Need opinions on All-WEATHER tires - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 12-07-2016, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
又一位第八代雅阁双门车主

Garage
Need opinions on All-WEATHER tires

First things first:

- I am asking about all-weather tires here, not all-season(or more accurately, 3-season) tires. There is a big difference between them.

- I tried to search the forum, but all the results, as far as I have seen, are talking about all-season tires.

Anyways, BC got its first snow two days ago. Looks great, but there were also loads of accidents happening because of it because nobody in BC is prepared for the snow.

I realized that yesterday.

So last night, I was trying to get some deicer and cola bottles(don't judge; I love those). Got in my car, got the car started up and tried to climb up the driveway. Unfortunately, all the snow became ice, and my Accord wouldn't climb up the slope. I tried three times, and I just couldn't get the car up the slope; the tires were slipping the entire time.

Defeated, I backed my car into the garage and called up a bud to help me get some deicer. Ended up getting coarse salt because both Canadian Tire and Walmart are out of proper deicer... I sprinkled the coarse salt onto the driveway, waited for a couple of hours, and I managed to get my car out of the garage. Took it for a long drive, then parked it near my house since I don't want it stuck again.

So my questions are:

What do you think of all-weather tires?

I am asking because I don't think I will be able to store another set of tires somewhere because I haven't 'settled down' yet, so I just want 1 set of rims and tires. BC winter is also not as harsh as other provinces, so I think I can probably get away with all-weather ones rather than a set of dedicated winter tires.

Another thing is, my current set is still in fairly decent shape, so I feel like it would be bad to toss them away. And a new set of all-weather can be fairly expensive. Nothing is worth more than safety, though, so another question would be this: how do you deal with used tires in fairly good shape? Do tire shops buy them back, or should I wait until summer and sell them to someone? I will keep my current rims, btw, so it will just be 4 tires without rims I have to deal with.

And here is the last question: who makes good all-weather tires? I heard some good things about Nokian, but I want some advice from people.

Thanks in advance!

My first car!

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT+VCM PMM

Mods and such things:

AFE Pro Dry S drop-in filter
HFP body kit
RGR-16D HFP Alloy Wheels
i-VTEC & 3.5 stickers(+10 HP each)(JKLOL)
High and Low beams - Philips CrystalVision Ultra
Front turn signals - HV 6000K white/amber switchback
Rear lights - Philips Vision LEDs
Interior LEDs
Crosstour shift knob
OEM footwell lights
and more!

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT(bone stock, learning stick on this one)
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-07-2016, 05:03 AM
Yea I modded my car again

Weathertech is hands down the best fitment the highest edges and the most robust floor mats you can get.

They smoke the dealer mats.

I am pretty sure there are other companies now offering the identical mats for less price. Probably just copying the weathertech mats.

But once you get those mats your cars carpet will never see salt, dirt or water again.

My brother got my dad weathertech floor mats for his brand new Ford Edge. His buddy got in the car for the first time and the first thing he complimented was how awesome the floor mats were lol. I'm telling you. Mats should have always been like this from the start.

As for tires there is a saying that my buddy made that is 100% true. All season tire = no season tires. They are ok (at best) all the time, but never great at any time. It is best to get designated winter tires, its night and day difference in stopping and turning and will likely prevent an incident in the future. As for summer, I'd go with summer tires or actual performance tires. You mind as well get the best tires for each season. Without good tires you don't get the best from your vehicle.

Used tires are a coin toss. They could have belt issues, flat spot issues, cracking issues from old age (tire age makes a big difference). You will often see good tires that are brand new for sale for cheap, then you ask when they were made and the guy will tell you 5-6 years ago!

It's better to get new decent tires than used good tires.

In general : For winter your main concern is tread depth for snow and slush. For summer tread depth is imperative for water evacuation

Therefore you wanna make sure your suspension is good and everything is straight. Then your tires will last you a long time 3-5 seasons depending on how you drive and what tires you get. 1-2 seasons for high performance summer tires if you like spirited driving.

