Honda Oil Weight Chart - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 07-07-2011, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Honda Oil Weight Chart

Credit goes to Cookieman214 for this. He wasn't sure how to post it. Seems like I've seen this on here before but it did not go to 2011.
Thanks Cookieman.

Attached Images

ladyshandon likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to RTexasF For This Useful Post:
ladyshandon (05-12-2015)
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-07-2011, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

The claims are up to 2% better fuel mileage and slightly faster circulation in extreme cold weather starts. In actual use you may or may not actually see the MPG benefit.

post #3 of 27 Old 07-07-2011, 05:29 AM
7th Gear

Would you get better mileage by using -10W-0W

and driving with your hood partially opened?
jericho40 likes this.

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS

post #4 of 27 Old 07-07-2011, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd914 View Post
Screw it id rather pay 21 dollars for my oil change at honda, i jus called and tey said the 0w-20 is 40 bucks to change
The price difference is conventional oil vs synthetic. Synthetic always costs more.
post #5 of 27 Old 10-03-2011, 03:31 PM
D.Russ

okay so i have a question if i have a 99 accord could i still use 0w-20 im not trying to cause any engine harm im going off this by looking at the chart since ow-20 was not recommended for my year model
post #6 of 27 Old 10-03-2011, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

What purpose would it serve ? I'd stick with 5W30 if it were mine just as Honda shows in the chart. There is no advantage in changing to a lower viscosity on a 99 year model or they would have approved it. Use what the chart says.
post #7 of 27 Old 10-04-2011, 12:03 PM
D.Russ

alright thanks
post #8 of 27 Old 02-29-2012, 01:56 PM
1st Gear

Send a message via MSN to Kadette Send a message via Skype™ to Kadette
Eey guys my current ride, is an Accord 2003 EX V6 2doors with just 40,000km wich oil do you think could be the ideal?

With my previous rid an astra 2005 I made the oil replacement with Liqui Moly sintetic.

Do you think I can still using the same brand liqui Moly?

regards
KDF

Accord 2003 EX Coupe
post #9 of 27 Old 07-26-2012, 07:46 PM

This is an old thread but since someone created a new one and this came up I might as well give my input.

Since the 0W-20 is listed as acceptable, I tried it and burned about 1.5 quarts over the OCI. I followed the MM to 15%. Last change I went back to 5W-20 and didn't use anything noticeable over the same amount of miles.
jericho40 likes this.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #10 of 27 Old 11-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Spinning 18s

Just my personal experience not any recommendation.

Have owned nearly 2 dozen cars, Not always been on par, more like sup par when it comes to timely oil changes. Although Only 1 car has blown an engine. It was the 1st and only car I have used full syn ( mobil 1.)

ANYWAY

Owned a 2002 Chrysler 300m
In 2006 I decided to swap to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic and a few years later the engine blew. Maybe a coincidence maybe not. Since then I have refused to put full syn in any of my vehicles. I am now programed to change oil at 4k - 5k.
Continue using what you chose and may you experience positive results.

2010 Honda Accord EX L V6
Charcoal w/ Black Leather
18 Inch Rockway
4100k 51w Xtream White Plus Headlights
19% (Suntek) InfinityOP (CXP)
post #11 of 27 Old 11-15-2012, 09:50 AM
No lifetime fluids!

I poked around and found this one. Goes up to 2012.

Says 5W-20 is acceptable for the late 90's Accord and Civic.

Hmm.... I'd still only run a 30 weight in them. But then again some claim that some 30 weights shear down to 20 weights in 1,500 miles and that 20 weights are incredibly shear resistant...

Reminds me sooo much of the 20 weight CAFE spec for the 3.0 OHV Vulcan motors in the Taurus and Sables, they weren't different inside, Ford just wanted to get a little bit better MPG out of them.
Attached Images

'09 LX 5MT Sedan - ASM/BLK
V1, OEM splash guards, leather wheel, trendgear fogs custom install
'87 Regal with an LSx
post #12 of 27 Old 09-03-2015, 10:24 PM
King of road noise

