Gas Discussion Thread: What brand do you use? What's the best brand? Etc... - Page 3 - Drive Accord Honda Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
post #31 of 382 Old 08-17-2005, 04:47 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lojeff
I have a quick question for you guys about the gas gauge and size of tank. I thought the tank held 17.9 gallons. I filled up once right when the light came on and it only took 14.5 gallons. The second time, I ran it right at the Empty line and it only took 15.5 gallons.

What's up? Are the fuel gauges why off? Has anyone else had this situation? What is the most gallons ever used at fill-up?
Remember that the fuel pump at the station & fuel gauge in your car aren't 100% accurate. It could be that the car might not have been as level both times. Did you fill up at the same station? Some station owners will cheat.

---------------------
2002 Accord EXVL Auto Sedan - Nighthawk Black Pearl / Quartz, fog lights, mud guards, wheel locks, trunk tray
1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT Auto Coupe
Advertisement

post #32 of 382 Old 08-17-2005, 05:23 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
Welcome lojeff!!

When the light comes on most have about 2 gallons. It's a "time to look for gas" light, not a "your'e gonna be pushing" light. The Hondas we've owned are better on accuracy than the 2 Olds we've had.

benjamming is right on....different pumps, different levels will make a slight difference. (I wonder how many times I can use the saem word in one sentence!) We've put 22.5 gallons in an Olds that held 22 gallons empty! Yeah, station never cheat!!! If they get complaints, then some gets sent out to calibrate the pumps.

I kicked cancer's butt! You might be next!!!! :) I survived a fatal heart attack, PRAYERS WORK!

(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_) butt dance.

the latest in a long line of Hondas:

Ours: '06 Ridgeline RTL with Nav Steel Blue, rear view & cargo cameras, iVES, hitch, INfinity speakers, running boards, alternate front grille, garnish, roof rack, now with 18" Ridgeline rims

little '98 Civic sedan, everything still works! Named Mater.
post #33 of 382 Old 08-18-2005, 02:53 AM
Out of Control

We run 98% Sinclair bought down the street from a mom and pop quicky store. The fuel we run is refined in Tulsa at the Sinclair refinery. As of yesterday it cost $2.48pg. Also purchase all beer, candy and cigs there. Also nice to have a account there.

09 HCHII,w/Navi,I4,CVT Crap,Atomic Blue/Beige,70k Miles (Dull/MPG/Quite Civic)
07 Mazda3 S Touring,I4,5MT,Purple/Charcoal,80k Miles (Civic What?)
00 Ranger Ext,XLT,I4,5MT,White/Gray,200k Miles (Thinks it's a F-150)

X, 05 Accord EX Sedan,I4,5AT,Red/Gray,89k Miles (My Fav. Accord Gen)
X, 06 Civic EX Sedan,w/Navi,I4,5MT,Silver/Gray,44k Miles (No Better Than GM Junk)

Can you save a gal. here and there then blow a half gallon playing with the tach? It can be done!

post #34 of 382 Old 08-18-2005, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Do you think I will notice any difference running 89 or higher vs 87 in the 2.4L? I guess I'll have to give it a shot. Car seems to run great on 87. Checkout www.toptiergas.com. It's been posted before however.
post #35 of 382 Old 08-19-2005, 12:52 AM
Rush fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster
Do you think I will notice any difference running 89 or higher vs 87 in the 2.4L? I guess I'll have to give it a shot. Car seems to run great on 87. Checkout www.toptiergas.com. It's been posted before however.
It actually won't make the car run better. In fact it will impede performance. I tried it before on my previous honda and wondered why the higher octane seemed to make my car slower. Its because the lower octane actually ignites easier. The higher octane stuff is designed to resist pre-ignition caused by high-compression engines. When low octane gas is put in a high-compression engine it ignites during the compression stroke instead of when the spark plug fires because it is too easy to ignite. That results in the knocking sound. The higher the octane, the more resistance to knocking and the worse it will perform in our low-compression engines.

Gabe
2004 Accord LX coupe 2.4L auto 149,000 mi
1989 CRX 500,000 mi (sold)
post #36 of 382 Old 09-11-2005, 09:40 AM
1st Gear

Purely subjective observation: My Accord seems to drive/feel better w/ Phillps 66 Reg. vs. Shell Reg but w/ same 26.5 mpg/city average mileage. (I am aware that it differs for each brand and even at each station). So I added a Phillips 66 gas rebate MC to my Shell gas rebate MC, every cent counts!

2005 Silver Accord I4 EXL+N sedan (driveaccord.net)
2005 Silver Odyssey EXL R+N (odyclub.com)

Prior: Pilot, Civic, Passport, 6th gen Accord
post #37 of 382 Old 10-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

I've run 2 consecutive tanks of Chevron through my car and I'm still not getting the results I want. Engine sounds different, not so much of a VTEC kick, seems to be less powerful, rougher and louder, vibration at idle, and worse FE. I will be reverting back to Shell (unless their prices differ by more than 1 or 2 cents).

