1. Will Pennzoil Ultra™ replace Pennzoil Platinum®, or will both remain available?
No. Pennzoil Platinum® is a great oil with a very loyal following. Pennzoil Ultra™ sets a new tier in engine cleansing, performance and protection.
2. Will Pennzoil® make any recommendations for extended drain intervals for Pennzoil Ultra™?
No. It is the Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM’s) who set the oil drain interval for their particular vehicle engines. Pennzoil® stands by the vehicle manufacturers recommendation, whether this is 3,000 miles or 15,000 miles. We are confident our products will excel as long as the Pennzoil® motor oil selected meets the requirements outlined in the owner’s manual. For example, Pennzoil Ultra™ Euro 5W-40 is approved by BMW, Mercedes Benz and VW for extended drain intervals.
3. What is the TBN of Pennzoil Ultra™?
TBN, varies by viscosity grade and specifications and can be within a specific range. The TBN for Pennzoil Ultra™ is approximately 11.4. At Pennzoil® we focus on the product’s overall engine performance rather than a specific analytical number.
4. What is the main anti-wear additive?
As you might expect we are not able to disclose our formulation secrets. What we can tell you is that Pennzoil Ultra™ contains a unique anti-wear system that is a variant of (ZDDP or ZDTP) Zinc DiThioPhosphate and is designed to protect the engine from wear in different ways under different operating conditions. However, this is only part of our anti-wear componentry.
5. Will the Hyper Cleaning additives be visible in a UOA (Used Oil Analysis)?
A standard UOA may not necessarily identify the Hyper Cleansing Technology™ additives.
6. Are there any other viscosities planned?
Yes. A 0W-20 viscosity will be added in the near future.
7. Will Pennzoil Ultra™ be available in 0W20, 0W30 and 0W40 grades? And will you try to make them available at retail stores when you have these grades?
Yes. A 0W-20 viscosity will be added in the near future. The 0W-30 & 0W-40 viscosity grades may be added if the OEM’s require it. We assure you when 0W-20 becomes available and if 0W-30 & 0W-40 become available, we will work with our retail customers to make these vis-grades available.
8. Pennzoil Platinum® 0W20, 0W30 and 5W40 are available only online, when do you plan to have these grades in retail stores such as Pep Boys, AutoZone, Kragen, Wal-Mart?
These vis-grades across all motor oils have not been high in demand to justify Retailers having them on the shelf. We assure you we are working with our retail customers to make these vis-grades more available as we anticipate growing demand.
9. Could you provide a VOA of Pennzoil Ultra™?
Yes. VOA’s (Viscosity Oil Analysis) already exist on the www.pennzoil.com
website. We have provided our technical data sheets for your ease of reference.
10. What type of testing methods and engines were used in the testing of Pennzoil Ultra™?
All international and OEM specific engine and bench tests required to meet the specification claims were used, as well as extensive field testing covering US, European and Japanese engines.
Pennzoil® also uses knowledge gained from taxi fleets in New York City, Las Vegas and overseas.
Our technical relationship with the professional race teams like Richard Childress and Ferrari provides additional insights into building great oils.
11. Are the base stocks group III, IV, or V?
Pennzoil Ultra™ is blended with Group III base stocks. These give superior solvency performance to Group IV base stocks, which we believe aids our aim to provide oil that delivers as close to “Factory Clean”. Rather than focus on any single component in the formulation, we focus on the end product.
12. Has Pennzoil Ultra™ been tested against European ACEA standards?
The TDS (Technical Data Sheets) on the Pennzoil® website currently shows the three of the six Pennzoil Ultra™ viscosity grades that meet the North American and Asian standards. The European versions of Pennzoil Ultra™ indeed exceed all of the relevant ACEA specifications and European OEM specifications. Thank you for drawing this to our attention. We will add all TDS sheets to our website.
13. A VOA performed on this board showed a significant amount of boron in the formulation of Pennzoil Ultra™.
The function of the boron in Pennzoil Ultra™ formulations is one of protection for non-ferrous metals and sealing materials.
