Synthetic Oil Discussion Thread - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #16 of 87 Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by namegoeshere View Post
I'll bet you I can pull up at least a dozen threads that prove otherwise.
C'mon man, you know I did that before I posted this. Here are the results of my "synthetic oil" search in 9th Gen.

Modesty prevents me from saying who the author is of the only thread in the search.

I am sure mention has been made about synthetics in other oil threads just as I have mentioned magnets there too.

I am sure you can pull some discussion from some arcane search title, but only one thread shows when searching "synthetic oil" so here we are.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
Advertisement

post #17 of 87 Old 11-29-2012, 08:44 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
....the results of my "synthetic oil" search in 9th Gen....
I thought your name should be John 12:49a (NIV).

BTW you have the craziest looking avatar......it has a creepy look.

2011 Accord Sedan LX 5-spd Alabaster Silver
Acura rear sway bar 17mm upgrade
Keeping it stock hoping to run it 200,000 miles.
post #18 of 87 Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
C'mon man, you know I did that before I posted this. Here are the results of my "synthetic oil" search in 9th Gen.
You should have expanded your search beyond the 9th Generation section and checked in the Fluid Dynamics section which is where oil discussions should go.

Here's a few I found for you in case you wanted to see what's been said previously.

What is your favorite synthetic oil brand?
synthetic oil
Synthetic Oil
best synthetic oil for 2010 honda accord exl?
Anyone use Pennzoil Ultra?
Best Brand Oil
Synthetic Oil? Reccomendations?
i had a question about synthetic oil

And I'll sticky this thread as the official synthetic oil thread for you too.

Quote:
^^^^ I am liking the Penzoil Platinum the more I learn about it.
That's my preferred synthetic oil

- easily available
- very good quality oil
- awesome price (since I got mine mostly free or close to it thanks to numerous coupons and rebates offered by Walmart and Pennzoil over the years)

post #19 of 87 Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cord_sleeps View Post
I used and still do use castrol syntec however thats changed abit and now called castrol edge with syntec technology i have yet to try it apprently its newly formulated ,i have 5 qrtss waiting my my oil change next week....but always wanted to know castrol's synthetics vs mobil 1 is there a huggee difference cuz i m tempted to swtich ovr..

As for filters i use napas which basically are produced by WIX...
I love the Napa Gold filter by Wix. Napa has a 10% AAA discount on everything.

going to try an oversized filter (perhaps S2000) to compensate for Honda's lawnmower sized filter on most of their cars. When a filter is full or has restricted flow past some threshold, it is in bypass mode, at which point there is NO filtraion. Seems more likely with a tiny filter.

Never been a fan of Castrol despite BMW's recommendation. Years ago IIRC Castrol had a sludge issue but I don't think it was Syntec.

Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #20 of 87 Old 11-29-2012, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by namegoeshere View Post
You should have expanded your search beyond the 9th Generation section and checked in the Fluid Dynamics section which is where oil discussions should go.

Here's a few I found for you in case you wanted to see what's been said previously.

What is your favorite synthetic oil brand?
synthetic oil
Synthetic Oil
best synthetic oil for 2010 honda accord exl?
Anyone use Pennzoil Ultra?
Best Brand Oil
Synthetic Oil? Reccomendations?
i had a question about synthetic oil

And I'll sticky this thread as the official synthetic oil thread for you too.

That's my preferred synthetic oil

- easily available
- very good quality oil
- awesome price (since I got mine mostly free or close to it thanks to numerous coupons and rebates offered by Walmart and Pennzoil over the years)
Cool, I guess you need to know where to look-fluid dynamics, I'll be dogged.

post #21 of 87 Old 11-29-2012, 09:51 AM
No lifetime fluids!

Quote:
Never been a fan of Castrol despite BMW's recommendation. Years ago IIRC Castrol had a sludge issue but I don't think it was Syntec.
LOL. All that comes to mind is the commercial with the two guys on the couch getting hit with sludge.

'09 LX 5MT Sedan - ASM/BLK
V1, OEM splash guards, leather wheel, trendgear fogs custom install
'87 Regal with an LSx
post #22 of 87 Old 11-29-2012, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete240z View Post
I thought your name should be John 12:49a (NIV).

BTW you have the craziest looking avatar......it has a creepy look.
Jn 12:49a is very clever

I wish I could say the avatar is an original of mine but I found the pic years ago somewhere and it is just odd enough for me to claim.

post #23 of 87 Old 11-29-2012, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat View Post
LOL. All that comes to mind is the commercial with the two guys on the couch getting hit with sludge.
Irony can be so ironic sometimes.

post #24 of 87 Old 11-30-2012, 11:40 AM
No Gears, Got CVT :)

I used Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 5W20 for almost 10 years in my 2003 Accord and plan to use the 0W20 in my 2013 Accord. It is presently about $25 for a 5 quarts jug at Wall Mart. I would like to use Pennzoil Ultra synthetic but it does not presently come in 0W20. I wonder why not?