All this stuff is making me think that Chevron's octane is actually slightly higher than Shell. For low performance cars like mine, Shell burns easier and thus more power, less vibration at idle. Chevron has higher octane than they state, then they work better with "hotter" engines - that's why so many tuners and high end car drivers like them. Ody and Mercedes drivers swear up and down by Chevron, so do some other Honda V6ers.

Or it could also be the techron and the additives package working to burn off all the crap in my engine, thus making it run rougher temporarily but helping in the long run. I should do my Ph.D. thesis on this, being that my major right now is Chem Engineering
post #38 of 382 Old 10-02-2005, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

I'm running 87 Shell with 1oz of Redline SI-1 fuel system cleaner on every fill up. 1oz per 10 gallons is the maintenance treat rate.
post #39 of 382 Old 10-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Blast from the past!

Send a message via MSN to EXLNavi
Dead thread revival? Okay.

I run the cheapest LOL gas I can find. Usually it's Costco in clifton but I can't take the long lines anymore since the state decided that Costco has to sell to everyone not just members.

So now I just fill up at the BP station close to work.

'04 EX-L i4 5AT with Navi

If your mother still drives you to school,.... you ain't no gangster. PULL YOUR PANTS UP!
post #40 of 382 Old 10-03-2005, 01:51 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Since gasoline now requires a bank loan I've been purchasing strictly by price. Oddly enough, Shell, which is usually higher, has been the least expensive lately. I stick with 87, no need for more octane with the 4 banger.
post #41 of 382 Old 10-03-2005, 05:35 AM
5th Gear

Gas is gas; it all comes from the same pipeline that is the "base stock". Each company then adds a "dropper full" of their own additive to the "base stock" AFTER it is loaded into a tanker truck.

I purchase on price from larger volume dealers. That way I'm likely to get fresh product with little chance of water from in ground service station tanks.

Octane is a different story. Some modern computer controlled cars with knock sensors like my wife's TL-S (Duel knock sensors in each head) will run on any octane fuel. The higher the octane, the move ignition advance and more power. We are probably only talking about a few HP here, so to me, it's not worth running anything but 87 octane fuel in that car. That’s the beauty of advanced technology.

Mine:
2007 Accord EX-L sedan J30A5 6-speed Graphite Pearl-Grey Interior
Purchased 5/4/2011, lifetime MPG 28.59

Gone, DOA:2007 Accord EX-L sedan K24A8 manual Desert Mist Metallic-Ivory Interior
17mm rear anti sway bar 32.76Mpg lifetime

Wife's

2007 Accord EX-L coupe J30A5 automatic Cool Blue-Black Interior
post #42 of 382 Old 10-03-2005, 06:52 AM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

I flip-flopped between mobil and Hess recently and I do notice a difference in engine response and power. My driving style didn't change, but when it had Mobil in the tank, it would run more aggressivly, revving higher, pulling harder on lower RPMs, etc. When it's running Hess, it's driving like a turtle. Granted, it's a 15 cent a gallon difference, but it's still not supposed to be THAT huge of a difference! I think I'm going back to Mobil from now on unless it's over $3/gallon again.

2013 Accord EX-L Navi 11,178 miles and counting...
<a href=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/SSMV6/accord target=_blank><a href=http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/210024.png target=_blank>http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/210024.png</a></a> . . . . Last tank mpg = 32.2mpg

2005 Accord EX-V6 Sedan (3/05-1/13) retired at 127,110 miles
1993 Accord 10th Anniversary Edition Sedan (5/08-7/10) Retired at 153,007 miles
2000 Civic Si (5/00-3/3/05) Retired at 59,500 miles
post #43 of 382 Old 10-03-2005, 02:37 PM
1st Gear

I used to buy Chevron exclusively but with the prices rising so fast, I changed to "best price from a big name company" and then to "cheapest I can find." I have been surprised that Chevron and Exxon seem to provide more power and better mileage. Shell is surprisingly less powerful and lowers my mileage. Most of the other stations all perform about the same.

I also used to put in mid-grade regularly and supreme once every couple of months to help keep the engine clean. While I was doing that, I found that the higher octane fuels would provided more power. I wasn't tracking mileage at that time so I don't know what effect it had on mileage, if any. When I downgraded to cheapest, I found that my power decreased a little bit.

Jeff
post #44 of 382 Old 10-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Blast from the past!

Send a message via MSN to EXLNavi
Does the K24 in the Accord have a knock sensor? I was told that it did.

'04 EX-L i4 5AT with Navi

If your mother still drives you to school,.... you ain't no gangster. PULL YOUR PANTS UP!
post #45 of 382 Old 10-03-2005, 04:01 PM
6th Gear

Here is a question for you guys. Does the I4 run better on mid grade or premium gas? I've only filled mine up with 87.

2007 Accord EXL-V6 Sedan Auto (Alabaster Silver)
2013 Accord EXL I4 Sedan CVT (Obsidian Blue Pearl)
Advertisement

Tags
gas type

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.