14. Has Pennzoil® incorporated any type of Esters into the base oil blend for Pennzoil Ultra™?
No ester base oils were used or are required in the Pennzoil Ultra™ range.
15. Will Pennzoil Ultra™ Euro 5W-40 replace the Pennzoil Platinum® Euro 5W-40? When will we see the Pennzoil Ultra™ 5W-40 in stores?
In the near future we will only have Pennzoil Ultra™ Euro 5W-40. We are working with our retail customers to make these vis-grades available.
16. Do you plan on lowering the price of Pennzoil Ultra™ to be more competitive?
Pennzoil Ultra™ is our most advanced motor oil with exceptional cleansing, protection and performance. We also have our next best oil, Pennzoil Platinum® for those who are seeking a great synthetic motor oil at a more affordable price.
17. You state that Pennzoil Ultra™ already meets the new SN standards. As a current user of Pennzoil® Conventional motor oil, will you be upgrading your other product lines, Pennzoil Platinum®, Pennzoil® Conventional, etc to the SN standard anytime in the near future as well?
Yes, we will and always do upgrade Pennzoil® motor oils when the industry specifications are upgraded. Members of our technology group participate and lead in various industry committees that define oil specifications. We will have our products ready for the upcoming needs of our industry.
18. If it is not proprietary, can you say with no ambiguity, Pennzoil Ultra™ (as well as other Pennzoil oils) made only from what is known as "Pennsylvania crude" coming from Pennsylvania, and the surrounding states?
No, we do not use 100% Pennsylvania crude in Pennzoil® motor oil. Let’s put it this way. Even if the Pennsylvania crude oil was the absolute best crude oil, the volume is simply not there to keep up with our current demand. We have the formulation expertise to build exactly what we need at any of our plants.
19. Will you produce a special version of Pennzoil Ultra™ made with group IV and or group V true synthetic base stocks?
At Pennzoil our goal is to make synthetic motor oils that provide performance for our consumers that is not available from conventional or synthetic blends. All Group III, IV & V base stocks are considered synthetic. They all have attributes in terms of lubricant performance. E.g. Solvency, film strength, film thickness, wear performance, etc. Our formulators use one or a combination of base stocks with the required characteristics to meet whatever the challenge we are facing.
20. Has Pennzoil® incorporated any type of Esters into the base oil blend for Pennzoil Ultra™?
No ester base oils were used or are required in the Pennzoil Ultra™ range.
21. How much of Pennzoil Ultra™ technology was derived from racing with your partnerships with RCR?
As you can imagine, the NASCAR engines begin in pristine condition because each component must function with precise clarity as originally engineered. The real technical benefit of working with the NASCAR team has been their perspective on which formulations perform well or do not perform well, which has allowed us to better understand how each component impacts the overall formulation.
22. Why are European Grades different from that sold in the USA -- Different as in lower quality?
The European oils are not inferior or superior to those sold in the United States. They are two separate systems and meet different engine performance requirements. In the US, one of the top requirements for engine oils is that they must contribute to fuel efficiency. European engines require different types of oil in terms of (HTHS) High Temperature High Shear, viscosity and also application. Europe also has a large light duty diesel engine fleet.
Each system is balanced to favor issues that exist with regard to the types of engines, fuels and driving habits in each market. Thus the testing reflects these differences and oils are formulated to provide protection and cleanliness based on the demands of each system.
23. Can you please provide HT/HS?
High Temperature High Shear (HTHS) varies with viscosity grade. Pennzoil Ultra™ 5W-20 =2.7, Pennzoil Ultra™ 5W-30 = 3.0, Pennzoil Ultra™ 10W-30 = 3.0, Pennzoil Ultra™ Euro 5W-30 = 3.5, Pennzoil Ultra™ Euro 5W-40 = 3.7, Pennzoil Ultra™ Euro 10W-60 and Pennzoil Ultra™ Racing = 4.7.
24. When will Pennzoil Ultra™ be available in Canada?
Unfortunately, we have not yet launched Pennzoil Ultra™ in Canada. We do plan to do so in the near future.
25. Will there be a Pennzoil Ultra™ synthetic ATF?
Cool idea! We’ll see.