Help me reach goal of 5 second v6 auto? - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 04-16-2017, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Help me reach goal of 5 second v6 auto?

For my first car, Im quite content with my 8th gen. As I got it , I was looking forward to turning this thing into my personal money pit devoted to modding. However, digging around for peformance mods for the car after the fact has proven frustarating.

Besides the 5 speed, the vcm sucks (Polite way of putting it) The lag when going from eco to using all cylinders is extremely annoying, and this is probably the deterrent for bolt on turbo or supercharger kits for this generation, Hopefully the vcm muzzler I ordered can alleviate this, along with an ecu reflash. And fwd, but If I cared about that I wouldn't have bought the honda and gotten a beemer.

But to the topic at hand, what does the rest of the forum think is neccesary in terms of mods to make this sedan a mid 5 second car. I understand the reasons for possible anymosity, but any help is greatly appreciated. Currently stock with a vcm muzzler coming on the way and possibly toyo summer peformance tires.

Last edited by RickBlaine; 04-16-2017 at 08:00 PM. Reason: swearing
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 04-16-2017, 07:39 PM
VTEC just kicked in.

Let's take a look here where ctandc and his souped-up 6-6 does an 1/8 mile in the 8s. He's currently looking for a 1/4 mile in the 12s.

So, please, tell us again what your goal for the V6 5AT is?

You might be able to pull off a mid-5 second 0-60... if that.

'08 EX-L V6 Sedan
  • P2R Intake Manifold Spacer
  • Intake Resonator Delete
  • VCMTuner
  • JL 8W1 <=> Kicker CX300.1
  • Alpine KTP-445U
The Following User Says Thank You to WILLYumD For This Useful Post:
JP_8thgen (04-16-2017)
post #3 of 41 Old 04-16-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLYumD View Post
Let's take a look here where ctandc and his souped-up 6-6 does an 1/8 mile in the 8s. He's currently looking for a 1/4 mile in the 12s.

So, please, tell us again what your goal for the V6 5AT is?

You might be able to pull off a mid-5 second 0-60... if that.
TBH, 13.4 is pretty low, directly comparable to a 335i. And I know an auto will ever break sub-13, but thats ok.
My best 0-60 after about 5-10 runs total was 6.37, bone stock, which would translate to about somewhere in a 15 second quarter.
Plus assuming whp on a stock auto is about 215, bolt ons like pcds and throttle body spacers and posibbly more should put on considerable gains. K-tuned afterwards could put on 240 whp, right? I could be overestimating the potency of ecu reflashing, but I think the potential is there.

post #4 of 41 Old 04-16-2017, 10:42 PM
又一位第八代雅阁双门车主

Garage
I believe someone here did a couple of mods on their V6 AT, and basically made it so it goes as fast as a 6/6, so mid-5 0-60 pull is doable. A search in the forum should find the thread.

I would say the biggest difference will come from tuning it. Just something like a 93 tune and VCM disable can do wonders. If you can get intake and exhaust of high airflow and tune the engine to utilize it, it will also help.

And don't forget basic maintenance. That should come before everything.

However, do remember the automatic transmission isn't the greatest platform to mod on, but I guess since you have a V6 Sedan, you can only have the slushbox. There are things you can mod, like tuning, and there are things you can't, like the gear ratio. The less aggressive gearing(the 1st gear on an AT is something like 2.8, while the 6/6 has a 1st gear ratio of 3.9) on the V6 AT already puts it at a huge gearing disadvantage. The slower shifting of an auto will also affect the performance. Another thing will be the VTEC - V6 AT doesn't have the performance VTEC(so no "VTEC kicked in, yo!") unlike the 6/6. Not saying you can't make it faster, but I think ultimately, the slushbox will be your bottleneck.
Baldeagle likes this.

My first car!

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM

Mods and such things:

AFE Pro Dry S drop-in filter
HFP body kit
RGR-16D HFP Alloy Wheels
i-VTEC & 3.5 stickers
High and Low beams - Philips CrystalVision Ultra
Front turn signals - HV 6000K white/amber switchback
Rear lights - Philips Vision LEDs
Interior LEDs
Crosstour shift knob
OEM footwell lights
and more!

