Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

when to replace water pump?

49K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Paschal 
#1 ·
hi, mine is 2008 accord lxp, 4 cylinder, i wonder:

#1. is water pump driven by the drive belt or timing chain?

#2. when and at what mileage interval should i replace water pump?

#3. if i need to replace drive belt, do i replace water pump at the same time?

#4. and what mileage for replacing timing chain??

thanks a lot...

#6 ·
But that doesn't mean that parts around the timing chain can go bad or fail. On top of that timing chain can stretch and rattle over time/mileage. Which would you have done? replacing a chain or a whole engine??? I would vote for the chain over the engine any day.

#8 ·
1. The water pump is driven by a belt.
2. There is no mileage recommendation, I personally would change it by 120,000 if it has made it that long.
3. No, the belt is relatively easy to change and it drives the A/C and Alternator as well as the water pump.
4. The chain needs to be replaced when the tensioner can no longer keep tension on the chain. Normally the timing chain last the life of the engine.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Mine is Accord 2009, i4. It is 140,000 miles. I checked the pump and it is solid, no leak. I asked the dealer from where I live and they told me I don't need to worry about it. I also asked them about the chain if it needs to be replaced or maintenanced, but they said if I replace the oil regularly, the engine should be good for a life time.

The only problem I recently had was the noise during the first start up of the engine. I didn't know what that was until I flushed and replaced the power steering fluid. After that the noise was disappeared. Now, the vehicle is running as a champ.
It's a good car after all.

#12 ·
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

#14 ·
To prolong the life of the water pump, change the coolant before it gets dirty & use the correct type. I changed mine at 300,000 only as a preventive measure. Timing chain, most important is to use a good quality oil & to change before it gets real dirty. Bando was the OEM accessory belt, I like Goodyear (Continel) Gatorback belts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.