Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Timing Belt Replacement Costs?

26K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Accordlover 
#1 ·
Trying to get an idea on what the average cost is to replace the timing belt?

From what I am reading ..I should also replace water pump, Valve cover gasket and oil seals while im at it.

Can someone give me an idea on what I should expect to pay for this work?

Thank you for your help.

#2 ·
when i get mine done, it's based off of a (i believe) $55/hr labor rate....

it takes about 4.5 hrs to do labor wise....

total cost (for me, independent shop) is around $400... they only replace all the belts, water pump, coolant, and other associated parts...

i'll look to see what the full service includes, and possible pricing....

#3 ·
105,000 mi/168,000 km
Rotate Tires
Replace Spark Plugs
Inspect Valve Clearances
Replace engine oil filter
Check front and rear brakes
Check parking brake adjustment
Inspect the tie rod ends, steering gearbox, and boots
Inspect the suspension components
Inspect the driveshaft boots
Inspect the brake hoses and lines (including ABS)
Inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids
Inspect the exhaust system#
Inspect the fuel lines and connections#
Replace timing belt and inspect water pump

that is copied from another thread (thx stevencrosbie!)...

the total cost varies widely, depending on how much you do.... for everything, you are looking at alot more than $400... maybe double that....

alot of the cost also depends on the labor rate of the dealer/independent shop you take it to....

#4 ·
Thank You

...the reason I was asking is because at my local service station I had the tires mounted, balanced, an oil change, muffler installed and inspection sticker done (Passed) :banana: ....then when I picked up my car I asked him what it will cost to replace the timing belt and valve cover gasket....He said $500.00 and I was like WOW really?

I thought it was kind of High but i guess he isnt too far off.

Thank you again for your help.

#5 ·
yeah, that's kind of on the low end....

be sure that they do the water pump as well... you don't want to be charged to pull everything apart again if the water pump fails within 20k miles. :yes:

#6 ·
Just a note

They usually do NOT replace the thermostat when they do the timing belt. Spring for the extra bucks and have it done as long as the cooling system is drained down anyway.

I learned the hard way when I had a 1995 Acura Legend. The dealer did the timing belts, water pump etc, and thought I was covered.

30K later the thermostat stuck and the temp went high, but did not overheat. Dealer said they do not replace the thermostat when doing the timing belts.

Never again :(

#7 ·
Not that I know it it's any different, but the OP needs to follow the 90k Timing Belt interval designed for his car. The 105k is for 1998 and newer models. I have my own way of doing the Timing Belt, I find it cost effective in the long run, and you're getting alot of things done at once for peace of mind later.

Here: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showpost.php?p=132361&postcount=2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.