Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: San Antonio, TX
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Better Way to Replace ABS Reservoir Fluid
To replace the ABS modulator fluid on '94-97 Accords, use this improved version of the S/M procedure.
1. Remove the ABS modulator reservoir cap, then remove all the fluid and sediment from the reservoir with a clean bulb syringe (turkey baster).
2. Refill the reservoir to the MAX line with Genuine Honda DOT 3 brake fluid.
3. Remove the bleeder cap from the ABS modulator bleeder, and put a 6-point box-end wrench on the
TUBE MODULATOR UNIT MAINTENANCE BLEEDER 6-POINT BOX WRENCH CONTAINER
4. Push one end of an appropriate diameter hose onto the bleeder bolt (it should fit snugly), then insert the other end into a container to catch the brake fluid.
5. Wearing eye protection, bleed the fluid from the reservoir into the container by slowly loosening the
bleeder bolt an eighth to a quarter turn. Do not loosen the bolt more than a quarter turn. The highly
pressurized fluid can whip the hose around or even blow it off the bleeder bolt.
6. Torque the bleeder bolt, then remove the hose, the wrench, and the container.
7. Start the engine, let it run for 1 minute, then shut it off.
8. Repeat steps 3 thru 7 until the fluid in the reservoir reaches the MIN line. Do not allow the ABS pump to run when the fluid is below the MIN line.
9. Tighten the bleeder bolt to 11 N . m (8 lb-ft), then reinstall the bleeder cap.
10. Refill the reservoir to the MAX line with Genuine Honda DOT 3 brake fluid.
11. Start the engine, and make sure the ABS indicator goes off.