Rear Tire C̶u̶p̶p̶i̶n̶g̶ Inner Wear a.k.a. Alignment (toe and/or camber) Out Of Spec - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 98 Old 07-24-2016, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Rear Tire C̶u̶p̶p̶i̶n̶g̶ Inner Wear a.k.a. Alignment (toe and/or camber) Out Of Spec

Hello friends. On my 2015 Sport sedan I am experiencing some pretty significant inner tire wear on my back tires. Anyone else experiencing this problem? The dealer told me it was normal and a result of inadequete tire rotation. I had the exact same issue on the previous civic and Honda intimately issues a service bulletin to have new LCA's on the car. I'm worried it's the same deal. I rotated at 24k miles. Front tires were worn evenly but back were cupped badly. It's been 6k miles since then and my rears are showing wear already. The fronts (previously on the rear) sound like mud terrains.

Any input would be appreciated.

-Aaron

Ankush Chander likes this.
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 07-25-2016, 03:08 AM
YoullBeRad

How often do you check tire pressure?

**EDIT**

Camber Wear

“Camber” refers to how a tire tilts. If a tire has negative camber, it means that the top of the tire is tilted towards the vehicle. If a tire has positive camber, it means that the top of the tire is tilted away from the vehicle. Tires on a everyday car (i.e. a vehicle not used for racing) should have little to no camber at all; when you look at the tires from the front or back of the vehicle, they should be perfectly vertical. Camber wear occurs when a tire has positive or negative camber. With positive camber, the outer shoulder of the tire will be a smooth, narrow strip of wear while the rest of the tire will look fine. With negative camber, the inner shoulder of the tire will have that smooth, narrow strip of wear. Camber wear can be caused by improper tire pressure, misaligned wheels, or worn suspension components. If you spot camber wear and the tires are properly inflated, having your vehicle looked at by a professional is recommended.

Submarine Veteran "A-Gang"
Engineering Technician "Idiot Check Naval Engineers"
Rotary Engine Enthusiast
Baby, girlfriend = Accord for now

Morel Maximo 6
Alpine powerpak bridged (rear speakers removed)
Lc2i
Image Dynamic idq12 sealed 1.35cuft
JBL MS-A5001

Last edited by Justin Pace; 07-25-2016 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Added camber wear
post #3 of 98 Old 07-25-2016, 04:34 AM
5th Gear

Garage
Cupping would likely be a symptom of worn out shocks.
Blu3RSX likes this.

post #4 of 98 Old 07-25-2016, 04:52 AM
4th Gear

On a front wheel drive car, if the tires are not rotated on a regular basis, the rear tires will in most cases, develop 'cupping'.

Solution? Regular rotation of tires.

Four wheel alignment every so often is also not a bad idea.
ltsr likes this.

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.
post #5 of 98 Old 07-25-2016, 06:43 AM
YoullBeRad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOrchid View Post
Cupping would likely be a symptom of worn out shocks.
Agreed I do not think they actually mean cupping. I believe the poster thinks cupping refers to inner tire wear. If the tires actually had cupping I would suspect wherever they had the tires rotated the subject would of been brought up about worn shocks (shop would love to charge for that work)

To the original poster ensure proper tire inflation. Monitor pressure for a few days. If you live in an extreme climate area and are subject to winters your tire pressure will drop when cold out, wise to check your tires every now and again in the winter. Or fill with nitrogen.

"First is that nitrogen is less likely to migrate through tire rubber than is oxygen, which means that your tire pressures will remain more stable over the long term. Racers figured out pretty quickly that tires filled with nitrogen rather than air also exhibit less pressure change with temperature swings."

Rotary Engine Enthusiast

Morel Maximo 6
Lc2i
JBL MS-A5001
post #6 of 98 Old 07-25-2016, 07:13 AM
5th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Pace View Post
Agreed I do not think they actually mean cupping. I believe the poster thinks cupping refers to inner tire wear. If the tires actually had cupping I would suspect wherever they had the tires rotated the subject would of been brought up about worn shocks (shop would love to charge for that work)

To the original poster ensure proper tire inflation. Monitor pressure for a few days. If you live in an extreme climate area and are subject to winters your tire pressure will drop when cold out, wise to check your tires every now and again in the winter. Or fill with nitrogen.

"First is that nitrogen is less likely to migrate through tire rubber than is oxygen, which means that your tire pressures will remain more stable over the long term. Racers figured out pretty quickly that tires filled with nitrogen rather than air also exhibit less pressure change with temperature swings."
Yes, but he also said the following, which sounds like classic cupping damage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowform View Post
The fronts (previously on the rear) sound like mud terrains.
post #7 of 98 Old 07-25-2016, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thank you everyone for your input. I called my tire wear 'feathering' but my dealer corrected me and said it was 'cupping'. Tire pressure has always been good and they assured me my alignment was good.