I cannot stress enough good tires. Winters more so than summers. Once you get good winter tires you'll know what I mean and you'll never go back to no season tires.

08 EX-L V6/6
Performance : Ktuner, Fastline ss clutch line, P2R thermal gaskets, EBC green stuff, XLR8 ss brake lines, tsx rsb, HSD coilovers
Power : RV6 hfpc, XLR8 V2 j-pipe, Injen cai, Unorthodox pulley, Magnaflow cbe, tl sh awd tb, j37 manifold
Extras : Raceseng Sphereology shift knob, Tomei oil cap, red aluminum battery tie down, trailer hitch, interior illumination kit, gold oem style lug nuts, PIAA ion yellow, PIAA extreme white plus, Honda auto dim mirror, JDM red emblems
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 08 v6/6 For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (12-07-2016), UnknownJinX (12-07-2016)
post #3 of 24 Old 12-07-2016, 05:06 AM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
You don't need to toss the current tires away. I assume the current ones are summer tires? If I was you in BC, I'd get a set of snow tires, because they'll benefit you more than anything since you get lots of snow there, and have another set for dry weather. I wouldn't go with all weather tires in BC. Even down here in the Southeast, I know people that have snow tires on cheaper rims and just swap them when the winters come.
UnknownJinX likes this.

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 163k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima
The Following User Says Thank You to salcuta88 For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (12-07-2016)

post #4 of 24 Old 12-07-2016, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
又一位第八代雅阁双门车主

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 v6/6 View Post
Weathertech is hands down the best fitment the highest edges and the most robust floor mats you can get.

They smoke the dealer mats.

I am pretty sure there are other companies now offering the identical mats for less price. Probably just copying the weathertech mats.

But once you get those mats your cars carpet will never see salt, dirt or water again.

My brother got my dad weathertech floor mats for his brand new Ford Edge. His buddy got in the car for the first time and the first thing he complimented was how awesome the floor mats were lol. I'm telling you. Mats should have always been like this from the start.
My car actually came with WeatherTech ones for the front. They are pretty great. WeatherTech stuff's expensive, but they work well. Thanks again for the recommendation for the trunk liner earlier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 v6/6 View Post
As for tires there is a saying that my buddy made that is 100% true. All season tire = no season tires. They are ok (at best) all the time, but never great at any time. It is best to get designated winter tires, its night and day difference in stopping and turning and will likely prevent an incident in the future. As for summer, I'd go with summer tires or actual performance tires. You mind as well get the best tires for each season. Without good tires you don't get the best from your vehicle.

Used tires are a coin toss. They could have belt issues, flat spot issues, cracking issues from old age (tire age makes a big difference). You will often see good tires that are brand new for sale for cheap, then you ask when they were made and the guy will tell you 5-6 years ago!

It's better to get new decent tires than used good tires.

In general : For winter your main concern is tread depth for snow and slush. For summer tread depth is imperative for water evacuation

Therefore you wanna make sure your suspension is good and everything is straight. Then your tires will last you a long time 3-5 seasons depending on how you drive and what tires you get. 1-2 seasons for high performance summer tires if you like spirited driving.

I cannot stress enough good tires. Winters more so than summers. Once you get good winter tires you'll know what I mean and you'll never go back to no season tires.
I know. No-season is terrible. Heck, I get VSA kicking off even on dry ground at times. Would never want them again.

From your response, I would assume that I probably won't be able to sell my current set for a good price. Oh well. I will get a brand new set for myself.

The biggest issue with me is, as I mentioned, storage. I may end up moving around a bit, and in the future I may not even live in BC. There is also the cost issue. I don't mind spending money on new tires, but to store them and get new rims, that's also quite a bit of money. That's why all-weather ones got my attention. They combine the traits of summer and winter tires. Not gonna be as good as dedicated ones, nach, but it makes more economical senses to me, and BC's weather is not as harsh as Ontario, so I am hoping they would enough.

Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salcuta88 View Post
You don't need to toss the current tires away. I assume the current ones are summer tires? It I was you in BC, I'd get a set of snow tires, because they'll benefit you more than anything since you get lots of snow there, and have another set for dry weather. I wouldn't go with all weather tires in BC. Even down here in the Southeast, I know people that have snow tires on cheaper rims and just swap them when the winters come.
They are all-season.

BC actually doesn't get snow often, and when we do, we don't get that much. There were a few accidents because people are not used to it. East coast people, on the other hand, get loads of snow and they are more snowproof.

I know ideally, having two sets is the best, but with cost and storage issues in mind, I just think all-weather makes more sense to me. In the future, when I settle down somewhere, I will definitely have two sets.

Thanks for your opinions.

Has anyone here used all-weather? It would be great to hear some experience. I would prefer not being the Guinea Pig here.

Edit: another thing with winter tires I just found out is that they don't perform as well in rain, which is a much more common phenomenon in BC in winter than snow.

My first car!

Mods and such things:

HFP body kit
RGR-16D HFP Alloy Wheels
Interior LEDs
Crosstour shift knob
OEM footwell lights
and more!

post #5 of 24 Old 12-07-2016, 02:11 PM
pessimistic optimist

This is one of those Canada things isn't it? I have had great success with General Altimax Arctic snow tires. They are magnificent in snow (up to 13" deep in my experience) and are more than acceptable in rain also. For an all-season (or all weather if you are Canadian?) I have, and LOVE Kumho Ecsta 4XIIs, they are fantastic in three season use, and are good enough in snow to get me home in an emergency.

2008 EX sedan 2.4l, 3 pedals
Mods: Weapon R I Throttle, OE style lip spoiler, painted calipers, K&N drop in w/ resonator delete, Redline shift boot & armrest cover, Crosstour cluster, JDM style visors, retrofit headlights (morimoto h1 7.0)
J2 CBE, DIY 9th gen short shifter
Future: springs/struts, TL RSB (springtime)
post #6 of 24 Old 12-07-2016, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
又一位第八代雅阁双门车主

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boring 08 EX View Post
This is one of those Canada things isn't it? I have had great success with General Altimax Arctic snow tires. They are magnificent in snow (up to 13" deep in my experience) and are more than acceptable in rain also. For an all-season (or all weather if you are Canadian?) I have, and LOVE Kumho Ecsta 4XIIs, they are fantastic in three season use, and are good enough in snow to get me home in an emergency.
There is a reason I bolded season and weather.

In short, all-season tires are summer tires with a little bit of winter tire traits, while all-weather tires are a hybrid of both winter and summer tires, which makes them able to handle a bit of snow, and you can still have them on all year.

Thanks for the advice, still. In the future, after I start permanently living somewhere, I can consider two sets.

I went ahead and ordered a set of all-weather. Only KalTires have them; all the local shops don't carry them.

I made some more research before this decision. Here are my reasons:

- BC rarely snows; even if it does, it's not very thick. We just have heck load of rain, so all-weather will be capable of handling the rain and occasionally snow.

- I don't have a place to cheaply store summer tires, unfortunately. Tires are not like money in the sense that, for money, you can deposit and withdraw anywhere, while tires don't work like that.

- I can store my all-season for now and try to sell them spring next year.

So yeah, I will put them on next week and let y'all know how it goes. Definitely an option some people may consider.

(Yeah, I wrote this on my phone. Wow.)

My first car!

Mods and such things:

HFP body kit
RGR-16D HFP Alloy Wheels
Interior LEDs
Crosstour shift knob
OEM footwell lights
and more!

post #7 of 24 Old 12-07-2016, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
又一位第八代雅阁双门车主

Garage
Here are some quick pics I took. They are to people an idea what the snow/ice is like in BC.

There is a thin layer of ice on the driveway. That was why I couldn't get out.

