Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Power door locks suddenly not working

221K views 55 replies 37 participants last post by  stevem48a3 
#1 ·
So today I get home from work and in the usual routine I hit my lock button on my key and start walking away, only this time I noticed that my interior lights stayed on and didn't fade out. I walked back over to my car and hit the lock button again and still the lights stayed on. :scratch: Hmmmmm. I hit the unlock button and opened my door and then closed it again thinking maybe the door didn't shut all the way the first time. Well it wasn't that because once again the interior lights stayed on when I hit the lock button. I noticed that the door lock stems were not down as far as usual. In fact they barely moved when I hit the lock or unlock button inside the car, although they did move slightly, just not enough to lock and shut off the interior light.

I can manually lock/unlock the doors with the key in the drivers door key hole or by manually pushing the door lock stem down on either driver or passenger side door. All other electical seems fine and when I push the drivers side lock stem down the passenger side goes down as well. I checked fuse for the power locks in the interior fuse panel and it's totally fine. The driving lights and interior lights flash like they should when I hit the lock/unlock button on the key but again the locks are barely moving/working.

Does this sound like it's a power door lock actuator gone bad? If so how difficult is it to replace? I looked online and I can get it from a local Honda dealer for $38 and change, so not too expensive. I've never had a reason to take the door panel off so it'll be new for me (for this car anyway). Any pointers, opinions or help would be greatly appreiciated! For what it's worth it's a 2003 V6 Coupe 6spd.

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you tried manually unlock BOTH drover AND passenger doors and then use the remote to lock the doors?

If only the passenger lock goes down then you likely have a problem with just the driver side actuator, but if neither go down then perhaps it's time to change the battery in the remote consider your car is 5 or so years old.

Alternatively you can also try use the lock/unlock switch (not the lock stem itself) on the door panel to see if the lock mechanism works properly, if it does then again it points to the battery in the remote.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick response, Aviography.

I should have been more clear with my description. When I said I hit the lock/unlock button inside the car, what I meant is the lock/unlock button on the door panel. So in other words the locks don't lock with the remote lock button or the door panel lock button.

I'm pretty sure the remote battery is fine because the remote trunk button pops the trunk open fine and it activates the flashing indicator lights, it just seems the stems aren't moving up or down enough to lock or unlock the door unless I use the key in the key hole or manually push or pull the stems.

I just researched a Acura TL forum and it seems lots of people have had similar issues and it seems to be the actuator, that's why I suspect its that, but I'm not 100%.

#4 ·
Well then, you've narrowed it down pretty much to just the driver side, now you have to take the panel off to see if there is anything binding the mechanism, or if any part of the mechnism has popped off where it was suppose to be, and if there is voltage to the actuator connector, if there isn't any binding and 12 volts is getting to the connector then you can be 99.99% certain it's the actuator.

#5 ·
Yeah, I figured it was probably the actuator just from past threads I've read about the door locks not working, but I've also read about a loose or broken connection, so I guess the only way to find out is taking the door panel off. Any tips on not busting clips removing the door panel?

Anyone know if there's an actuator in both the driver's side and passenger's side door or only in the driver's side on a coupe?

This post has been deleted
#13 ·
I am having the same issue

The remote battery is fine....when I try to lock and unlock from the door panel both my driver side and passenger side locks do not work.

I hear a faint "click" but nothing happens

If its the acutator can it affect both doors?

I have the same question

I do not understand how both locks stopped working simutaneously

#6 ·
its a fuse that is in your panel on the drivers side...this happened to my 98' accord.. charged me like $25 to replace it at a dealership...had no clue back then..lol but if it was now i would probably do it..

too bad i dont have that accord no more.. BUT i got my new sexy onE!! lol

good luck with your problem

#7 ·
Already checked the fuse. It's not blown. Even switched it with another 20 just to be sure and still nothing.

Funny thing is this morning they work. I guess it's something that's going to be an on going work or not work issue until I get the time to get the door panel off to test the actuator.

#9 ·
^ Thanks!

#10 ·
Same thing on my 04 accord. I can press lock and see the stem just barely try and go down for first try. But most the time now nothing. No noise or anything. Remote or Physical button inside the car.

Just been locking it manually with keyhole.

Accordian - How is it going with this? cheap easy fix?

#12 ·
Same issue

Sounds like I have the same problem. The plunger on the drivers side will not work electronically at all. The remote and the switch will unlock the passenger side only. I cannot lock/unlock the drivers door unless I use the key.

My drivers side window switch is becoming erratic in behavior also. Sometimes it just doesn't wanna work, but will work after a few seconds of it failing... any thoughts?

Thanks, Trevor

#14 ·
There are separate actuators in both doors. If both locks stopped working at the same time, it is likely something else.

