Just got quoted $1200 for front and rear pad and rotor replacement - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 61 Old 03-10-2017, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Just got quoted $1200 for front and rear pad and rotor replacement

That's too high, right?

- This is not a dealership
- Doing it myself is not an option
- Apparently the rotors have already been shaved and there's not enough metal to shave again

Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 03-10-2017, 05:22 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Jesus Mickey, run as far away from that place as possible.

I've attached a screenshot of RockAuto's offerings for the 2008 Accord V6's brake pad and rotor kit options (that's apparently too small to read because of DA's resizing, lol). The best kit they offer is $272.79 and the kit includes "high-performance carbon fiber/ceramic brake pads and a complete set of cross-drilled & slotted rotors". Use that to determine whether or not the quote you get from other shops is fair.

Here's the link: http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/h...+pad+kit,13824

(not saying you need to buy these, it's just a price example)

Attached Images

Selene, 1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan, 2.3L F23A4, 136K, liquid wrapped jet black
Harlock, 1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe, 3.8L 3800-II, 120K, sebring silver
Dana, 2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan, 2.2 L 2200, 134K, sandrift metallic
The Following User Says Thank You to enne For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (03-13-2017)
post #3 of 61 Old 03-10-2017, 05:24 AM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
Too high!

Where are you located?

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 168k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma

post #4 of 61 Old 03-10-2017, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salcuta View Post
Too high!

Where are you located?
DC. So rates will be a bit higher. I'm guessing they bill for 6 hours of labor? at $100+ per hour I think it's easily $700+ in labor.
post #5 of 61 Old 03-10-2017, 05:30 AM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
6 hours? Takes me 5 minutes to change the pads on one wheel.... They're crazy!

Call around for multiple quotes.

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 168k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
post #6 of 61 Old 03-10-2017, 05:36 AM
Corvalis TTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
Jesus Mickey, run as far away from that place as possible.

I've attached a screenshot of RockAuto's offerings for the 2008 Accord V6's brake pad and rotor kit options (that's apparently too small to read because of DA's resizing, lol). The best kit they offer is $272.79 and the kit includes "high-performance carbon fiber/ceramic brake pads and a complete set of cross-drilled & slotted rotors". Use that to determine whether or not the quote you get from other shops is fair.

Here's the link: 2008 HONDA ACCORD 3.5L V6 Rotor & Brake Pad Kit | RockAuto

(not saying you need to buy these, it's just a price example)

I'm preparing to hand over my 8th gen to my kids. I just replaced front and rear discs and pads with the Powerstop Autospecialty daily driver kit from Rockauto. I had my independent mechanic install them and so far so good. I was concerned about the quality given the low price but I have no issues so far.
post #7 of 61 Old 03-10-2017, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:

I hear ya, but not exactly relevant as its not how professional shops charge for labor. And as I stated earlier, doing it myself is not an option.

So, I called 2 other shops and quotes of a little over $900 and $1000 respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
I'm preparing to hand over my 8th gen to my kids. I just replaced front and rear discs and pads with the Powerstop Autospecialty daily driver kit from Rockauto. I had my independent mechanic install them and so far so good. I was concerned about the quality given the low price but I have no issues so far.
This would've been a super sweet reply if you had included how much you'd paid said independent mechanic!

Last edited by namegoeshere; 03-10-2017 at 06:18 AM. Reason: merger
post #8 of 61 Old 03-10-2017, 05:41 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
$100 per hour for labor? I better be getting cappuccino and a foot massage for that price. That shop is preying on people who don't know better. Try some other places in the area and see what they give you. It's okay to ask for average quality pads and rotors over the highest quality ones. As long as they stop the car, they're good. I usually get Duralast or Raybestos brand. You don't need slotted rotors on your DD

Also, unless your rotors are making the car vibrate when stopping or they're rusting apart, you don't really need to change them. When's the last time they were changed?

Let's do some very, very simple and general math here: a brake and rotor set for all 4 wheels is maybe $150 at retail price. The shop does not pay that much for it, mind you. Mark that retail price up a generous 50%. Labor should be from $75 to $90 an hour (where I live in PA anyway). Give them MAYBE two hours labor because you're going to sit and wait for your brakes to be done instead of handing the car over and leaving it there all day.

$480 plus tax out the door.
chriso likes this.

post #9 of 61 Old 03-10-2017, 05:43 AM
Corvalis TTX

Quote:

I agree - call around. I also agree 6 hours is crazy

Pads can be quickly to replace if that's all you are doing. But let's not give the OP the wrong impression. If pads and discs need to be replaced chances are there is a good amount of cleanup to do:

- remove old grease and dirt and rust from where the pads slide (and this should be done with just a pad change too IMO)
- remove rust buildup from the wheel hub
- check and possibly lubricate slide pins
- check and possibly replace slide pin boots

I recently paid for a reasonable two hours of labour to have all 4 discs and pads replaced. My rear discs were over 4 years old and had a lot of rust. There was a lot of cleanup needed. I pay my mechanic $40 (Cdn) per hour. Most other shops in my area are $100-$130 Cdn per hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slebo3213 View Post
This would've been a super sweet reply if you had included how much you'd paid said independent mechanic!
You are right - see above

Mark
14 Accord Touring V6 sedan

2014 Audi S4 | 2016 Porsche GT3-RS | 08 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 | 2012 Cessna 400 Corvalis TTX

Gone but not forgotten :97 Jaguar XJ6 | 95 Ford Taurus SHO | 77 MGB

Last edited by namegoeshere; 03-10-2017 at 06:21 AM. Reason: merger
post #10 of 61 Old 03-10-2017, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

This is DC, not Pennsylvania. There won't be any foot rubs.