No one else has experienced this tire wear?
Blu3RSX likes this.
post #8 of 98 Old 07-25-2016, 07:18 AM
5th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Thank you everyone for your input. I called my tire wear 'feathering' but my dealer corrected me and said it was 'cupping'. Tire pressure has always been good and they assured me my alignment was good.

No one else has experienced this tire wear?
Photos might be helpful. Feathering is often caused by the toe settings being off. My old Prelude would feather the tires after they had 20k-30k miles on them but it never got bad enough to cause me to replace them early.

Regardless, a newer car like this should not be producing rapid or uneven wear of any kind assuming it is stock and not damaged. It sounds like an alignment check is in order. Might want to try another dealer as the one you are referring to seems to be ill informed and unwilling to really help much. I've got 11k on my car and absolutely no uneven wear has appeared at all and my summer tires are a really soft compound which would show uneven wear pretty quickly if it were going to appear. In addition, the HFP suspension settings include noticeably more rear negative camber which could promote inner tire wear if taken too far and yet the rears have worn just fine thus far.
post #9 of 98 Old 07-25-2016, 08:31 AM
YoullBeRad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOrchid View Post
Yes, but he also said the following, which sounds like classic cupping damage:
Ahh, I missed that part.

Original Poster- This is what cupping looks like. It is surprising to me that a dealership would say your tires are cupping and not offer a solution.

I would recommend trying another shop or at least another mechanic. Try to get one of the older guys at the shop to take a peak.

Your new car should not be cupping the tires. This should be addressed quickly and under warranty. Heck you might get new tires out of the deal also.

I believe there was a TSB for something on the shocks, might be worth a look at.

Rotary Engine Enthusiast

Morel Maximo 6
Lc2i
JBL MS-A5001
post #10 of 98 Old 07-25-2016, 12:57 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Hello friends. On my 2015 Sport sedan I am experiencing some pretty significant inner tire wear on my back tires. Anyone else experiencing this problem? The dealer told me it was normal and a result of inadequete tire rotation. I had the exact same issue on the previous civic and Honda intimately issues a service bulletin to have new LCA's on the car. I'm worried it's the same deal. I rotated at 24k miles. Front tires were worn evenly but back were cupped badly. It's been 6k miles since then and my rears are showing wear already. The fronts (previously on the rear) sound like mud terrains.

-Aaron
Cupping's not normal nor the result of lack of rotation. On a properly set up car, especially one not driven hard, the only result of a lack of rotation should be the front's tread wearing faster than the rear. Cross rotation, which I don't do, will compensate for mild misalignment issues. There's been a goodly amount of discussion here on whether your issue is cupping or something else....from what you describe I lean toward cupping and would urge you to visit a good tire/suspension shop for an honest expert opinion....and to not go back to that dealer for anything again if at all possible.

2013 MSM V6 Sport Sedan
post #11 of 98 Old 07-26-2016, 08:09 AM
1st Gear

Same problem here. The reputable tire shop said I need a rear toe kit, as the suspension is sagged and Honda gives zero adjustment. Now I'll be visiting the dealer, and then calling Honda. Expecting, as in my past dealings with Honda, a polite 'go pound sand' answer.
The part I found-
SPC Rear Adjustable Toe Arm Kit 67555 1 Side | eBay
Attached Images

post #12 of 98 Old 07-26-2016, 01:52 PM
4th Gear

To say there's no rear toe adjustment is just wrong,there's adjustment but it's only a few degrees.
There was enough adjustment for when I installed lowering springs and installed aftermarket camber arms.I was able to bring the toe back into factory specs using the eccentric fasteners on the stock toe arms.

'13 ASM EX-L V6 Sedan
"Just because someone does something for a living,it doesn't mean they're good at it"
post #13 of 98 Old 07-27-2016, 06:31 AM
5th Gear

Dealers always try to pass the buck, of course when the car is under warranty. Abnormal wears are problem with suspensions and/or aligments, period. It completely has nothing to do with tire rotations. Lousy honda dealers. Good thing you didn't lower the car, otherwise it is an immediate blame to the cause of problem. Don't tell them you wash the car every week, or they will tell you the water was the cause to the uneven tire wear.
post #14 of 98 Old 07-27-2016, 09:26 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:

-Aaron
First rotation at 24k miles? Is that correct?
jimijam likes this.
post #15 of 98 Old 07-28-2016, 04:34 AM
1st Gear

The adjustment is all the way out, so mine has 'no more adjustment'. Apparently, the inside of my worn, cupped tires would disagree with you.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.