Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

RV6 Jpipe

24K views 105 replies 19 participants last post by  OneWickedAccord 
#1 ·
So I want to get the RV6 Jpipe to add to my PCD. Wondering if anyone has a sound clip of those two parts together.
Thanks!

#14 ·
I don't have a video at the moment, and my car is currently in the shop getting a bumper repaint. I have the PCD with the two Vibrant resonators and stock exhaust, and it sounds great. Essentially just take the grunt of the Takeda intake (assuming you have one) and add a bit of a deeper growl to it and thats what it sounds like.

The PCDs/HFPCs and the Jpipe are all bolt-ons, you will have to get the resonators welded on after they cut out your existing resonator.

#15 ·
HFPC and J-pipe is raspy with OEM exhaust. PCD and J-pipe is VERY raspy with OEM exhaust. Either route you go you'll need to upgrade resonators if you don't want your car to sound like poopoo.

#16 ·
Any thoughts on running stock cats with jpipe? With or without borla/stock?

#23 ·
I was worried that it was going to be bad.. I'm going to wait on the jpipe till RV6 releases a cat back exhaust to sound good with this set up. Thanks for the update!

#24 ·
Dang I was also basing my purchases off the TL forums with the Jpipe/HFPC setup. I have the HFPC w/stock exhaust, but might have to sit on the jpipes until I get some resonators ordered.

LEDF150 it sounds like you went back to the borla axle backs would you mind sharing a quick sound clip of the rasp?

thanks all

#25 ·
My guess is because the Accords only have a single resonator in the midpipe and not a resonator/mid-muffler combination like the TLs used to have. I feel really dumb that I didn't look into this beforehand.

Accord

TL

We likely have to replace our stock resonator with something massive to get to a similar resonator/midmuffler arrangement. The best we can do while keeping the stock hangar in place is likely the Magnaflow 12646:

I wish we could put a smaller resonator after our stock resonator, but it doesn't look like there's much room to work with back there.

#26 ·
I have sound clips of the borla+HFPCs+j-pipe. The rasp is not as noticeable with the Borla probably because the exhaust note is loud at WOT. I was always going to stick with the Borla just figured I'd throw the stock on to see how it sounds since people wanted to hear it. I originally had the Takeda cat back on my car so I'm reinstalling that midpipe instead of stock. Hopefully this resonator is enough to take care of the rasp or I may add something else.

#30 ·
Definitely sounds better with the Takeda mid-pipe. I think I'm going to see what other people are doing for resonators before I do anything else. Interested to hear how your's works out. You will definitely need that resonator. I may just drive the car as is and look into the rv6 cat back that others have mentioned if/when it comes out.

#28 ·
What's the stock exhaust size? I doubt it's 2.5" and would recommend either 2.25" or 2". I know my stock catback is less than 2", and I can't see the 9G being any larger than 2.25".

#33 ·
Have you looked into these?

3 Disk Insert : 2 1/2" Diameter

They were originally designed for race cars running straight headers, where surrounding city / county noise ordinances (near the drag strip) were threatening some tracks.

I've seen them used on a small block chevy with straight headers, and the noise / drone was greatly reduced and E.T was not effected whatsoever.

Also I've seen a bunch of guys back when I was building / driving a lot of high strung small blocks use what is called a "wave resonator".

See this thread:

How to build an exhaust resonator tube to eliminate drone - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

If I remember correctly the OEM S2K had one from the factory.

#34 ·
Depending on the diameter of the stock piping, either the 2.25" version or the 2.5" version of this is an option between the J Pipe flange and the stock resonator. Only 10" long resonator length--it should be possible to fit that in there.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1022_1033_1055&products_id=46

Basically can anyone get some measurements for us? There are two locations to put resonators--between the J pipe flange and the midpipe hangar, and right before the axle back flange. I would totally do this but I dont have a jack or a lift. We need:

1) STOCK MIDPIPE DIAMETER both between the j pipe flange and the hangar, as well as right before the axle back flange (I think it's different)
2) The length of piping between the J pipe flange and the midpipe hangar
3) The length of straight piping before the axle back flange.
4) How much room is there (diameter wise) in the exhaust tunner before the stock resonator, and how much room is there right before the axle back.