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT
post #5 of 41 Old 04-17-2017, 03:18 AM
Mechanical Stig

5 second 1/4 mile or 0-60?

If 0-60, full bolt ons and a proper dyno tune will make it happen. There is a '13 accord A/T with full bolt ons/dyno tune and its running 4.3 0-60. No kidding.

1/4 mile...I don't know about that. A twin turbo VQ35 ran a 6 second 1/4 mile, I doubt the J35 can break that record.

2017 Honda Odyssey TE - OEM Footwell LED Mod - Rear LED Reflectors -
2017 Honda Accord EX-L
2014 Honda Civic EX-L
2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L (USDM AF!) VCMuzzler - Catless Downpipe/Pre Cat Deletes - Third Cat Delete - Custom K&N SRI With Cold Air Scoop - TB Coolant Bypass - Thermal Gaskets - BC Coilovers - Dyno Tuned
post #6 of 41 Old 04-17-2017, 03:25 AM
Mechanical Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I believe someone here did a couple of mods on their V6 AT, and basically made it so it goes as fast as a 6/6, so mid-5 0-60 pull is doable. A search in the forum should find the thread.

I would say the biggest difference will come from tuning it. Just something like a 93 tune and VCM disable can do wonders. If you can get intake and exhaust of high airflow and tune the engine to utilize it, it will also help.

And don't forget basic maintenance. That should come before everything.

However, do remember the automatic transmission isn't the greatest platform to mod on, but I guess since you have a V6 Sedan, you can only have the slushbox. There are things you can mod, like tuning, and there are things you can't, like the gear ratio. The less aggressive gearing(the 1st gear on an AT is something like 2.8, while the 6/6 has a 1st gear ratio of 3.9) on the V6 AT already puts it at a huge gearing disadvantage. The slower shifting of an auto will also affect the performance. Another thing will be the VTEC - V6 AT doesn't have the performance VTEC(so no "VTEC kicked in, yo!") unlike the 6/6. Not saying you can't make it faster, but I think ultimately, the slushbox will be your bottleneck.
I just saw a post yesterday on Ktuner's FB, they went deeper inside the ECU and somehow made the auto trans shift very smoothly and faster somehow. Soon there will be options to play with the trans with Ktuner. That was on the 9th gen btw. You're right with the VTEC, its rather VCMtec lol.

2017 Honda Accord EX-L
2014 Honda Civic EX-L
2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L (USDM AF!) VCMuzzler - Catless Downpipe/Pre Cat Deletes - Third Cat Delete - Custom K&N SRI With Cold Air Scoop - TB Coolant Bypass - Thermal Gaskets - BC Coilovers - Dyno Tuned
post #7 of 41 Old 04-17-2017, 03:43 AM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
You can't compare a Honda to a BMW.

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 168k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
post #8 of 41 Old 04-17-2017, 03:57 AM
Yea I modded my car again

auto accord ran 4.3 0-60!?

ummm. wtf was under the hood? a rocket?

seriously though, running a 5 second 0-60 aint gonna be easy. You are better off getting a car that is fast to start with and take it from there. I wouldn't trust the accord auto trans anyways. I've yet to see an auto honda/acura transmission that can take a consistent beating without frying the clutches at some point.

putting all that money into the accord just doesn't seem like the best thing to do IMHO. If it was a manual then that's a different story. Or if you really don't care about roasting your transmission then go for it lol

08 EX-L V6/6
Performance : Ktuner, Fastline ss clutch line, Fastline powerlinks, P2R thermal gaskets, EBC green stuff, XLR8 ss brake lines, Progress 22mm rsb, HSD coilovers, Blox 15mm rear spacers,
Power : RV6 hfpc, XLR8 V2 j-pipe, Injen cai, Unorthodox stock sized pulley, Magnaflow cbe, tl sh awd tb, j37 manifold
post #9 of 41 Old 04-17-2017, 04:07 AM
Mechanical Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 v6/6 View Post
auto accord ran 4.3 0-60!?

