Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1999 Accord EX brake lights do not work

24K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  03LXV6 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 2.3L Accord EX with manual transmission and my problem is that my brake lights stopped working. I saw a post from some one dating back to '04 read through it and have already tried everything there but no joy.

Here's what I do know:
- Fuses are good, the 7.5 in the driver side fuse and the 20 under the hood labeled stop are both good.

- Was told it was the brake switch, got a new one lights worked one time and then stopped again.

- Was told it was a small black control box located under the drivers side tail light that seems to control the brake lights. Replaced it and still nothing.

- The bulbs are good, when I turn on my lights they light up but no brake lights when using the pedal. Not even the cyclops in the rear window.

- Only other anomoly I see is that the light for my odometer is now out but I've written that off as coincidental.

If any one has ideas, recommendations, solutions please, please let me know. If any one knows where I can find a wiring diagram for the brake lights please let me know.

See less See more
#5 ·
Ok since you said the lights worked once after you changed the brake switch that should narrow the problem. Do you have a way of confirming that the switch it still good? Something must be burning out the switch or there is a loose contact close to that area.

#6 ·
sodaks2k, yeah I'm looking for help any where I can right now. Not having my car in driving condition is making me nuts.

03LXV6, my dad who's an electrician checked the switch and as best we can tell it is still good. Last night he was almost elbow deep under the dash testing things. I'll check again for any loose contacts and try testing the switch again just to make sure.

#8 ·
Ok so here's an update on this problem, sorry it took so long has been some very busy days. My dad & his mechanic determined there was a loss of power some where between the brake switch & the tail light relay. They discovered the loss of power was happening at the drivers underdash fuse/relay box. They cut the wire into the box and out of the box, spliced them and now i have tail lights again. Down side is that now when the car is off if I step on the brakes they light up & #2 my cruise control doesn't work because we are bypassing the feed into the cruise control unit so the system thinks the brake is engaged at all times now.

So now that is my next task, to get that back up and running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.