k tuner base tune questions - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 12-29-2016, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Yea I modded my car again

Arrow k tuner base tune questions

Hey guys, so i finally got around to linking the Ktuner to my car (I got a POS Insignia tablet) so now i can run the software.

My question is. Is it ok to run the base tune if i have many more mods than the base tune.

The base tune is for intake, PCD and exhaust IIRC.

I have j37 manifold and tb, intake, hfpc, j pipe with no third cat, and magnaflow cbe.

will this not cause any issues ? or should i play it safe and wait for it to be tuned by a real tuner on the dyno?

08 EX-L V6/6
Performance : Ktuner, Fastline ss clutch line, P2R thermal gaskets, EBC green stuff, XLR8 ss brake lines, tsx rsb, HSD coilovers
Power : RV6 hfpc, XLR8 V2 j-pipe, Injen cai, Unorthodox pulley, Magnaflow cbe, tl sh awd tb, j37 manifold
Extras : Raceseng Sphereology shift knob, Tomei oil cap, red aluminum battery tie down, trailer hitch, interior illumination kit, gold oem style lug nuts, PIAA ion yellow, PIAA extreme white plus, Honda auto dim mirror, JDM red emblems
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-29-2016, 12:37 PM
pessimistic optimist

I would tend to think that running the base tune on your K-tuner is safer than driving around without a tune of any kind with all those mods. You have driven the car "untuned" for a little while and nothing has gone Kaboom! correct? The base tune should give you a taste of what the car will be capable of once you have it fully tuned on the dyno. Once you have flashed your ECU with the base tune, I believe you will want to start running higher octane fuel as well, just FYI

2008 EX sedan 2.4l, 3 pedals
Mods: Weapon R I Throttle, OE style lip spoiler, painted calipers, K&N drop in w/ resonator delete, Redline shift boot & armrest cover, Crosstour cluster, JDM style visors, retrofit headlights (morimoto h1 7.0)
J2 CBE, DIY 9th gen short shifter
Future: springs/struts, TL RSB (springtime)
The Following User Says Thank You to boring 08 EX For This Useful Post:
trl888 (12-30-2016)
post #3 of 24 Old 12-29-2016, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

oh yea thats for sure 91 octane is necessary or else it could damage the engine.

what they said at ktuner on the phone to me is that intakes (even name brand) have about a 5% variance between one from the other (identical intakes) and this could cause an issue he said but only at WOT when the car runs in open loop.

see im a frikin noob when it comes to this tuner computer stuff. so I am just trying to do my due diligence before dropping in the tune.

honestly though am just dying to get this new tune dropped into the car and also eliminate the throttle hang.

08 EX-L V6/6
Performance : Ktuner, Fastline ss clutch line, P2R thermal gaskets, EBC green stuff, XLR8 ss brake lines, tsx rsb, HSD coilovers
Power : RV6 hfpc, XLR8 V2 j-pipe, Injen cai, Unorthodox pulley, Magnaflow cbe, tl sh awd tb, j37 manifold
Extras : Raceseng Sphereology shift knob, Tomei oil cap, red aluminum battery tie down, trailer hitch, interior illumination kit, gold oem style lug nuts, PIAA ion yellow, PIAA extreme white plus, Honda auto dim mirror, JDM red emblems
post #4 of 24 Old 12-29-2016, 06:55 PM
pessimistic optimist

No harm in being cautious. My co-worker has a 16 V6 coupe which he has modded with RV6 entire catalog, he is waiting for his k-tuner to arrive so he can dyno tune. His is an automatic (boo hiss)

2008 EX sedan 2.4l, 3 pedals
Mods: Weapon R I Throttle, OE style lip spoiler, painted calipers, K&N drop in w/ resonator delete, Redline shift boot & armrest cover, Crosstour cluster, JDM style visors, retrofit headlights (morimoto h1 7.0)
J2 CBE, DIY 9th gen short shifter
Future: springs/struts, TL RSB (springtime)
post #5 of 24 Old 12-31-2016, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

I really am itching To try the base tune though, and also get rid of that dam throttle hang.

Can anyone who has done the base tune chime in and lemme know their experience plz?

