Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

A quick word on Searching.

Tags
search
9K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Miker 
#1 ·
So I see a lot of repeated questions, and I'm guilty myself, and a lot of experienced users angrily advising to use the search function. Well we all know it's not perfect, and in fact doesn't work very well for me at all. So to those not familiar with meta searching (Google), if you end your searches with "site:driveaccord.net" it will Google search only within the Drive Accord website.

So Googling:
Code:
How do I modded car? site:driveaccord.net
Will search for pages containing this phrase where the URL starts with driveaccord.net. On the other hand,
Code:
How do I modded car? Driveaccord
could search other pages that pertain to modding and reference the Drive Accord forums. There are many other ways to help searching. Let's say you want to find pages on front sway bars...searching "front sway bars" will help but will still find pages that contain the words sway or bars, and the majority of threads on this site about sway bars are about the rear ones. So, search:
Code:
front sway bars -rear site:driveaccord.net
And Google will exclude pages that contain the word rear, or at least will lower them on the ranking of how relative the page is to your search. Using quotes will search for an exact phrase instead of individual words. Using google will get you a better list.

Hope this helps, and hope it's not been posted before. It would suck to have a thread on searching plastered with USE GOOGLE USE SEARCH. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Good post. I don't think a lot of people know about these Google tips.

Adding +"View Topic" to a Google search is also helpful for people looking for opinions on ALL forums!

Somebody pointed out that some search engines don't look for words that are three characters or less. Instead of searching for HID, search for HIDS or HID*.

#4 ·
Great advice.
I have tried searching for several things including how to change the front brake pads on my 06 and had a bear of a time finding what I was looking for. You would think that would be rather simple to find but all I ever found was how to change the rears on an 03. I then moved on to youtube and watched the front Pilot brakes done before starting my job.

It is frustrating because this forum is full of great information but it is very difficult to find answers with this search feature.

#5 ·
Ahhhh! I can't find the search function!:lmao::lmao:

#7 ·
How to search this site

Here's an interesting way to search for things on this site: use Google.

Say you're having a problem with foam/bubbles in the power steering reservoir of your 2007.

Go to Google and enter power steering bubbles site:driveaccord.net in the search line. Note: there's no space between "site:" and "driveaccord.net"

This is what you come up with:

Attachments

#8 ·
For some odd reason your method that you describe, works better than the google search up in the right hand corner of the full web page.

That's how I normally search using site:driveaccord.net

Thanks

EDIT: I see it's already been merged with the sticky : )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.