No V6 for 2018 Accord. No word on CVT - Page 25 - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 164Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #361 of 437 Old 01-10-2017, 09:17 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdistan View Post
Are they really that desperate for a V6 to switch over to a camry? Especially this new fugly ass camry? (Exception being the interior even though have yet to see it in person...)
Look at it this way. I don't really care about the V6 all that much but I do care about manual transmissions. If Honda announced tomorrow that all of their cars would be CVT only, I'd jump ship as soon as I need a new car.*I assume the V6 guys have the same mentality.

Baldeagle, UNLTD1487 and Merc6 like this.

2013 Accord Coupe EX
I4 6MT
Crystal Black Pearl
38K miles as of January 2017
Hoping to hit 300,000 one day!
Advertisement

post #362 of 437 Old 01-10-2017, 10:15 PM
3rd Gear

I wouldn't call myself a "V6" guy, I would look over my choices, weigh my options and make a decision.

2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6 (current)

Past cars
2002 Acura TL-S 206K
1996 Nissan Maxima SE 5-Spd 110K
1980 Volvo 242 GT 425K
post #363 of 437 Old 01-10-2017, 10:47 PM
3rd Gear

Garage
Unless my 17 gave me hell the 3 years of lease, I'm most likely gonna hold on to it vs upgrade to another lease if manual is axed. Manual is how even ended up with a Honda Accord as the others have no such thing in this class.

2017 San Marino Red Honda Accord Sport 6MT (DD)
2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car)
post #364 of 437 Old 01-11-2017, 06:54 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc6 View Post
Unless my 17 gave me hell the 3 years of lease, I'm most likely gonna hold on to it vs upgrade to another lease if manual is axed. Manual is how even ended up with a Honda Accord as the others have no such thing in this class.
I noticed another pet peeve on my auto transmission, at 1,500 RPM on a slightly uphill road, the engine hesitates and felt so powerless and I have to push the gas pedal harder to make it downshift.

With m/t, I could have just locked in the more sensible higher gear.

Wish I can do m/t for my next car but none of household members care to drive one. Will go with electric instead.
Merc6 likes this.

2011 Accord Coupe I4 5 A/T
post #365 of 437 Old 01-11-2017, 06:57 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by czelaya View Post
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but the Honda Odyssey is getting a Honda made 10-speed automatic that I'm sure is going to be more responsive and smoother than the ZF 9-speed. The J35, the engine so many people say it outdated, is getting direct injection and bumping up the horsepower to 280 and still decimates the majority of V6 engines in its class.

Imagine this: the next 2018 Honda Accord with the 10-speed automatic and just a more messaged version of the J35 with direct injection, an increased redline to 7300r.p.m., an compression ratio of 11.0:1, less restrictive exhaust, and larger air inlets. These improvement alone could easily push the engine past 305 horsepower easily and it's with components within Honda's product line. Honda could have a V6 coupe that could compete again the V6 coupes from Chevrolet and Ford... wake up... wake up... it's not the 90's anymore... Honda:Not the power of dreams... the source of dreams...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH-iLkYoRj0&t=91s
There is no minivan in the Acura line up but there is the ILX and TLX so the Accord will likely not get the 10-speed unless competition in its class bumps technology two or three notches up and Honda will have to upgrade technology across the Honda line up.

post #366 of 437 Old 01-11-2017, 07:37 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
Do we know the performance figures of the new direct injected Camry V6 yet?
Hi Markus, sorry for not responding sooner. Obviously we do not have any real performance numbers yet. However according to C&D the current Camry with a 268 hp engine mated to a 6AT is 5.8 seconds to 60 mph with a 14.3 second quarter at 100 mph.

2015 Toyota Camry XSE V-6 Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

If the next gen Camry gets the same 296 hp port/direct injected engine mated to an 8AT as used in the Sienna, my guess is that it should be in the mid five-second range to 60 mph and trap at over 102 mph, perhaps even quicker. Regardless, it must be quicker than the current Camry which is already pretty fast. The Camry is going up in power while the Accord is going down (most likely).
UNLTD1487 likes this.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
The Following User Says Thank You to Baldeagle For This Useful Post:
UNLTD1487 (01-11-2017)
post #367 of 437 Old 01-11-2017, 07:57 AM
Reverse Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
Hi Markus, sorry for not responding sooner. Obviously we do not have any real performance numbers yet. However according to C&D the current Camry with a 268 hp engine mated to a 6AT is 5.8 seconds to 60 mph with a 14.3 second quarter at 100 mph.

2015 Toyota Camry XSE V-6 Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

If the next gen Camry gets the same 296 hp port/direct injected engine mated to an 8AT as used in the Sienna, my guess is that it should be in the mid five-second range to 60 mph and trap at over 102 mph, perhaps even quicker. Regardless, it must be quicker than the current Camry which is already pretty fast. The Camry is going up in power while the Accord is going down (most likely).
I don't expect the new Camry to do much better in the 0-60 timings even with the boost in output. Maybe the 1/4 mile times will go down a few tenths. Mid 5 second 0-60 times for front drive non-performance sedans is probably the limit. To get better numbers, LSD or AWD would more beneficial than a modest bump in power at this point.
Baldeagle and UNLTD1487 like this.

