them and they ran away.
So I assume the solution to this form is to purchase the gorilla guard https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CMJ2QE/
And the purchase the ball set washers... www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F8M78AK/ ?

So my question is, would it be possible to have one OEM lock and one gorilla lock on each rim? Or will that not work?

#50 ·
Great form, last night someone broke the lock to my OEM locks but luckily I caught them and they ran away.
So I assume the solution to this form is to purchase the gorilla guard https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CMJ2QE/
And the purchase the ball set washers... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F8M78AK/ ?

So my question is, would it be possible to have one OEM lock and one gorilla lock on each rim? Or will that not work?
No reason it wouldn't work. Just remember to carry all the keys.

#54 ·
Not to get too far off of the topic of gorilla wheel locks, but in theory couldn't I use black spline lug nuts (or other form of lug nut without ball seat not compatible with the Accord 19" wheels) and simply use the ball seat washers? Or is it just ok when dealing with 1-2 locks per wheel and not a good idea to use them on every single lug nut/point of contact with the wheel?

#55 ·
Update:
Without finding any ball seat black lug nuts on the market, I ended up using one black conical McGard lock in addition to four black conical spline lock lugs per wheel. I used conical to ball seat adapters to make sure there was proper fitment. Unfortunately, over time some of the adapters split and broke. I'd say they lasted about 18 months.
As I was considering buying replacement adapters, I happened to notice the 18+ Accords now come factory with black lugs (copycats :p) so I got a price from the dealer and it was far too much more than I think they're worth. Luckily, though, I finally found ball seat black lugs on the market now. They are OEM style, so not locking, but are the perfect fit. I also replaced the McGard locks with a spline lock black lug that is also ball seat (sold as a set with the OEM style black lugs). As an aside, I was disappointed to see how rusty the McGard wheel locks got in only about 18-20 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.