Gas Discussion Thread: What brand do you use? What's the best brand? Etc... - Drive Accord Honda Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 382 Old 08-15-2005, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Gas Discussion Thread: What brand do you use? What's the best brand? Etc...

My car is much more sluggish using Mobil 87 Octane. Seems to do ok on 87 Shell though. Anyone using 89 or 93? I'm not sure it's worth it being the 2.4L can run on 86 technically, if it were available in the US.

Advertisement

post #2 of 382 Old 08-15-2005, 10:17 AM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
My car likes pretty much anything EXCEPT Shell. We usually use premium or mid grade. Reg. on occation (Chevron).

I kicked cancer's butt! You might be next!!!! :) I survived a fatal heart attack, PRAYERS WORK!

(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_) butt dance.

the latest in a long line of Hondas:

Ours: '06 Ridgeline RTL with Nav Steel Blue, rear view & cargo cameras, iVES, hitch, INfinity speakers, running boards, alternate front grille, garnish, roof rack, now with 18" Ridgeline rims

little '98 Civic sedan, everything still works! Named Mater.
post #3 of 382 Old 08-15-2005, 10:29 AM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

I've ran nothing but 87 octane in mine since day 1.. tried using Shell, Sunoco, Mobil/Exxon and Hess and found that Mobil/Exxon still offered me the best gas mileage and power. Shell seemed a little better than Sunoco and Hess is just about the worse gas I'm willing to put in my car.

BTW, the differences aren't huge. It's more like 1MPG difference, but I can definately feel a difference in engine response with the better gas.

2013 Accord EX-L Navi 11,178 miles and counting...
<a href=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/SSMV6/accord target=_blank><a href=http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/210024.png target=_blank>http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/210024.png</a></a> . . . . Last tank mpg = 32.2mpg

2005 Accord EX-V6 Sedan (3/05-1/13) retired at 127,110 miles
1993 Accord 10th Anniversary Edition Sedan (5/08-7/10) Retired at 153,007 miles
2000 Civic Si (5/00-3/3/05) Retired at 59,500 miles
post #4 of 382 Old 08-15-2005, 11:01 AM
5th Gear

I heard much of this gas is coming out of the same refineries.. is that true?

I just run what's cheap... never notice a difference between brands unless driving my turbo WRX.

Durka Durka
post #5 of 382 Old 08-15-2005, 11:04 AM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA05LXDriver
I heard much of this gas is coming out of the same refineries.. is that true?

I just run what's cheap... never notice a difference between brands unless driving my turbo WRX.

Unfortunately, it's true, but what makes each brand different is which part of the oil container the companies are willing to get the oil from.. The better oil being on top of the container and the worse oil from the bottom.. I'm not talking about 50 gallon oil drums, either... I'm talking about building-sized oil containers. Usually the bottom 1/3 is sold to the no-named gas companies for cheap. Better brands only take the top 40-50% of the tank, etc...

<a href=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/SSMV6/accord target=_blank><a href=http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/210024.png target=_blank>http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/210024.png</a></a> . . . . Last tank mpg = 32.2mpg

post #6 of 382 Old 08-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Rejuvenated

Send a message via Yahoo to HarlemV6Honda
With gas prices around 2.99/gallon for premium here in NYC, I've only used regular and will probably continue to until prices go down or I can find cheaper prices when I move to DC....until then, $10.00 here, $10.00 there will do the trick!

On the streets of New York City, there are passengers and there are drivers...the choice is yours...

3/18/06: '06 Accord EX-L AT
Graphite Grey/Grey
Potamkin Honda

Damaged: '04 Accord EX V6 Sedan
Auto
Redondo Red/Grey
Discarded @ 44,652 miles :(
Bay Ridge Honda

Retired: '00 Volvo S70 GLT
Auto
Nautic Blue/Beige
Martin Motor Sales
post #7 of 382 Old 08-15-2005, 06:22 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMV6
Unfortunately, it's true, but what makes each brand different is which part of the oil container the companies are willing to get the oil from.. The better oil being on top of the container and the worse oil from the bottom.. I'm not talking about 50 gallon oil drums, either... I'm talking about building-sized oil containers. Usually the bottom 1/3 is sold to the no-named gas companies for cheap. Better brands only take the top 40-50% of the tank, etc...
What? Are you serious?

Gas is made at several different refineries across the US & generally piped across the US. Of course CA is special.
The biggest difference in the different brands of gas is the additives used.

---------------------
2002 Accord EXVL Auto Sedan - Nighthawk Black Pearl / Quartz, fog lights, mud guards, wheel locks, trunk tray
1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT Auto Coupe
post #8 of 382 Old 08-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Trip
My 03 Accord, 89 Prelude, and 91 Wagon all seem to like Shell 87 the best though Wagon prefers hi octane in the winter for some reason.

FYI Check out www.toptiergas.com Honda, Toyota, BMW, and GM got together to develop a standard for gasoline and so far only 8 brands made the cut:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company

There's more info on the site about what they were trying to accomplish etc... If the auto manufacturers are saying only these 8 brands meet their qualifications for "good gas", there must be a difference from brand to brand even if the base stock comes from common refineries.
post #9 of 382 Old 08-15-2005, 11:25 PM
4th Gear

Hi All:

___Shell, BP, or Marathon 87 Octane here. Usually Shell because they give me the best deal with their CC vs. BP and Marathon.

