Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Aftermarket mirror installation

11K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  wekiser 
#1 ·
I took some time out this weekend to get my aftermarket interior mirror installed. I took some pictures so I will post them soon.

Why I did this:

I was tired of not having maplights on the Accord VP.

What I bought:

-Wedge mount Donnelly mirror with Auto-Dim, Compass, Maplights, and Temperature Sensor. Ebay - Used ($50)
-Camlock adaptor. Makes the camlock mount accept a wedge mirror. Ebay - New ($15)
-Wire taps and inline fuse. Radio Shack ($10)

Installation:

I followed a hybrid of the Accord Mirror installation procedures and the Donnelly instructions and everything worked pretty well.

I wired the mirror into the accessory sockets in the console. I wanted it to be entirely dependant on the ignition (Even the lights) since they are a little less noticable if you were to leave them on. I thought the only time I need them is when I am operating the car, or in a lot so having them come on only with the key seemed best. I ran the wiring up the A pillar like the Honda installation instructions show.

I really didnt take the headliner down at all. Just tucked the wiring in the lip of the headliner and brought it back out above the mirror.

The temperature probe mounts via a clip to the front grill. This was easy, but figuring out how to get the wires through the firewall was a challenge. I ended up putting a small hole in the wiring harnesses' surrounding rubber gasket in order to pull the wire through. I stayed far from the factory wiring, and found it pretty easy. Just a poke with an awl and I then taped the wire to a small screwdriver and threaded it though. Worked great.

After installation you select your compass zone, and choose standard or metric temperature measurements.

Impressions:
Everything works well and it seems the temperature is accurate. I kinda think this is the way it should be done on the car anyway. I can turn on the maplights (which are both pretty bright) and it has no effect on the drivers night vision since none of it shines in the eye. It gives a great pattern and just works pretty well. The compass and temperature are nice to haves. The autodim feature is really nice to have. Especially now that I drive to work in the dark and come home in the dark many times.

I need to do something better with wiring!

So
Total costs: about $75

Comparable costs at College hills honda: $430

Honda auto day/night mirror for the VP: $231 ($170 mirror, attachment kit $61)

Honda Outside Temperature guage: $110

Maplight assembly: $90 (I Think)

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.