(Yeah, I wrote this on my phone. Wow.)

My first car!

Mods and such things:

HFP body kit
RGR-16D HFP Alloy Wheels
Interior LEDs
Crosstour shift knob
OEM footwell lights
and more!

post #8 of 24 Old 12-07-2016, 06:08 PM
Out of Control

Garage
I had never heard of all-weather tires until your post. So I Googled it. Most of the top hits were from Canadian web sites. Then went on TireRack and tried to find all-weather tires. None for my Accord. All Season, Summer, or Winter. Maybe this really is a Canadian thing?

Can't tell from your info listed where in BC you are. Near the coast? I might try to get by on all-seasons and put up with the occasional snow fall. Inland? I'd go with winter tires.
post #9 of 24 Old 12-07-2016, 06:42 PM
2nd Gear

I run the Nokian WR G3 on my '12 Accord coupe. I had them on my Subaru Impreza previously. They are a significant improvement over the no-seasons currently on your car. The basis of these tires are the Nokian WR A3/D3 central European winter tires. The WR G3 carries the severe service emblem (mountain/snowflake symbol). They do really well with resisting both aquaplaning and slush planing. I did drive them on ice when I had my Scooby and they performed well (stopping my car as I descended an icy hill- didn't even trigger the ABS). They're not as good in deep snow as a dedicated winter like the Blizzak WS 80 or the Hakkapeliitta R2, but if you don't get that level of snow, these will be a good fit. In the US, TireRack doesn't carry them. You can get them from TiresbyWeb or at select authorized retailers (I use STS). In Canada, I think Kal Tire carries them. Not sure about other retailers.

Consumer Reports loves them, and gave them a great review (check out the Youtube video review that CR did).
I haven't tried the Toyo Celsius that CR mentions.

Just remember, if the ice is significant enough, you'll need studded tires. Even studless winters won't work on pure ice.

2012 Accord EX-L V6 coupe, polished metal metallic.
The Following User Says Thank You to DerekWildstar For This Useful Post:
UnknownJinX (12-07-2016)
post #10 of 24 Old 12-07-2016, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
又一位第八代雅阁双门车主

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMVB View Post
I had never heard of all-weather tires until your post. So I Googled it. Most of the top hits were from Canadian web sites. Then went on TireRack and tried to find all-weather tires. None for my Accord. All Season, Summer, or Winter. Maybe this really is a Canadian thing?

Can't tell from your info listed where in BC you are. Near the coast? I might try to get by on all-seasons and put up with the occasional snow fall. Inland? I'd go with winter tires.
I went with Nokian WRG3, which DerekWildstar recommended.

You can use this link here. Look at your owner's manual for what kind of tires you need. Make sure everything is exact, except for the load index, which I believe is good if it is over the factory ones. In my case, WRG3 has a load index of 95, while the factory ones' are 94, so I am good to go.

I live on the island. I heard the snow is much worse in the lower mainland. One of my friends took the chance and had some fun at an empty parking lot... until he got stuck and lost an unimportant piece on his car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekWildstar View Post
I run the Nokian WR G3 on my '12 Accord coupe. I had them on my Subaru Impreza previously. They are a significant improvement over the no-seasons currently on your car. The basis of these tires are the Nokian WR A3/D3 central European winter tires. The WR G3 carries the severe service emblem. They do really well with resisting both aquaplaning and slush planing. I did drive them on ice when I had by Scooby and they performed well (stopping my car as I descended an icy hill- didn't even trigger the ABS). They're not as good in deep snow as a dedicated winter like the Blizzak WS 80 or the Hakkapeliitta R2, but if you don't get that level of snow, these will be a good fit. In the US, TireRack doesn't carry them. You can get them from TiresbyWeb or at select authorized retailers (I use STS). In Canada, I think Kal Tire carries them. Not sure about other retailers.

Consumer Reports loves them, and gave them a great review (check out the Youtube video review that CR did). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JfEcVZvQEA I haven't tried the Toyo Celsius that CR mentions.