08 EX-L V6/6
post #6 of 24 Old 01-06-2017, 07:04 PM
1st Gear

I have been running the base tune for a year now and all i have is an AEM intake and ATLP J-pipe. Have had no issues whatsoever. The rev hang is still present even with the base tune of the K-tuner. I've learned to live with it.
post #7 of 24 Old 01-06-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

I've done a fair share of reading up on the matter and watching videos along with playing with the software to see what it can do.

Basically what I have concluded is. Easiest thing to do right now is use the basetune but before installing it you can go into the parameters and change the Fuel cut settings parameter called, "overrun throttle compensation" from 100. To 0. To take it further you can go into the fuel cut parameters (which is on the same page) change them from 50 to 0 (or whatever your preference) to achieve the drive you are looking for.

08 EX-L V6/6
post #8 of 24 Old 01-10-2017, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Well I didn't like the way the insignia tablet was working. Really really slow. Me worried me that it could cause an issue when reflashing the ecu.

Yesterday I got a 2.1ghz Lenovo 11.6" laptop and it works really well.

I'll be doing the upload today. I'm soooooooo excited for the results.

08 EX-L V6/6
post #9 of 24 Old 01-10-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Dropped in the basetune with fuel cut to set at 20 for all gears and overrun throttle compensation set to 0.

Car definitely feels more alive.

Really happy right now folks.

I'll probably drop fuel cut to 0 for all gears to get it even more responsive.

08 EX-L V6/6
post #10 of 24 Old 01-10-2017, 06:44 PM
Search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boring 08 EX View Post
I would tend to think that running the base tune on your K-tuner is safer than driving around without a tune of any kind with all those mods. You have driven the car "untuned" for a little while and nothing has gone Kaboom! correct? The base tune should give you a taste of what the car will be capable of once you have it fully tuned on the dyno. Once you have flashed your ECU with the base tune, I believe you will want to start running higher octane fuel as well, just FYI
Why is higher octane fuel necessary? ELI5.

Honda Accord LX-P I4 2008
Polished Metal Metallic Sedan (GONE)

Honda Accord Touring V6 2017 Lunar Silver Sedan
post #11 of 24 Old 01-10-2017, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Higher octane 91+ means you can dial the timing in better and get more power.

08 EX-L V6/6
post #12 of 24 Old 01-10-2017, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

Thats good to hear you're enjoying like I am. I just can't wait to get an actual tune to make the car drive even better.
post #13 of 24 Old 01-11-2017, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Yea right after I dropped in the tune the idle was off for a while. After 20-30 mins of driving it's perfect again. Probably because of that bigger manifold and throttle body I have.

I'm gonna do a real tune in the coming months.

I wanna reflash to stock then dyno, then flash the base tune and dyno, then see the difference a real dyno tune will make. That would be very interesting tonow imho

08 EX-L V6/6
post #14 of 24 Old 01-11-2017, 09:35 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by listen to remix View Post
Why is higher octane fuel necessary? ELI5.
Internal combustion engine needs 3 things to run.
Air, Spark and Fuel.
Adding more timing (spark) has been the standby way to get more power out of internal combustion engines since they've existed. However, TOO much timing advance (Causing the spark to occur earlier) can cause 'spark knock' (also referred to as pre-ignition or detonation).

Running 91 octane is necessary for the Ktuner tune (and most all performance tunes) to keep this spark knock from occurring. MORE octane = MORE resistance to spark knock.

You won't hurt your engine running the Ktuner tune and NOT running 91 octane. The car is equipped with a knock sensor. This sensor "hears" spark knock and when too much is detected, this sensor reading causes the car's computer to RETARD (reduce) timing.

While you won't hurt your engine, you will likely LOSE power over the stock tune, when and if the knock sensor causes the car's computer to retard timing advance (spark).
post #15 of 24 Old 01-11-2017, 10:01 AM
1st Gear

Anecdotally, these cars will ping under any load when running 87 on a ktuner base tune. I would recommend avoiding anything under 91 on a base tune and flashing back to the stock tune if 87 is put in the tank.

Setting fuel cut under 20 can make the revs drop arguably too quickly, sort of the opposite problem from rev hang.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.