#16 ·
Hey guys,

I just joined this forum and bought my 2003 Coupe V6-AT about 2 months ago. Both my looks were working perfectly fine until about a month ago, until they both started working slower and eventually stopped working. Mechanic who changed my timing belt said it was the actuator. Trunk button still works

I haven't gotten around to testing nor buying the new actuators, as I was gonna spend a good day this fall tearing my door apart to fix it. I've gotten quite used to manually opening the door for myself and passengers. lol. Anyways the driver side door lock actually worked for a full day yesterday..?! And then like before, started losing its power and eventually died (again).

Any ideas? I'm thoroughly baffled as to where to begin to troubleshoot this.

thanks

Anyone? thanks

#18 ·
Hey guys,

I just joined this forum and bought my 2003 Coupe V6-AT about 2 months ago. Both my looks were working perfectly fine until about a month ago, until they both started working slower and eventually stopped working. Mechanic who changed my timing belt said it was the actuator. Trunk button still works

I haven't gotten around to testing nor buying the new actuators, as I was gonna spend a good day this fall tearing my door apart to fix it. I've gotten quite used to manually opening the door for myself and passengers. lol. Anyways the driver side door lock actually worked for a full day yesterday..?! And then like before, started losing its power and eventually died (again).

Any ideas? I'm thoroughly baffled as to where to begin to troubleshoot this.

thanks
Don't bother troubleshooting. Replace the actuators and your problem is solved. Mine did the same thing. New actuator is time consuming, but can be done on your own saving you labor costs. Instructions are in the forums.

#17 ·
Sounds just like what happened to mine. I'm 99% sure it's the drivers side actuator, I just haven't found the time to fix mine yet. I've gotten pretty used to manually unlocking the door, too lol!

#20 ·
Hello, my wife has the 2003 Accord Ex 4 door and I believe is having this same actuator problem. All the other actuators seem to work but since they are tied to the driver's actuator they all don't work. For example if all doors are locked and I try to unlock driver door nothing happens, even if i press unlock twice. But if using my hand I unlock the driver door or using the key directly and then press unlock all the other doors unlock (press = keyless or button on door panel).

So I'm assuming the actuator is dead. Now here's my question. I took the door panel off and on the actual door side there is plastic sheeting with an adhesive seal.
1. Is the actuator behind the plastic sheeting??
2. How do I remove the plastic sheeting? Do I cut it or use a hair dryer to soften the adhesive?
3. Do I need to disconnect the battery to switch out the actuator or can I just pull the power door lock fuse out??

I'm a moderate DIY especially when something will require a lot of labor hours from the stealership service shop.

Thanks for any help or advice.

#21 ·
1) Yes. It is attached to the latch mechanism behind the sheeting
2) Pull on it. Don't cut it. I didn't use a hair dryer, just gently pulled it away. It is pretty gummy so it will stick right back to the door frame
3) I didn't disconnect the battery or pull the fuse. You need power because you must lower the window to remove the door panel, then you must raise the window after removing the door panel so you can remove the latch mechanism and actuator.

#23 ·
I am having the same problem with my 03 Accord Coupe. The driver's side wouldnt work from the remote, nor the inside switch. But the passenger, lights, and trunk work fine. I'm thinking 99% thats my drivers attenuator isnt working as well. Did anybody on here fix theirs themselves? I'm searching for a replacement on ebay now as I type.

#24 ·
My problem is even more of a head scratcher. Hope someone can shed some light on it. Just recently our 2003 4 door Accord started not being able to unlock all 3 passenger doors neither with the remote nor with the door switch. The drivers door locks and unlocks just fine and the 3 passenger doors lock just fine, just won't unlock. Since you have to hit the remote switch twice to get the passenger doors to unlock, I am assuming there is a separate relay that controls this. Anyone out there have an idea of where that is or have a wiring diagram? Would be much appreciated.

#25 ·
so really how hard is it to change these out? i've read the info to get them out, and just don't want to break anything, or have to pull up to a dealer, with the panel in the pass. seat, and ask them to put it back together. any tips that someone, anyone could warn me about? thanks in advance.....

#27 ·
Hi I seem to be having a similar problem but a bit different , my passenger side is dying ... I say that because it still SORTA works.

Like when I unlock the door , it will unlock, very weak and slowly though. Say I sit in my car and I hit the look all doors switch, the passenger door might lock, or it might be so weak that it moves a bit and doesnt make it all the way. After this no matter what I press, it just doesnt move or it moves so weakly it stays in the same position. It always works like onec or twice after a long time , sort of like I had to let it cahrge up and when I hit unlock or lock the one or two times, it just gives it all it has and stops working from then on ...

Do you guys think it is a the actuator too ?

#30 ·
I was having similar problem to AccordEXxx. One day getting out of work tried to get in my car through Keyless entry and the driver side door would not open so I checked it out and it just apparently stopped working after the initial attempt of trying to open the lock. you can see the lock trying to move but it doesn't after initial attempt either through remote entry or pushing the lock/unlock switch. The next day I tried and start the car and it would not start battery was dead and I just simply went out and bought one of those battery chargers and charged the batteries and viola, everything working fine now. The battery was showing no signs of wear at all before the time I could not start the car.
I'm guessing for most of you it might actually be the actuator but hopefully this might help someone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.