ummm. wtf was under the hood? a rocket?

seriously though, running a 5 second 0-60 aint gonna be easy. You are better off getting a car that is fast to start with and take it from there. I wouldn't trust the accord auto trans anyways. I've yet to see an auto honda/acura transmission that can take a consistent beating without frying the clutches at some point.

putting all that money into the accord just doesn't seem like the best thing to do IMHO. If it was a manual then that's a different story. Or if you really don't care about roasting your transmission then go for it lol
The owner dailys it and has 100k+ miles on it. He always takes it to mexico and beats the living crap out of it.

His tuner is one of the best tuners out there. He made 278 WHP on the accord with 30+ MPGs. I also got my van tuned by him.

2017 Honda Accord EX-L
2014 Honda Civic EX-L
post #10 of 41 Old 04-17-2017, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRangerZr1 View Post
The owner dailys it and has 100k+ miles on it. He always takes it to mexico and beats the living crap out of it.

His tuner is one of the best tuners out there. He made 278 WHP on the accord with 30+ MPGs. I also got my van tuned by him.
Once again, thanks for all the replies everyone . I figured the gear ratios for the 5 speed were one of the worst deterrents to the acceleration. However if tuning it has made the shifting that much smoother for this guy, then surely gains will pile on after throttle mody spacers and possibly headers. Ive been reading swapping with the tl's parts puts on some numbers. And also, i know what Pre catalytic deletes are, but could someone explain how this helps the performance? And how much gains are from this paired with an rv6 j-pipe?

And to clarify, 5 second 0-60 is the goal, so probably a low to mid 14 1/4. My direct competitor I guess you could say is to compete with a lancer ralliart (09+) or the turbo 328i. I originally wanted the lancer but wanted to mod my way to these numbers and overcome the "wrong wheel drive". Plus for everyone one lancer in the us there was 20 accords within 100 miles near me so that helped the decision.
post #11 of 41 Old 04-18-2017, 11:44 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP_8thgen View Post
But to the topic at hand, what does the rest of the forum think is neccesary in terms of mods to make this sedan a mid 5 second car. I understand the reasons for possible anymosity, but any help is greatly appreciated. Currently stock with a vcm muzzler coming on the way and possibly toyo summer peformance tires.
I know the journey is more important than the destination and I hope you enjoy tinkering with your car. But suggest you keep your expectations realistic. You’ll be lucky to get your V6-sedan down to 6.1 seconds to 60 mph.

I hope you know your V6 Sedan has a different engine than the V6 engine used in the 6MT Accords. Your sedan uses a “non-performance” engine. The 6MT-V6 has true “dual-lobe” VTEC and yours does not. Your engine uses a single lobe cam which means there is no VTEC to “kick-in.” That is one reason it has less power off the line AND less rip at high rpm.

That’s not to say you can’t have fun making it faster. But I suspect anything close to the mid-5 second range to 60 mph will simply not happen.

My suggestion for first-round mods:

• 18-19 lbs. OEM 16” wheels with light weight tires - HUGE reduction in rotational inertia
• Underdrive lightweight pulley - they work!
• Drop-in panel air filter - keep your stock air box. It is better for low-rpm torque and that is what your auto needs.
• Ktuner – the base program provides a good boost to low-rpm torque, but obviously requires premium fuel.

For 0-60 runs, I would avoid exhaust mods and intake manifold mods because they will shift power up the rpm curve and make your car more of a dog off the line. For quarter mile runs that may take you above 95 mph, exhaust and manifolds mods are okay. But that is because a quarter-mile run gives you the time and distance required to make up for what you lose off the line. You won’t get that time/distance with 0-60 runs. Most of that will happen in first gear. Do things to manage torque, not HP.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
The Following User Says Thank You to Baldeagle For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (04-18-2017)
post #12 of 41 Old 04-18-2017, 01:04 PM
6th Gear

Easy to do... just don't follow the 6-6 guys. Look at my list, and upgrade to 3.7L TB. Once you go that far, light wheels and meaty sticky tires. Then learn to launch.
So far nobody here boasts a .007 average reaction time. So it seems to me a lot put too much hassle into hard launches.

