Out of Control
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Central NJ
Thanked 535 Times in 413 Posts
On the subject of durability and reliability, Audi/VW has used their 2.0T for over a decade. Aside from the DI carbon problems, the engine themselves have held together extremely well. When I owned my GTI, many of the people on that forum went nuts increasing power, (ECU changes to increase boost, larger K04 turbos, larger intakes, larger exhaust, larger intercooler, etc.).
Even the most aggressive members made similar comments about driving style. 95% of the time they drove easily under low to no boost, but the other 5% of the time they beat the heck out of the car: a stupid race (common discussions on that forum), entering a highway, passing a slow car on a two lane road. The point was that the extreme turbo-heat was short lived. It was a surge of 5 to maybe 15 seconds. Most of the time the turbo remained relatively cool. In the non-enthusiast world of Honda I’m sure that will be case too, even more so if this will be a lower pressure turbo. I would not make any assumptions that reliability will decrease.
2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)