This post has been deleted
#40 ·
I installed the jpipe the other day. Clean power through the RPM band, but it is raspy @2700k+ RPM with the OEM exhaust system.... Today I installed the vibrant 1140 before the OEM resonator. This isn't a good fit unless you notch out the cross bar a little, which we ended up doing or you angle it vertically. I'm just doing this until the rv6 mid-pipe comes out, but I'm not seeing that piece flex that much or rattle. The 1140 cleared up about 85%-90% of the rasp and I now only hear it very briefly through the 3000K-4K range. Other than that it has a deep note.

Here are some videos I took on my phone. Quality isn't the best, since I took them quickly after work.

14 V6 SEDAN AT
ktune vitviper tuned, hfpc, jpipe, takeda sri, vibrant 1140

Bad video due to using a rock to prop the camera
View My Video

It's windy outside
View My Video

I was listening for how bad the rasp was in my parking garage
View My Video

#41 ·
My Jpipe has arrived and I hope to install it this weekend.
Only exhaust mods I have is the Borla

#43 ·
Yes with a 1140 and OEM resonator. It was really windy yesterday when hen it calms down i'll get a buddy to hold the camera for a drive by.

I have some clips in-car videos with just the OEM resonator. It's not the best due quality to the wind, but you can get an idea. I had one outside, but I must have deleted it. Hopefully, someone has some better footage outside.

View My Video

#45 ·
Here are my results from upgrading to a Walker UltraFlo SS resonator, 16" case length by 6" diameter (replaced bottle-style unit on Takeda midpipe). Fits perfectly in stock resonator location but I lost quite a bit of ground clearance.

Adding J-pipe to my setup had made it crazy loud and super raspy (3-4k rpm). Switching to this larger resonator make my exhaust much quieter overall than it had ever been (even with the stock j-pipe), but the rasp/resonance is still there around 3.5k-4k rpm, and it's rather unpleasant sounding.

Here's a revving video.

Sounds pretty decent in revving, but during driving my car is super quiet below 3.2k and then gets WAY louder when the rasp/resonance kicks in at the aforementioned rpm. I'll be making a driving video at some point too so you guys can hear what I'm talking about.

I'm speculating that a smaller diameter resonator that is much longer might do a better job of hitting that midrange resonance we're all grappling with.

#46 ·
Here are my results from upgrading to a Walker UltraFlo SS resonator, 16" case length by 6" diameter (replaced bottle-style unit on Takeda midpipe). Fits perfectly in stock resonator location but I lost quite a bit of ground clearance.

Adding J-pipe to my setup had made it crazy loud and super raspy (3-4k rpm). Switching to this larger resonator make my exhaust much quieter overall than it had ever been (even with the stock j-pipe), but the rasp/resonance is still there around 3.5k-4k rpm, and it's rather unpleasant sounding.

Here's a revving video. www.youtube.com/watch?v=17A2sitqmyU

Sounds pretty decent in revving, but during driving my car is super quiet below 3.2k and then gets WAY louder when the rasp/resonance kicks in at the aforementioned rpm. I'll be making a driving video at some point too so you guys can hear what I'm talking about.

I'm speculating that a smaller diameter resonator that is much longer might do a better job of hitting that midrange resonance we're all grappling with.
You might want to try adding a vibrant bottle resonator or magnaflow 4" diameter resonator to your midpipe between the hangar and j pipe flange.

#47 ·
Here are some better videos w/o so much wind. Anything under 3K car sounds pretty stock. I could prob get rid of the remaining resonance by adding in a vibrant 1790 and adding it right before the ab flange, but I think i'll wait after my updated tune to see if it increases.

0-60 up, 0-50 back
View My Video

Short in car compared to other video from yesterday w/o res
View My Video

Revs not as much wind from yesterday
View My Video

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.