Just remember, if the ice is significant enough, you'll need studded tires. Even studless winters won't work on pure ice.
Glad to hear your feedback on these tires! Thanks a lot! Did you have VSA kicking off all the time with no-season tires? I get that a lot on dry grounds.

I ordered them from Kal Tire. Apparently, all-weather tires are so popular that they are running out! I just happened to grab the last set that fits my car. They will be installed on next Tuesday since they need to get them from a warehouse.

Most of the local shops don't have them. Don't bother.

BC winters are never that icy. We dip below 0 C(32 F), but not too much. It's awesome that they prevent hydroplaning because BC's rainter can create a lot of problems. Have a friend who got into an accident because his car slid through an intersection and now he has to restart his 2-year Novice license period.

My first car!

Mods and such things:

HFP body kit
RGR-16D HFP Alloy Wheels
Interior LEDs
Crosstour shift knob
OEM footwell lights
and more!

post #11 of 24 Old 12-07-2016, 07:34 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Glad to hear your feedback on these tires! Thanks a lot! Did you have VSA kicking off all the time with no-season tires? I get that a lot on dry grounds.

I ordered them from Kal Tire. Apparently, all-weather tires are so popular that they are running out! I just happened to grab the last set that fits my car. They will be installed on next Tuesday since they need to get them from a warehouse.

Most of the local shops don't have them. Don't bother.

BC winters are never that icy. We dip below 0 C(32 F), but not too much. It's awesome that they prevent hydroplaning because BC's rainter can create a lot of problems. Have a friend who got into an accident because his car slid through an intersection and now he has to restart his 2-year Novice license period.
You made a very good choice. I think you'll be happy with them.

When I had the OEM Michelin craptacular no-seasons on my Accord, on dry roads I only got VSA flickering momentarily when I mashed the throttle like an animal. However, whenever it would rain, the car just never felt planted to the road. I'm certainly not Fernando Alonso or Jenson Button, but I think I'm pretty sensitive to how my car feels while I'm driving, and I was never happy with foul weather performance with the Michelins. One look at the snow/ice reviews on TireRack for the Michelins, and I knew I had to ditch them before the first snowfall last year. I actually found out about the Nokians when I was looking for a replacement for the utterly awful Yokohama tires that came with my Impreza- the tail stepped out sideways on me in the rain while taking a curve, doing quite a bit below the speed limit... this with a car with all wheel drive! Someone on NASIOC (the Impreza owners forum) recommended the WR G3, and I've been a loyal customer ever since.

You know where you'll feel a big difference with the tires? If you're on a plowed highway during a storm, the slush/snow usually covers the lane lines, so as you change lanes, you go from clear/plowed pavement to a mound of snow, and then back to clear pavement again. As you're passing the snow, the all-seasons will slide a bit, due to the change of directions. One big difference- the WR G3s will just cut through that snow mix. You won't feel the wheel jerk or the car pull. It's a pretty cool experience.

Even with the better tires, one thing I do is, if I'm starting on a snowy or icy slope, to put the car in 2nd gear (for my '12, I shift into sport mode, and then use the paddle shifter to select 2nd). It reduces the torque, cutting wheel spin. The traction control is really invasive, so depending on the situation, I'll turn it off and just feather the throttle a little. Maybe something to consider, if you don't do it already.

post #12 of 24 Old 12-07-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
又一位第八代雅阁双门车主

Garage
Quote:
You made a very good choice. I think you'll be happy with them.

