maintenence required light - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-14-2005, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear
 
jakes29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 147
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maintenence required light

My maintenence required light flashes ten times when I turn the key to the on positiion. It flashes ten times and then quits. I don't think I have noticed this before, but maybe it always does that.

Anybody have any idea what may be causing this? Thanks

2000 Accord EX
206k miles
I4 Auto All Stock
Original Transmission
jakes29 is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 06-14-2005, 11:13 AM
3rd Gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to CometVR4
I have this light as well..I dunno how to turn it off. It started out flashing a couple of times, and the more miles I put on the car it more it flashes, now it stays on. I rotated my tires and changed the oil

1998 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 6-Spd
2004 Acura TL Navi Satin Silver Metallic
1998 Honda Accord EX V6 Taffeta White 143K SOLD
CometVR4 is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 06-14-2005, 11:35 AM
5th Gear
 
Pairallel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 687
Thanks: 2
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
This is the most commonly asked question on Honda sites all over the internet...and the answer is in your owner's manual.

But since we're very friendly here......

The maintenance required light is activated by mileage only. There are no magical sensors to detect the age of your oil, the quality of your maintenance, or your mechanical ability. As you get closer to the specified interval (7500 miles?), it will start to flash. Once you get there, it stays on.

To turn it off, hold in your mileage reset button, turn your key on, and wait until it goes out (about 10 seconds).

If it doesn't go off, THEN we need to talk...


'13 Accord EXL V6 (19k miles)
'11 CR-V SE (35k miles)
'09 Pilot EX-L (60k miles)
'14 CR-V EX (4k miles)
Pairallel is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 06-14-2005, 11:43 AM
5th Gear
 
Pairallel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 687
Thanks: 2
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVR4
I have this light as well..I dunno how to turn it off. It started out flashing a couple of times, and the more miles I put on the car it more it flashes, now it stays on. I rotated my tires and changed the oil
P.S. Welcome to Driveaccord, Comet. 2 very nice looking rides you got there...!

'13 Accord EXL V6 (19k miles)
'11 CR-V SE (35k miles)
'09 Pilot EX-L (60k miles)
'14 CR-V EX (4k miles)
Pairallel is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 06-14-2005, 03:33 PM
3rd Gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to CometVR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairallel
This is the most commonly asked question on Honda sites all over the internet...and the answer is in your owner's manual.

But since we're very friendly here......

The maintenance required light is activated by mileage only. There are no magical sensors to detect the age of your oil, the quality of your maintenance, or your mechanical ability. As you get closer to the specified interval (7500 miles?), it will start to flash. Once you get there, it stays on.

To turn it off, hold in your mileage reset button, turn your key on, and wait until it goes out (about 10 seconds).

If it doesn't go off, THEN we need to talk...

Thanks for your help. I bought my Honda used and it didn't come with an owners manual.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairallel
P.S. Welcome to Driveaccord, Comet. 2 very nice looking rides you got there...!
Thanks, It took me forever to find a forum just for Accords.

1998 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 6-Spd
2004 Acura TL Navi Satin Silver Metallic
1998 Honda Accord EX V6 Taffeta White 143K SOLD
CometVR4 is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 06-14-2005, 04:18 PM
5th Gear
 
Pairallel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 687
Thanks: 2
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Owner's Manuals are pretty easy to find on EBay for around $10:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...980265953&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...979818484&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...980219938&rd=1

'13 Accord EXL V6 (19k miles)
'11 CR-V SE (35k miles)
'09 Pilot EX-L (60k miles)
'14 CR-V EX (4k miles)
Pairallel is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 06-14-2005, 06:58 PM
6th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: northern AL
Posts: 1,336
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A nice local dealer might give you an owner's manual for free. My local Chrysler dealer did in 2001 for my 1993 LeBaron.