___Trip, I have had a problem with this sites claim since I first came across it a few months ago.
Quote:
Contain no less than 48 mg/kg sulfur. At least 60% of the sulfur shall be derived from FCC blend stock.
___If you are interested in poisoning a CAT, reducing your CAT’s ability to scrub NOx and HC’s, and a host of other reasons not worth discussing, a minimum high sulfur content is bad news imho. The EPA has already taken care of this problem once and for all with the Tier II Low Sulfur gasoline mandate scheduled for completion by early 06 for all but the Rocky Mountain States and small refiners scattered around the country.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
post #10 of 382 Old 08-16-2005, 04:54 AM
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
My 03 Accord, 89 Prelude, and 91 Wagon all seem to like Shell 87 the best though Wagon prefers hi octane in the winter for some reason.

FYI Check out www.toptiergas.com Honda, Toyota, BMW, and GM got together to develop a standard for gasoline and so far only 8 brands made the cut:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company

There's more info on the site about what they were trying to accomplish etc... If the auto manufacturers are saying only these 8 brands meet their qualifications for "good gas", there must be a difference from brand to brand even if the base stock comes from common refineries.

Here in the midwest we are offered many of the top tier gasoline brands. I have been leaning towards Conoco and Phillips 66 which, by the way are the same company for about the last two years. If you want to save 12 to 15 cents per gallon on gas, get a Citibank Dividend Credit Card which rebates you 5% on gas station, grocery store, and pharmacy purchases..

Dan

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Pickup 4 cyl-5speed manual tranny
1991 BMW R100GS Purchased Feb. 1992
post #11 of 382 Old 08-16-2005, 05:22 AM
#8 in 08

We use Exxon/Mobil exclusively. Primarily because my wife is a shareholder.

Of course, every now and again we use some other reputable brand (like Shell) when we're in a pinch. I avoid what I consider to be crappy gas stations (whether I'm right or wrong in my assessment) like the plague.

The Accord gets a steady diet of 87 octane.

The Odyessy gets 87 octane too. But it does ping some, so we may have to move up a grade to see how that does.

PRIOR: 1999 Accord EX-L 5M (Rear-ended & totaled)
CURRENT: 2012 Mustang GT 6M
post #12 of 382 Old 08-16-2005, 08:10 AM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamming
What? Are you serious?

Gas is made at several different refineries across the US & generally piped across the US. Of course CA is special.
The biggest difference in the different brands of gas is the additives used.
They put the additives in there after they buy the gas from the refineries or something... I forgot where I read about this, but I'll do some research if you guys are interested..

post #13 of 382 Old 08-16-2005, 09:24 AM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

Here's one article:
http://www.eia.doe.gov/neic/brochure/gas04/gasoline.htm

Look about halfway down the page at "distribution" or "From Refinery to Consumer"..

"After shipment through the pipeline, gasoline is typically held in bulk storage terminals that often service many companies. At these terminals the gasoline is loaded into tanker trucks destined for various retail gas stations. The tanks in these trucks , which can typically hold up to 10,000 gallons, usually have several compartments, enabling them to transport different grades of gasoline or petroleum products. The truck tank is where the special additive packages of gasoline retailers get blended into the gasoline to differentiate one brand from another. In some areas, ethanol may be “splash blended” in the tanker to meet environmental requirements. When the tanker truck reaches a gas station, the truck operator unloads each grade of gasoline into the appropriate underground tanks at the station. "
Attached Images

post #14 of 382 Old 08-16-2005, 12:14 PM
7th Gear and going strong

Yeah, wanna know how they add those additives? Out of a 2-gallon wash bucket. That's right, the driver takes a 2-gallon plastic bucket over to the octane spout, opens it up, and puts in some sorghum molasses-looking stuff in the bucket. He then goes over to the truck, and pours it into the tank being filled on his truck.

I found this out when I went on a coupla runs with a friend of mine years ago. I asked him how he knew how much to add, and he said, "Aww, it's all a swag, and don't matter anyways, just so long as you add a certain minimum." The bucket wasn't even marked or graduated.

And guess what else? You fine folks are running diesel fuel in your cars as we speak. What? You don't believe that? Well, guess what happens to the tanker at the last run of the day? He drains ALL of his tanks & lines into the last in-ground tank of the day. So all the super, diesel, ethanol, etc, gets mixed up and drained out. Also, if one run contains diesel, and the next delivery has none, do you think he purges/cleans the diesel out of the tanker? No. The majority gravity drains, but not 100% of it.

There's some poop for ya on a coupla deliveries I was privy to.
post #15 of 382 Old 08-16-2005, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6Hawk
Yeah, wanna know how they add those additives? Out of a 2-gallon wash bucket. That's right, the driver takes a 2-gallon plastic bucket over to the octane spout, opens it up, and puts in some sorghum molasses-looking stuff in the bucket. He then goes over to the truck, and pours it into the tank being filled on his truck.

I found this out when I went on a coupla runs with a friend of mine years ago. I asked him how he knew how much to add, and he said, "Aww, it's all a swag, and don't matter anyways, just so long as you add a certain minimum." The bucket wasn't even marked or graduated.

And guess what else? You fine folks are running diesel fuel in your cars as we speak. What? You don't believe that? Well, guess what happens to the tanker at the last run of the day? He drains ALL of his tanks & lines into the last in-ground tank of the day. So all the super, diesel, ethanol, etc, gets mixed up and drained out. Also, if one run contains diesel, and the next delivery has none, do you think he purges/cleans the diesel out of the tanker? No. The majority gravity drains, but not 100% of it.

There's some poop for ya on a coupla deliveries I was privy to.
Whatever...my car still runs Seriously, I find that it's just not worth it to worry too much. You do what you can but in the end, you just can't control everything. Don't take the game of life too seriously, 1 of 1 people will not make it out alive

Advertisement

Tags
gas type

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.