When I had the OEM Michelin craptacular no-seasons on my Accord, on dry roads I only got VSA flickering momentarily when I mashed the throttle like an animal. However, whenever it would rain, the car just never felt planted to the road. I'm certainly not Fernando Alonso or Jenson Button, but I think I'm pretty sensitive to how my car feels while I'm driving, and I was never happy with foul weather performance with the Michelins. One look at the snow/ice reviews on TireRack for the Michelins, and I knew I had to ditch them before the first snowfall last year. I actually found out about the Nokians when I was looking for a replacement for the utterly awful Yokohama tires that came with my Impreza- the tail stepped out sideways on me in the rain while taking a curve, doing quite a bit below the speed limit... this with a car with all wheel drive! Someone on NASIOC (the Impreza owners forum) recommended the WR G3, and I've been a loyal customer ever since.

You know where you'll feel a big difference with the tires? If you're on a plowed highway during a storm, the slush/snow usually covers the lane lines, so as you change lanes, you go from clear/plowed pavement to a mound of snow, and then back to clear pavement again. As you're passing the snow, the all-seasons will slide a bit, due to the change of directions. One big difference- the WR G3s will just cut through that snow mix. You won't feel the wheel jerk or the car pull. It's a pretty cool experience.

Even with the better tires, one thing I do is, if I'm starting on a snowy or icy slope, to put the car in 2nd gear (for my '12, I shift into sport mode, and then use the paddle shifter to select 2nd). It reduces the torque, cutting wheel spin. The traction control is really invasive, so depending on the situation, I'll turn it off and just feather the throttle a little. Maybe something to consider, if you don't do it already.
No wonder they are sold out so quickly then!

The original tires worked OK in the rains, except once. I entered a turn a little too fast, and as I was turning, I can feel the wheels hop sideways. Not a pleasant experience.

On early 8th Gen AT's, we just have a traditional gear selector. It has P, R, N, D, D3, 2, 1. Never really touch them outside parking except for engine braking when going downhill. I put the car in 1 when I did that. I also didn't turn VSA off because the ice is uneven - some parts of the driveway are perfectly dry, while the others are very icy. When I tried to get out last night, my car slowly started to turn towards the mud, which I got stuck in before I got my Novice license. If I did manage to get out, chances were, I would also launch my car out so fast in an unpredictable way; I could have potentially crashed into many things. I will try the technique with better tires on, though. Thanks!

How much did you pay for your set, btw?

My first car!

Mods and such things:

HFP body kit
RGR-16D HFP Alloy Wheels
Interior LEDs
Crosstour shift knob
OEM footwell lights
and more!

post #13 of 24 Old 12-08-2016, 03:46 AM
5th Gear

Glad you went with the Nokian. May not be the best outside winter season but that seems to have the best traction among all weather tires.

My manager has got them on his SUV. In my case, because we have to rotate the tires anyway and because I live in Toronto, I opted for separate tire sets since there will always be compromises, even with all weather, likely with the thread wearing faster during warmer months but then again in Victoria/Vancouver, summer and winter are milder and you guys don't need to drive as much as we do here.

2011 Accord Coupe I4 5 A/T
post #14 of 24 Old 12-08-2016, 06:47 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
No wonder they are sold out so quickly then!

The original tires worked OK in the rains, except once. I entered a turn a little too fast, and as I was turning, I can feel the wheels hop sideways. Not a pleasant experience.

On early 8th Gen AT's, we just have a traditional gear selector. It has P, R, N, D, D3, 2, 1. Never really touch them outside parking except for engine braking when going downhill. I put the car in 1 when I did that. I also didn't turn VSA off because the ice is uneven - some parts of the driveway are perfectly dry, while the others are very icy. When I tried to get out last night, my car slowly started to turn towards the mud, which I got stuck in before I got my Novice license. If I did manage to get out, chances were, I would also launch my car out so fast in an unpredictable way; I could have potentially crashed into many things. I will try the technique with better tires on, though. Thanks!

How much did you pay for your set, btw?
I paid about $800 USD for mine, although it would have been cheaper if I had used Tiresbyweb. The local STS is really well-run, though, and I don't mind paying a little extra for better service.