---------------------
2002 Accord EXVL Auto Sedan - Nighthawk Black Pearl / Quartz, fog lights, mud guards, wheel locks, trunk tray
1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT Auto Coupe
benjamming is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 06-16-2005, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear
 
jakes29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 147
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my owners manual on Ebay. Came complete with everything for around 15 bucks.

2000 Accord EX
206k miles
I4 Auto All Stock
Original Transmission
jakes29 is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 06-21-2005, 11:22 AM
4th Gear
 
jintegra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: GTA, Canada
Posts: 242
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just reset mine yesterday. Thanks to all who posted in this & other maintenance light threads.

04 Deep Green Pearl Accord EX-L 5MT I4 sedan: mud guards, tint, hood guard, mroof deflector, TL sway bar, silver shift knob, convex mirror, gdo mod, lip spoiler ...
95 Red Integra LS 5MT ... gone but not forgotten.
87 Metalic Beige Accord S 5MT h/b (RIP)
jintegra is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 01-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Administrator
 
andysinnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Merrimack, NH
Posts: 2,386
Thanks: 4
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Send a message via AIM to andysinnh
Maint Req'd light won't reset....

OK - Since the son is now driving the Accord more than I, while moving it in the driveway tonite I noticed the Maint Req'd light was flashing. Car has 8500 miles. Oil's been changed by me twice so far. As has been said here and in the owner's manual, you push the reset button, turn the ignition to On and hold the button for 10 secs or so, until the light goes out.

Tried this 5 different times and the light still blinks. I know I understand how to do this because I do it on the Pilot - but the Accord doesn't seem to like me. Any ideas?

thx- andy

A 3 "Honda" (and 1 "Ford" and 1 "BMW") Family in NH

12 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech Package (White, Wife's toy) 22k miles
15 Acura RDX AWD Tech (Kona Coffee, mine) new
14 Honda Accord LX Sedan (Black, Son#1's) 15k miles
04 Mazda Tribute LX 4WD (Black, Son #2's) 114k miles
08 Mini Cooper Hatch (White, Son #3's) 122k miles
andysinnh is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 01-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
 
BenjiBoy650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 11,206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Just wait until it lights fully and try it again?
BenjiBoy650 is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 01-12-2006, 09:09 AM
3rd Gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to CometVR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by andysinnh
OK - Since the son is now driving the Accord more than I, while moving it in the driveway tonite I noticed the Maint Req'd light was flashing. Car has 8500 miles. Oil's been changed by me twice so far. As has been said here and in the owner's manual, you push the reset button, turn the ignition to On and hold the button for 10 secs or so, until the light goes out.

Tried this 5 different times and the light still blinks. I know I understand how to do this because I do it on the Pilot - but the Accord doesn't seem to like me. Any ideas?

thx- andy
It works if I push and hold it before I switch the ignition on

1998 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 6-Spd
2004 Acura TL Navi Satin Silver Metallic
1998 Honda Accord EX V6 Taffeta White 143K SOLD
CometVR4 is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 07-01-2014, 03:09 PM
My First Post
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My light still stays on... I changed my own oil last round and didnt reset the maintenance required light. Now since I have traveled over 7500 mi with it on can I get it to reset ever? Or is this more likely another issue that need resolving before this light will go out?
kalmondj is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 07-01-2014, 07:31 PM
WAR EAGLE!
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 52
Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to cwp587
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmondj View Post
My light still stays on... I changed my own oil last round and didnt reset the maintenance required light. Now since I have traveled over 7500 mi with it on can I get it to reset ever? Or is this more likely another issue that need resolving before this light will go out?
You must turn off the car. Then, hold down the button in the glass above your steering wheel, where your speedometer is at.

Then, while holding the button down, start the car. Continue holding down the button until the light turns off. It will take quite some time (up to 10 seconds). It will then reset. You have now reset your maintenance minder!

If you ever stop pressing the button down during the process, it will not work.

Good luck.

2005 Honda Accord EX-V6 Automatic 5-Speed
cwp587 is offline  
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome