2018 Competitor: New Toyota Camry has V6, maybe new Accord too? - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 116Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 248 Old 01-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordULEV View Post
{snip} 10 speed automatics = unreal. Is that not trying to break into CVT territory without actually using a CVT? {snip}
No. The 10-speed will be a more capable transmission in two respects.

The 10-speed offers a greater ratio spread than the current CVT, and this translates into shorter gears for better acceleration and taller gears for fuel economy.

Plus, the 10-speed has a much higher torque capacity for a given space than the CVT.

Baldeagle and UNLTD1487 like this.

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM
The Following User Says Thank You to Graycar For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (01-11-2017)
Advertisement

post #17 of 248 Old 01-09-2017, 05:04 PM
5th Gear

I think it looks pretty good.

10 speed. It's not just for bicycles anymore.

Baldeagle and UNLTD1487 like this.
post #18 of 248 Old 01-09-2017, 05:06 PM
4th Gear

For a second I thought I was looking at a KIA Optima.

This might explain why Toyota is offering such big discounts on Camrys right now. If the Camry is good and Honda goes all in on Turbos it could be bad for one of them. Lets see how Honda handles this.
UNLTD1487 likes this.

2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6 (current)

Past cars
2002 Acura TL-S 206K
1996 Nissan Maxima SE 5-Spd 110K
1980 Volvo 242 GT 425K

Other Hondas in family
2000 Accord EX-L V6 (mom's) 99.6K

post #19 of 248 Old 01-09-2017, 05:51 PM
2nd Gear

I was considering going after a leftover '17 Touring, since I love my '14 EX-L V6 so much. After seeing the new Camry with its V6 option, I don't feel the need to settle for Honda technology that is essentially 5 years old when I can own a brand new Camry XLE V6 whenever I'm ready. If Honda surprises us and keeps the V6, then that changes the story for me.
UNLTD1487 likes this.

2017 Accord Sedan EX-L V6
Modern Steel Metallic
post #20 of 248 Old 01-09-2017, 06:59 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris322 View Post
I was considering going after a leftover '17 Touring, since I love my '14 EX-L V6 so much. After seeing the new Camry with its V6 option, I don't feel the need to settle for Honda technology that is essentially 5 years old when I can own a brand new Camry XLE V6 whenever I'm ready. If Honda surprises us and keeps the V6, then that changes the story for me.
Same here. I was thinking about the left over 2017 Accord EX-L's if Honda drops the V6 for 2018. But now that Toyota releases this, my whole game plan changes. It's hard to ignore Toyota. I have always thought Camry's were decent but this 2018 model might just push me over the edge and convince me to get it to replace my decade old, 2007 Honda Accord.

Gotta love company competitions.

I might just jump ship when I buy a new car this year. The card is in your hands, Honda.
chris322 likes this.
post #21 of 248 Old 01-09-2017, 07:09 PM
又一位第八代雅阁双门车主

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycar View Post
No. The 10-speed will be a more capable transmission in two respects.

The 10-speed offers a greater ratio spread than the current CVT, and this translates into shorter gears for better acceleration and taller gears for fuel economy.

Plus, the 10-speed has a much higher torque capacity for a given space than the CVT.
Well, if you look at how auto trannies work, you will realize that a 10-speed(+reverse, obviously) planetary gear auto is a very complicated system... Not likely to happen on cars like Accords or Camry.

Heck, even the new Mustangs come with an 8-speed auto. Best I have seen on a passenger car is a Fiat with 9-speed auto. I know the F150 is equipped with a 10-speed auto, but a truck is more expensive, and their purpose demands an auto tranny with more gears.

You also have to think about the semi-auto mode. I wouldn't expect anyone to drive a 10-speed manual car unless you drive a semi-truck.

Anyways, it makes me appreciate my current Accord more. There are a handful of mid-size FWD family cars out there, but Accord is the only one that still offers a Coupe body style. So I don't even have to choose. Sorry, no matter how good the Camry V6 is, it has 4 doors. It won't look as good as a 2-door Accord Coupe, ever.

This is just how it works for me, but I am sure most people don't care about the Coupes anyways...

My first car!

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM

Mods and such things:

AFE Pro Dry S drop-in filter
HFP body kit
RGR-16D HFP Alloy Wheels
i-VTEC & 3.5 stickers
High and Low beams - Philips CrystalVision Ultra
Front turn signals - HV 6000K white/amber switchback
Rear lights - Philips Vision LEDs
Interior LEDs
Crosstour shift knob
OEM footwell lights
and more!

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT
post #22 of 248 Old 01-09-2017, 09:45 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLTD1487 View Post
Same here. I was thinking about the left over 2017 Accord EX-L's if Honda drops the V6 for 2018. But now that Toyota releases this, my whole game plan changes. It's hard to ignore Toyota. I have always thought Camry's were decent but this 2018 model might just push me over the edge and convince me to get it to replace my decade old, 2007 Honda Accord.

Gotta love company competitions.

I might just jump ship when I buy a new car this year. The card is in your hands, Honda.
Panoramic moonroof, HUD display, quad exhausts, stiffer chassis, JBL Audio in addition to almost 300 hp. Hmm, unless the Accord takes the upgraded infotainment system and panoramic moonroof from the new Odyessy, greatly improves the audio system/sound isolation, includes DI V6, and has an attractive exterior,,,its a wrap.
Baldeagle, chris322 and UNLTD1487 like this.
post #23 of 248 Old 01-09-2017, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

The ONLY thing about this new Camry that interests me is the interior, it actually looks really upscale inside, looks like they are going to give it an Avalon feel. But I still would have to go inside this new Camry to see if interior quality is good. The last time a Camry had a better interior than the Accord was the 4th gen (1997-2001) all the Camrys after that have been trash.
UNLTD1487 likes this.
post #24 of 248 Old 01-09-2017, 11:39 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordULEV View Post
Anyone remember the days of 4 spd autos...or even 3 spd autos?

10 speed automatics = unreal. Is that not trying to break into CVT territory without actually using a CVT?

Back to the point - I might shed a small tear if Honda dropped the V6 in the Accord. It's such an amazing engine. Aside from the choppy suspension, there is nothing I dislike about my Accord and the V6/6AT is the shining point of it.

Wonder if Honda might go the direction of say...Hyundai or Kia? Well I'm too lazy to look it up but I thought I remembered the Sonata or Optima having an I4 NA, V6 and then a I4 turbo option on one or the other.

IF Honda were going the route of dropping a turbo I4 into the Accord, do y'all think it would have enough to outrun the V6?

Are there Honda turbo I4 platforms already in production that might get transplanted into the Accord? I'm not super familiar with Honda's history...
If the Accord goes 1.5T and 2.0T they would be following the path of a Chevrolet Malibu. At which point I would just shake my head after thinking Honda got their act together with the 10th gen Civic.

Of course, Acura is another story...

6 AT is about the limit of what is necessary and I'd argue that even that is probably excessive. Just marketing wooo, we have an 11 AT in our car! Oh yeah? Well we have a 12 speed auto in ours! LOL

4 speed ATs do just fine, just "journalists" who complain that its "low" tech.

2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6 (current)

Past cars
2002 Acura TL-S 206K
1996 Nissan Maxima SE 5-Spd 110K
1980 Volvo 242 GT 425K

Other Hondas in family
2000 Accord EX-L V6 (mom's) 99.6K
post #25 of 248 Old 01-09-2017, 11:39 PM
3rd Gear

The interior instantly reminded me of the Supra with the dashboard canted toward the driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #26 of 248 Old 01-10-2017, 12:30 AM
4th Gear

Garage
I'm new to Turbo Honda scene(not that I have a turbo Accord the way I worded that), how does reliability work out. The 1.5T in the Malibu are already starting to follow the 2.0T ATS and 1.4T Cruze piston issues. The issue with turbos is larger = lag and and smaller is nice seamless low end but makes for a lesser MPG efficient number. Once you semi max out the smaller turbo you find yourself on the MPG hit harder than a larger comparable N/A. The perks of a factory turbo is tuned they can literally be the best no tools needed mod ever and aftermarket you can almost drop a new one on with minimal modification to existing stuff.

