Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Do all brands of rotors get like this?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  RMN 
#1 ·
Not a big deal, but I'd rather they looked new if I could help it. Brakes are fine, but rotors look like crap. I've read a few threads but got no definitive answer. Do I just have to live with this on Accords? My rotors always ended up looking like this regardless of brand. Never on other cars though. Always looked like new. Has anyone had success with different rotor pad combo? These are Raybestos rotors with Duralast Ceramic Max pads. They're not ridged, just look like it. Rotor is still smooth.

See less See more
#3 ·
If you want a mirror finish, look for really light performing ceramic pads. If you want braking power, then semi-metallic or metallic pads with tons of dust and eat into rotors. I prefer the latter, they are brakes! Or you can wait until Tesla comes out with some magnetic ones that reverse magnetic polarity when pedal is pressed, much like how bullet trains stop...... that's many years away? Brake technology has not changed for about 100 years. You can keep the rotors relative smooth as long as you lube the slider pins so the caliper bracket closes in evenly top and bottom.

#6 ·
Do you live in an area where there is a lot of dirt/sand? Drive on dirt/gravel roads? Just looking for contributing factors here. I have Raybestos (NAPA) rotors, with Honda pads, and they do look cleaner than that. Looks like it could be just a little rust from rain earlier in the day if you haven't used the brakes much since. If there are no deep grooves, that will catch a fingernail, I'd say it's nothing serious.

#7 ·
I live in SW Florida. Quite humid. Things do tend to rust here.

#9 ·
Pardon me sir, but my door hinge bolts are spotless. As are my strut bolts and wheel wells. The frame is not visible so I don't obsess over it. I dislike rust and am constantly Dremeling something or other. Damn humidity in SW Florida. Finish with a light coat of Boeshield T9 and you're good to go.

IMO, rust is a sign of a neglected car. Just my opinion. That's why I asked about the rotors in another post. Whenever I replace a caliper, I coat it. Tends to keep the rust at bay.

#11 ·
True dat. And wildfires, and earthquakes, and ridiculous gun control laws. I can deal with a little rust in the Gunshine state.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.