Both have free engine warranties. Platinum has a 10 years/300,000. While Ultra has a 15 years/500,000 miles warranty. I’m not sure how good the warranties are, they may only be good for bragging rights.

2013 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl CVT. Photos, Price paid.

My Previous new Accords:
1977 Accord Hatchback 2Dr CVCC 4Cyl MT
1986 Accord LX-i 2Dr 4Cyl MT
1994 Accord LX 2Dr 4Cyl MT
2003 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl MT

Photos of cars I owned/drove.
My YouTube MikesHDVideos Channel.

My opinion on Honda's Extended Care Warranty.
Navi FAQ. Info about aftermarket HomeLink.
post #25 of 87 Old 12-01-2012, 12:57 PM
No lifetime fluids!

I wasn't going to post when this was in 9th gen but since it was moved to FD I guess it won't hurt if I put my .02 in.

I use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20 and a Honda A01 filter. Get the oil at Walmart for $18.33 a 5qt jug and a filter for about $5.00 a piece from eBay (usually order 6 pack from some dealer w/ free shipping). It's a good combo that works well and isn't too bad on the pocket.

I used to use AMSOIL but realized I'm spending 3x more than I need to be. I now spend my savings on nice date night with the GF, some drinks or maybe a new computer part.

'87 Regal with an LSx
post #26 of 87 Old 12-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Done Accordingly

Quote:
I love the Napa Gold filter by Wix. Napa has a 10% AAA discount on everything.

going to try an oversized filter (perhaps S2000) to compensate for Honda's lawnmower sized filter on most of their cars. When a filter is full or has restricted flow past some threshold, it is in bypass mode, at which point there is NO filtraion. Seems more likely with a tiny filter.

Oh shoot i see, nvr heard of sludge issue, yea personally nvr had a problem altho have been using Syntec from them,what do you think of their GTX line ? is it ok or still could cause issues? I want to recommand it to a friend.

'07 Accord EX-L w/Navi

-L.E.D-Interior,Licence plate, reverse lights & Turn signals
-D.I.Y Backup Camera
-35% Tint
-O.E.M Hood deflector
-V6 Battery Upgrade
-20mm TL 6MT RSB w\moog endlinks
-TSX IM
-Custom ground upgrade

Future Mods:

-CAI/SRI
-03-05 front lip
post #27 of 87 Old 12-02-2012, 09:50 PM
No lifetime fluids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cord_sleeps View Post
Oh shoot i see, nvr heard of sludge issue, yea personally nvr had a problem altho have been using Syntec from them,what do you think of their GTX line ? is it ok or still could cause issues? I want to recommand it to a friend.
I like GTX. I used it in my '94 LeSabre and my '07 Taurus and would use it in my Accord too. Never an issue.

'87 Regal with an LSx
post #28 of 87 Old 12-04-2012, 03:14 PM
4th Gear

Genuine Honda Synthetic Oil?

Hey, guys I just did an oil change today on the accord and I was at the dealership getting a filter, noticed that the genuine Honda full synthetic oil is cheaper then Mobil 1, so i decided to try it out, I do not know too much on the oil but i would think it would be okay, I just wanted to know if anyone else knows anything on it. I heard on our J-Series Engines, they're no point in using synthetic oil, cause the oils are not meant for our engines, I've heard in the past that the oils from dealerships are only semi-synthetic. I've been looking through the forum and I havnt seen anything on this oil. Must be new? Any detail will help, thanks cause I want to see if I should just keep using this Honda oil because its cheaper, or go back to using Mobil 1 full synthetic.

thanks
Attached Images

"None are more hopelessly enslaved then those who falsely believe they are free" - Goethe

Current Car: 2007 Accord V6 3.0L EX AT (W/O Navi)
post #29 of 87 Old 12-04-2012, 03:16 PM
2006 I4 MT

Someone is going to come by and tell you check on bill is the oil guy.com. Just wait for it.

2006 Accord LX Coupe I4 MT (sold)
post #30 of 87 Old 12-04-2012, 03:26 PM
4th Gear

Do you know if the Honda oil is comparable to Mobil 1? and Do you recommend switching to 0w-20 in the summer?

"None are more hopelessly enslaved then those who falsely believe they are free" - Goethe

Current Car: 2007 Accord V6 3.0L EX AT (W/O Navi)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.