If you ignore all that I said above, the sound of turbo 4 in stock form will never be as great as the V6. The sound the 2.0T in the ATS makes cheapens the car quite a bit. The 1.4T in my Cruze sounded way better and less miserable in life than it. I was able to live with the I4 in the Accord as it doesn't sound like it cheapens the elegance of the car and it's not "Hold On, Not Done Accelerating" like at all. It's not a 10 second car but a 6th to 4th 6mt downshift produces a nice rewarding pick up and go. I didn't bother trying the V6 out as it's to much tech I didn't want and auto only in the sedan.

2017 San Marino Red Honda Accord Sport 6MT (DD)
2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car)
The Following User Says Thank You to Merc6 For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (01-11-2017)
post #27 of 248 Old 01-10-2017, 04:02 AM
Out of Control

I think the real improvement in the Camry will be the double wishbone suspension. Although it's a small difference my old 2000 Accord Coupe had slightly better driving dynamics than my 2013 with the McPherson struts. The last Camry I drove, a rental, drove very much like a 1980s Buick.

I don't think the V6 or the geared transmission will make that much of sales impact on Accord without the V6. The vast majority of buyers don't have a clue what's under the hood or how many gears are in the transmission they want styling, fuel economy, hi tech features and price. Oh, they also want lots of cup holders.

The old two and three speed automatics didn't work well in small displacement engines of the time because they had very small torque bands that peaked at high RPM. When I purchased my first Accord in 1980 I test drove one with an automatic and it was terrible compared to the 5 speed manual that I bought. The CVCC engine only had 85 HP. Those old automatics worked best with large displacement six and eight cylinder American type engines. They didn't rev very high but delivered torque over a wide RPM band.

The members of this forum are a very small segment of the car buying public. Car enthusiasts are a dying breed.
KW2004Accord likes this.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
post #28 of 248 Old 01-10-2017, 05:02 AM
6th Gear

I always keep current with what cars are out there, and keep an open mind while in the information gathering stage. While the last Toyota I bought was a 1976 Celica GT, I will consider all cars, including the Camry, for my next one. The last bunch of Camrys were mush to drive, and the Altimas always felt a generation behind the Accords, so Accords it was.

Cars are getting better and more advanced practically every year, and are such a moving target that I can't say definitely not this, but that.

2014 EX-L, I4 CVT MSM
2008 BMW 535i, Steptronic; European Delivery

Retired Accords
1989 LX MT
1994 EX MT
2003 LX MT
post #29 of 248 Old 01-10-2017, 06:53 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspire02 View Post
For a second I thought I was looking at a KIA Optima.

This might explain why Toyota is offering such big discounts on Camrys right now. If the Camry is good and Honda goes all in on Turbos it could be bad for one of them. Lets see how Honda handles this.
It may be Honda just doesn't care much about losing it's V6 buying segment. There are a number of fairly large Honda dealers in my area and their new car inventory is usually 30:1 EX Accords vs. Touring models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
I think the real improvement in the Camry will be the double wishbone suspension. Although it's a small difference my old 2000 Accord Coupe had slightly better driving dynamics than my 2013 with the McPherson struts. The last Camry I drove, a rental, drove very much like a 1980s Buick.
My impression was the same the last time I drove a Camry. It felt like I was riding on a couch w/little or no road-feel to the steering wheel. If Toyota combined a V6 engine with a better suspension they may have a winner. IMO the Camry certainly looks nice enough to consider buying.
UNLTD1487 likes this.
post #30 of 248 Old 01-10-2017, 12:06 PM
Out of Control

It seems to me that each generation Honda changes their vehicles more and more to appeal to people who don’t know cars. CVT? 8-speeds? 10-speeds? Turbos? Most Honda owners don’t know or care.

For those who were attracted to Honda for their V6 engines, reliability and semi-fun personality the Camry may be their next car. We all criticize the Camry for being boring, but the SE and XLE versions come with sport tuned suspension (stiffer springs and shocks). You can also get a Camry with dedicated sport seats. That version of the car may not boring. Only time will tell but for those family-car semi-enthusiasts, on paper a ≈295hp V6 Sedan with a sport suspension sounds much better than a basic Accord with a ≈235hp 2.0 turbo engine.

UNLTD1487 and Merc6 like this.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.