Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

How to reset oil life %

21K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Tak 
#1 ·
hey guys, i was thinking if any body knows how to re set the oil life %? because I'm trying to clean it, the dealer made a mess after an oil change. I have a 08 accord v6. also would the car have more sales value if it's serviced at dealer:notworthy?

#3 ·
1. Get owners manual

2. Refer to section about oil change/maintenance minder

3. Follow instructions:
Place the key into the #2 position (do not start engine). With the oil remaining light showing on the odometer, press and hold reset post for 10 seconds until it starts blinking, then let go. Press it again for 5 seconds and it should reset back to 100%.
4. Done

#4 ·
Re. if the car would have more value if serviced by the dealer? The important thing is to keep the service records and have them available for the next buyer. Even if you trade it in it can help.

Maybe look for a new dealer for service. Talk to the service mgr a little. Does he or she try to get rid of you, seem dismissive? Treat you like a number or are they nice and friendly and look you in the eye? Not a good sign if the dealer screws up an oil change.

#6 ·
Just a usage note for anyone reading this that may be trying it on a 7th gen. The procedure (which is similar for the 8th gen) will not work if your headlights are on (dimming or not :D ). Something about the circuit or logic won't allow the reset to happen unless the headlights are in the off position. It drove me nuts for a while since I always had my lights in the "on" position and let them auto shutoff when I got out of the car - and I read about it via an advisory Princess dug up a while back. Odd, but true...

andy

#7 ·
Ok you have to get to the oil percentage and hold the button down until it blinks. Both things. Then release the button and hold down again till it resets to 100%. I had to call the dealer to find out Necause just holding it down was not working. Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.