I had my 2010 Accord I-4 oil changed in Tyler Texas JOD Honda today. I asked them what weight and they told me 5-20. I just noticed they put the wrong oil in it 0-20. I have the owners manual that says 5-20 weight. How stupid can a dealership be? I will never trust them again. I will be calling them tomorrow for a refund and do it myself. My car has not been using oil at all but suspect it will if I do not change it myself by a professional, myself. I got a letter this week about 2008-2012 accords using oil but my has not. Are they a bunch of retards? I asked about the oil weight before having it done. Will I have trouble getting a refund and gas for a 130 mile round trip or will they send my payment back or argue. I already have the terrible road noise from the Doral cheap tires they put on it. It was supposed to be a certified used car but doubt that now. I just want my money refunded so I can do it right myself. I dislike Hondas more and more. I read that 0-20 is acceptable but not what the factory that built it recommended. I guess they want it to wear out quicker and they think I will buy another car from them. I WILL NOT!!! The last time a cheap DORAL tire blew out the sidewall they stole my lug wrench but did replace it. Glad I did not need before then. I do regret buying this car because of the enormous road noise. I have been wanting to sell it for months now. I am ready for an American truck now. The low profile tires just ruins it for me. It bottoms out and has blown 2 rear tires because they are low profile. Pissed in east Texas.

2010 Honda Accord EX-L 4 auto
post #13 of 27 Old 09-04-2015, 05:13 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericho40 View Post
I had my 2010 Accord I-4 oil changed in Tyler Texas JOD Honda today. I asked them what weight and they told me 5-20. I just noticed they put the wrong oil in it 0-20. I have the owners manual that says 5-20 weight. How stupid can a dealership be? I will never trust them again. I will be calling them tomorrow for a refund and do it myself. My car has not been using oil at all but suspect it will if I do not change it myself by a professional, myself. I got a letter this week about 2008-2012 accords using oil but my has not. Are they a bunch of retards? I asked about the oil weight before having it done. Will I have trouble getting a refund and gas for a 130 mile round trip or will they send my payment back or argue. I already have the terrible road noise from the Doral cheap tires they put on it. It was supposed to be a certified used car but doubt that now. I just want my money refunded so I can do it right myself. I dislike Hondas more and more. I read that 0-20 is acceptable but not what the factory that built it recommended. I guess they want it to wear out quicker and they think I will buy another car from them. I WILL NOT!!! The last time a cheap DORAL tire blew out the sidewall they stole my lug wrench but did replace it. Glad I did not need before then. I do regret buying this car because of the enormous road noise. I have been wanting to sell it for months now. I am ready for an American truck now. The low profile tires just ruins it for me. It bottoms out and has blown 2 rear tires because they are low profile. Pissed in east Texas.
Whoa whoa whoa, first thing is first. Take your blood pressure meds you forgot to take earlier.

After that settles you down, realize that especially in a warmer climate, like Texas, either 0w20 or 5w20 will protect equally, even in 100+ temperatures going up hill with the AC on. My 05 was originally recommended for 5w20 but I've ran 0w20 in the most extreme conditions with no problems and no oil consumption as of current with 150K+ miles. Settle down Beavis.

Plus, if you're capable of changing your oil yourself, and it sounds like you're OCD about it like most people on this forum, why didn't you change it yourself to start with?

Seriously dude, you're going to be alright.
post #14 of 27 Old 09-04-2015, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericho40 View Post
YOU ARE WAY out of line here. You are showing your oil ignorance to the extreme. BOTH oils are acceptable as the charts above clearly show.. Now if they told you 5W20 but installed 0W20 and charged you more than quoted you have a case. They installed a full synthetic if I'm reading your rant correctly. You have no case whatsoever unless they charged you excessively.

You are pissed at yourself for buying this car instead of a 'Merican Truck so knock it off hayseed. You make me sad that you're a Texan. I used 0W20 in my 2004 from the first oil change so what is your problem? It wasn't even heard of back then......it worked perfectly just as it will in your car.
post #15 of 27 Old 09-05-2015, 07:41 AM
King of road noise

You say I am way out of line for following the HONDA service manual. I was overcharged because I have to buy 130 miles worth of gas and spend another day going out of town. You sound like any old oil would be alright to use in my car. Well why even give me a servive manual and just guess on what to do. I am now on my way to Tyler to get the oil changed today when I should be relaxing at home. So get off your high horse buddy and learn to read. Jeff

2010 Honda Accord EX-L 4 auto
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.