I just called the original shop back and they're knocking $100 off the price which puts them on par with the 2 other shops I called. I guess $1000 is about the going rate around here.

I had the rears shave a couple of years back but they're squeaking a bit now, which gets my wife asking questions, and a happy wife is a happy life!

I've had a horrible experience with the brakes on this thing. It was just a matter of time before they had to be replaced. The bright side is that the car has a 125k on it and this will be the last time I do it on this vehicle.

Quote:
You are right - see above
Thank you. When I called them back they agreed to knock $100 off and did mention that there would be some extra cleanup and lubricating that will be necessary.

As much as I hate dropping $1100 on this job it appears to be the market rate around here.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 03-10-2017 at 06:21 AM. Reason: le merge
post #11 of 61 Old 03-10-2017, 05:59 AM
Corvalis TTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
$100 per hour for labor? I better be getting cappuccino and a foot massage for that price. That shop is preying on people who don't know better. Try some other places in the area and see what they give you. It's okay to ask for average quality pads and rotors over the highest quality ones. As long as they stop the car, they're good. I usually get Duralast or Raybestos brand. You don't need slotted rotors on your DD

Also, unless your rotors are making the car vibrate when stopping or they're rusting apart, you don't really need to change them. When's the last time they were changed?

Let's do some very, very simple and general math here: a brake and rotor set for all 4 wheels is maybe $150 at retail price. The shop does not pay that much for it, mind you. Mark that retail price up a generous 50%. Labor should be from $75 to $90 an hour (where I live in PA anyway). Give them MAYBE two hours labor because you're going to sit and wait for your brakes to be done instead of handing the car over and leaving it there all day.

$480 plus tax out the door.

Let's look at what I did:

I ordered the kit from Rockauto. Price to my door for the kit was ~270 Cdn (damn that low Canadian dollar). Add $80 labour and tax and I'm at a little over $360 Cdn. Now, my independent mechanic could not order discs/pads for all 4 wheels for less than $550 Cdn. So I saved $230 Cdn by ordering parts from the US.

In talking to my independent mechanic who is 40km (25 miles) away from me and also talking to local shops all charge double the labour rate when the customer supplies the parts. My independent guy says I am his only client for whom he does not charge double the labour rate when I supply parts because I've never supplied incorrect parts in over 16 years unlike most of clients who supply their own parts. They justify the higher labour rate because they risk having a car stuck on a hoist while correct parts are tracked down (and of course the loss of their markup on parts).

Mark

2014 Audi S4 | 2016 Porsche GT3-RS | 08 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 | 2012 Cessna 400 Corvalis TTX

post #12 of 61 Old 03-10-2017, 05:59 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
I guess $1000 is about the going rate around here. I had the rears shaved a couple of years back but they're squeaking a bit now, which gets my wife asking questions, and a happy wife is a happy life!
Your rotors are squeaking...?

post #13 of 61 Old 03-10-2017, 06:02 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
That's too high, right?

- This is not a dealership
- Doing it myself is not an option
- Apparently the rotors have already been shaved and there's not enough metal to shave again
Can I ask why doing it yourself is not an option? I have changed my brakes in a pinch with basic tools and the spare tire jack that comes with the car so I'm just curious. There are plenty of videos to help if you are hesitant because you have never done it.

Just seems like that's not $1000 well spent in my opinion.
Das Chicken likes this.

2012 Accord Coupe V6 Ex-L

19" HFP Wheels | Yokohama S-Drive Tires
HFP Lip Kit | Debadged Trunk
H&R Trak+ DRM Wheel Spacers (20mm front, 25mm rear)
Magnaflow Catback | K&N intake
5500K HID's | LED High Beams / DRL | LED Fogs | Full LED Interior Swap
Neon Green Calipers
25% Tints | Tinted Tail Lights
Pioneer Champion Series 10" Sub | Pioneer Champion Series Amp 2400 Watt
post #14 of 61 Old 03-10-2017, 06:12 AM
Corvalis TTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhsswimmer View Post
Can I ask why doing it yourself is not an option? I have changed my brakes in a pinch with basic tools and the spare tire jack that comes with the car so I'm just curious. There are plenty of videos to help if you are hesitant because you have never done it.

Just seems like that's not $1000 well spent in my opinion.
I would never ever work on brakes using just the spare tire jack. I'm sure lots of people do and lots of people get away with it but it really is not a smart thing to do. I say this not to chide you but so that others reading your post won't get the idea that it's okay to do this. For the record it's foolish and dangerous - many people have died from unsafely raising their vehicle and not supporting it with jack stands.

Mark

post #15 of 61 Old 03-10-2017, 06:21 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
I would never ever work on brakes using just the spare tire jack. I'm sure lots of people do and lots of people get away with it but it really is not a smart thing to do. I say this not to chide you but so that others reading your post won't get the idea that it's okay to do this. For the record it's foolish and dangerous - many people have died from unsafely raising their vehicle and not supporting it with jack stands.
I do understand that its not ideal and I would NEVER put myself in a position where the car could possible fall on me. I did it once because I was in a pinch and have no other choice.

I was saying it to reiterate the fact that the OP could save serious amounts of money by doing it himself. Buying good quality pads and rotors, 2 jack stands, and a floor jack would still be under $500.

Das Chicken likes this.

2012 Accord Coupe V6 Ex-L

19" HFP Wheels | Yokohama S-Drive Tires
HFP Lip Kit | Debadged Trunk
H&R Trak+ DRM Wheel Spacers (20mm front, 25mm rear)
Magnaflow Catback | K&N intake
5500K HID's | LED High Beams / DRL | LED Fogs | Full LED Interior Swap
Neon Green Calipers
25% Tints | Tinted Tail Lights
Pioneer Champion Series 10" Sub | Pioneer Champion Series Amp 2400 Watt
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.