The trick with the VCM engine is low end torque, as 2nd gear requires it once you pull out of 1st. Or hit red line hard when shifting. You are not going to break an engine as long as RPM does not stay too long in the top end.

I never have to use a VCM disabler and keep VSA enabled. Learning how to launch with enough wheel spin and not tripping VSA to hinder engine, will be faster than hitting the throttle wide open. You'll be high 5s but that is it until you add 100 hp NOS wet injection. Bpearl had it going on even with out the 3.7L upgraded intake manifold.

Until guys here start talking torque instead of HP, they won't help much with your needs.

If you have hesitation then there is something wrong with your VCM engine. I have no hesitation and plenty of power to keep up with a manual though once I am in the top end of 2nd their extra gear spread will pull away. Can't help it without NOS or some serious engine mods, like a cam and stroking.

Automatics eat torque and there is no getting around it.

Certified 2009 EX-L Coupe - VCM - PMM
Paid $21,500 cash on 01/11

MPG: 22 City / 32 Hwy @ 75MPH
0w-20 cap
3.7L TL-SHAWD IM - Functional
65w H9 Lo & Fog / 80w HB3 Hi
Cargo hooks & net
Crosstour knob
Duralast Platinum 24F
I4 hood rod
MDX spacer & ported
Moded OEM CAI
Mobil 1 0w-20 & M1-110
NAPA #18514
Odyssey garnish - Flush fit
Painted splash guards
PXAMG & HDRT
Rear: Center Belt, head rests & ANC delete
Service Grade Electricals
Test Pipe
Window UP mod
Valvoline Type VI
post #13 of 41 Old 04-18-2017, 07:23 PM
1st Gear

If you've seen my posts, you'd know that I have a V6 Auto Sedan with most of the mods and I still push 0-60 in over 6s.

Ktuner
Takeda SRI
J37 IM
J37 TB
RV6 HFPC
ATLP Jpipe w/ 3rd cat delete
Magnaflow CBE

Don't mod the 8th gen auto. It's not worth the gains. 9th gen auto v6 reacts much better to the same mods.

0-80 with Magnaflow CBE,Ktuner, and Takeda SRI:
0-80 with all the other mods:

As you can see, these bolt didn't really do much for the auto v6.
Baldeagle, WILLYumD and JP_8thgen like this.
post #14 of 41 Old 04-18-2017, 10:13 PM
VTEC just kicked in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sedan View Post
If you've seen my posts, you'd know that I have a V6 Auto Sedan with most of the mods and I still push 0-60 in over 6s.
That's like $2500 in parts... That is truly disheartening, RIP your wallet!

'08 EX-L V6 Sedan
  • P2R Intake Manifold Spacer
  • Intake Resonator Delete
  • VCMTuner
  • JL 8W1 <=> Kicker CX300.1
  • Alpine KTP-445U
post #15 of 41 Old 04-19-2017, 03:00 AM
Out of Control

And for those caught up on a 1/10nth of a second, remember that 60 mph on the speedometer ain't actually 60 mph. Its more like 59. To actually time 0-60 you need to time 0-61 on your speedometer and that will add another 1/10nth or so. On the track those fractions of second will make a difference. But in the street? Not so much. If that 1/10nth really matters, drive around with your gas tank only 1/3 full. That weight reduction will amount to that 10nth.

And also for the record, by my stop watch this stock 9th gen V6 Sedan needed 6.3 seconds to hit 60 mph. Its not THAT much faster than an 8th gen V6 Sedan.

This 9th gen V6-6AT Coupe needed about 6.1 seconds:

This 9th gen V6-6AT Coupe needed about 5.9 seconds:

Magazines (expectations) and real life can be different.

Also, with HEAVY mods, this 9th gen 6-6 is about 5.6 seconds to 60 mph.

Hitting the mid-5 second range in real life is not easy.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.