2007 Accord LX-SE 4d 5spd MT Graphite Pearl (was his, now son's)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT Crystal Black Pearl/Ivory (His)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT White Orchid Pearl/Ivory (Hers)

Previous Rides
1993 Buick Regal 3.8
1992 Acura Legend LS 4D 5MT
1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4AT
1986 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT
1981 Saab 900 Turbo 4D 3AT "The money pit" $5K+ in repairs in 2 years
1976 Volvo 242DL 3AT "The Vault"
1976 Toyota Corona 4D 3AT "The Oven" black vinyl interior and no A/C
The Following User Says Thank You to BenzAccord For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (01-11-2017)
post #368 of 437 Old 01-11-2017, 08:19 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzAccord View Post
I don't expect the new Camry to do much better in the 0-60 timings even with the boost in output. Maybe the 1/4 mile times will go down a few tenths. Mid 5 second 0-60 times for front drive non-performance sedans is probably the limit. To get better numbers, LSD or AWD would more beneficial than a modest bump in power at this point.
Does it make sense to get AWD in an electric car, barring budget concerns, then?

post #369 of 437 Old 01-11-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Out of Control

FWIW mid 5s is dam fast for a FWD "grocery getter".

I'm likely going Legacy in 17 months (won't rule out an AWD Genesis) when the S60 lease is up so I don't have a dog in the 0-60 hunt at least as far as the Legacy is concerned. The 4cyl is competitive but their F6 lost 1.5 sec to 60 when they hooked it up to the CVT. I'd get the 4, their 6 is only "so so". I'd like to consider Camry but that thig is like Jake from State farm: hideous.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #370 of 437 Old 01-11-2017, 11:58 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by internalaudit View Post
Does it make sense to get AWD in an electric car, barring budget concerns, then?

Always wondered why hybrids don't have a fwd IC engine plus battery powered rear wheels.
post #371 of 437 Old 01-12-2017, 12:51 AM
3rd Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton View Post
Always wondered why hybrids don't have a fwd IC engine plus battery powered rear wheels.
BMW i8 kinda does the opposite of that.

2017 San Marino Red Honda Accord Sport 6MT (DD)
2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car)
post #372 of 437 Old 01-12-2017, 05:06 AM
又一位第八代雅阁双门车主

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalaudit View Post
Tesla is already doing this. I think it's reasonable to assume that higher trim Model 3s have AWD options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
I'd like to consider Camry but that thig is like Jake from State farm: hideous.
I just really like Coupes. It's simply impossible to compare a Coupe and a Sedan's look. Coupes will always win hands down. For that reason, I looked away from Toyota. The only Coupe Toyota has is 86(which was actually Scion FR-S), but that's a Miata car, with an I4, RWD, smaller size and limited practical uses, so it's not comparable to Accord or even Civic Coupes with their FWD setups and more practical designs.

Same reason I am not very hyped about Teslas. The only design I really enjoy is their Roadster, but there is only 1000 of those in the entire world, so... Wish they bring it back or do something similar to it in the future for the rich blokes out there who love supercars. Wish they can make a Coupe body styled electric car. Until then, I will continue to see Teslas as luxury commute cars, rather than actual performance cars.

Quote:
Just making an educated guess here, but I will bet that's due to the different torque and power output characteristics of an ICE and an electric motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc6 View Post
BMW i8 kinda does the opposite of that.
I have seen some rich bloke driving that in my uni. Those cars are pretty expensive, man. While I like Coupes, supercars are just too impractical. Too expensive to maintain, gets too much unnecessary attention, and you can't really unleash their full power in most driving conditions anyways. Also, I still end up carrying more than 2 people sometimes, so I still prefer a Coupe with back seats.

I'd love to see is how the i8 does against R8. Both are German cars and are in similar price range.

My first car!

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT+VCM PMM

Mods and such things:

AFE Pro Dry S drop-in filter
HFP body kit
RGR-16D HFP Alloy Wheels
i-VTEC & 3.5 stickers(+10 HP each)(JKLOL)
High and Low beams - Philips CrystalVision Ultra
Front turn signals - HV 6000K white/amber switchback
Rear lights - Philips Vision LEDs
Interior LEDs
Crosstour shift knob
OEM footwell lights
Dash cover
Dash kit trim(upcoming)
Wheelskins steering wheel cover
post #373 of 437 Old 01-12-2017, 06:31 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
I think our RAV4 Hybrid AWD is like that but of course, it's AWD.

post #374 of 437 Old 01-12-2017, 06:33 AM
5th Gear

To UnknownJinX, Tesla will be coming up with a new roadster, don't ask me for links but I did read up on that somewhere.

post #375 of 437 Old 01-12-2017, 07:01 AM
Your Maintenance Minder

Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
I'm likely going Legacy in 17 months (won't rule out an AWD Genesis)
WHAT?!?!

Nice on paper but are you going to set up automatic recurring repair appointments with the service department or just wing it during its 24 month life span?

Rather surprised to read this from you....

("Hope" is not a maintenance plan!)

internalaudit likes this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.