If you watch this guy's video, he demonstrates the 2nd gear-VSA off-feather the throttle technique around the 1:20 mark:

The best description of the WR G3 is that they are year-round performance winter tires. Don't compare them to the Blizzak WS 80 or the Hakkapeliitta R2. They compete more with tires like the Blizzak LM-32, LM-001, or the Yokohama IceGuard IG20. Which is to say, not as good in the deep stuff as the full-on winter tires, but significantly better than the no seasons you had. I'll be eager to hear your thoughts after you drive them in the first snow storm. And also... even with winter tires... don't drive like an animal in the snow (unless you want to go hooning in an empty parking lot). Tires are no replacement for common sense.
UnknownJinX likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to DerekWildstar For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (12-08-2016)
post #15 of 24 Old 12-08-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
又一位第八代雅阁双门车主

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalaudit View Post
Glad you went with the Nokian. May not be the best outside winter season but that seems to have the best traction among all weather tires.

My manager has got them on his SUV. In my case, because we have to rotate the tires anyway and because I live in Toronto, I opted for separate tire sets since there will always be compromises, even with all weather, likely with the thread wearing faster during warmer months but then again in Victoria/Vancouver, summer and winter are milder and you guys don't need to drive as much as we do here.
The best would naturally be 2 sets of tires, but I won't have a place to store the spare set, so all-weather will do. Such is life.

A little bit off-topic ranting, but if you live on Vancouver Island and you have a car, you will NEVER want to take the bus again. In Vancouver, public transit still has its worth since traffic is busier there; I hated driving in Vancouver. In Victoria, however, traffic is good enough for the most part that driving is more enjoyable, and buses miss their schedule fairly often and are thus less reliable.

Another thing I don't like about the buses in BC: some people who obviously should be dragged/kicked off the bus. If you don't know how to share public space with people, get. off. the. bus. Nobody wants to deal with your mess. The one time I had to take a bus to university(my car was at the dealership for an ATF change), the guy sat behind me swore nonstop at nothing for absolutely no reason. Almost turned around to punch him.

Yes, I realize some people are mentally challenged/unstable, but the said people should not be allowed to use public transit without proper supervision. Not saying this to be mean, but this is for the greater good of the people around them that have to be stuck in a big metal box with them.

Anyways...

Quote:
I paid about $800 USD for mine, although it would have been cheaper if I had used Tiresbyweb. The local STS is really well-run, though, and I don't mind paying a little extra for better service.

If you watch this guy's video, he demonstrates the 2nd gear-VSA off-feather the throttle technique around the 1:20 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERafYoTmrCw

The best description of the WR G3 is that they are year-round performance winter tires. Don't compare them to the Blizzak WS 80 or the Hakkapeliitta R2. They compete more with tires like the Blizzak LM-32, LM-001, or the Yokohama IceGuard IG20. Which is to say, not as good in the deep stuff as the full-on winter tires, but significantly better than the no seasons you had. I'll be eager to hear your thoughts after you drive them in the first snow storm. And also... even with winter tires... don't drive like an animal in the snow (unless you want to go hooning in an empty parking lot). Tires are no replacement for common sense.
Huh... Kal Tire is more expensive then. I have to pay CAN$1400(US$1060). The tires themselves are CAN$1000, wheel alignment for CAN$100, new tire sensors for TPMS for CAN$50, and the labour is roughly CAN$100, I think. The rest is 12% tax. You got a really good deal, then. I don't have a choice here, either, since Nokian WRG3 is Kal Tire exclusive in Canada.

I realize that they are not dull on winter tires, but BC winter is also not as harsh, and we have to worry more about the rain, so all-weather tires should be good for my purpose.

Thanks for telling me the technique! Will definitely help in the future.

And no, I won't be stupid if the road condition is terrible. I will give feedbacks after I get them on.

My first car!

Mods and such things:

HFP body kit
RGR-16D HFP Alloy Wheels
Interior LEDs
Crosstour shift knob
OEM footwell lights
and more!

The Following User Says Thank You to UnknownJinX For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (12-09-2016)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.