Synthetic Oil Discussion Thread - Page 4 - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #46 of 87 Old 12-17-2012, 04:57 PM
6th Gear

i'm going for 0w/20 valvoline synpower full synthetic with stock non-s2k filters every 3,000 miles, mainly because i get the oil for free.

i don't trust the maintenance minder oil change interval system, seen too many stretched timing chains...

Advertisement

post #47 of 87 Old 01-20-2013, 05:11 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaTechAV6 View Post
i'm going for 0w/20 valvoline synpower full synthetic with stock non-s2k filters every 3,000 miles, mainly because i get the oil for free.

i don't trust the maintenance minder oil change interval system, seen too many stretched timing chains...
Synpower is very good oil.

05 EX I4
post #48 of 87 Old 02-18-2013, 03:39 PM
JB3
2nd Gear

I'm going to use Mazda 0W-20 G5 SN With Molly. My MM says my oil is at 50% and I have 3,000 miles but I picked up a case of this Mazda oil at my local Mazda dealer for $7.00/Qt last Saturday. This oil has a very high viscosity index of 221 which means the difference between its hot and cold viscosity is very little compared to an oil with a low viscosisty index which will thicken more when it gets cold. It also has lots of moly which is a very good anti-wear additive.

post #49 of 87 Old 02-19-2013, 02:09 PM
No Gears, Got CVT :)

Mazda 0W-20 G5 SN With Molly

I'm also going to use Mazda 0W-20 G5 SN With Molly for my first oil change. I picked up 5 quarts for $7.18 each.

More info in this thread:
Solution to changing factory oil early
Attached Images

2013 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl CVT. Photos, Price paid.

My Previous new Accords:
1977 Accord Hatchback 2Dr CVCC 4Cyl MT
1986 Accord LX-i 2Dr 4Cyl MT
1994 Accord LX 2Dr 4Cyl MT
2003 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl MT

Photos of cars I owned/drove.
My YouTube MikesHDVideos Channel.

My opinion on Honda's Extended Care Warranty.
Navi FAQ. Info about aftermarket HomeLink.
post #50 of 87 Old 02-20-2013, 04:10 AM
No lifetime fluids!

Looks impressive. I will have to give it a shot, but not until I'm done with my 27 quarts of Toyota 0W-20, LOL. That'll be a while.

Researching, reading and trying new oils is fun. Keeps me entertained and not doing bad things.

'09 LX 5MT Sedan - ASM/BLK
V1, OEM splash guards, leather wheel, trendgear fogs custom install
'87 Regal with an LSx
post #51 of 87 Old 02-20-2013, 04:34 PM
No Gears, Got CVT :)

Yesterday Toyota oil was in, today is Mazda. By the time you use up your 27 quarts, maybe Honda oil will be in. LOL

2013 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl CVT. Photos, Price paid.

My Previous new Accords:
1977 Accord Hatchback 2Dr CVCC 4Cyl MT
1986 Accord LX-i 2Dr 4Cyl MT
1994 Accord LX 2Dr 4Cyl MT
2003 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl MT

Photos of cars I owned/drove.
My YouTube MikesHDVideos Channel.

My opinion on Honda's Extended Care Warranty.
Navi FAQ. Info about aftermarket HomeLink.
post #52 of 87 Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 PM
3rd Gear

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2917858

BITOG members are seen Mobil 1 5W-20 High Mileage

14 EX V6 MSM
04 EX V6 Green Pearl (died at 285K miles)
post #53 of 87 Old 07-24-2013, 06:49 PM
My Dream car! 13 EX-L

Oil threads will soon be a "thing of the past".

http://www.google.com/patents/US4872432

Air compressors are proof.
post #54 of 87 Old 07-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Mass Effect

Meh, doesnt matter to me anymore. I used to drive nothing but trucks and did all my own maintenance but now that Im an Accord man, I cant get under my car to change my oil so I just take it to my Honda dealer and let them do it. Im getting Penzoil Platinum 0w20 and Honda filter for $50 while I sit in their air conditioned waiting room browsing around on their free WiFi, drinking one of their free Cokes while thinking to myself how happy I am that I wont have to clean up the 2 quarts I ALWAYS managed to spill on the garage floor.

2012 Accord EX Sedan • 190 HP 2.4 I4 • 5 speed auto
post #55 of 87 Old 11-13-2013, 11:20 AM
3rd Gear

This topic is like ...well everyone has an opinion. Here is my experience.

I have been using Mobil 1 pretty much exclusively on my cars mostly because its usually the cheapest and most readily availably via a 5 quart jug at Wallyworld.

In my 1991 Sentra SE-R, at 120k miles I removed the valve cover to change the gasket (it had leaked since new, not a fault of the oil) and the top of the head was clean, looked like a new engine. I was changing the oil every 3k miles cause I was young and anal. To this date, it doesnt leak. USed only Nissan OEM filters.

On my 2006 RSX Type S, I had only used Mobil 1 with Honda filters changing every 5k. the car was borrowed and never returned at 60k miles and did not drop or seep a hint of oil anywhere up to that point. Never burned oil, and inside the oil filler cap, things looked clean.

There is probably less difference among different synthetic brands than there is between synthetic and conventional. Synthetics have a better base and higher quality additives that do a better job of keeping engine internals clean and seals lubricated. Since I change the oil myself, it basically cost me the same to so a synthetic oil change vs taking my car somewhere and paying for a conventional oil change. I think synthetics are well worth the extra money seeing as oil is pretty important for the life of an engine.
post #56 of 87 Old 12-19-2013, 07:01 PM
5th Gear

I've used Mobil 1 5w-20 today for the first time. I'll stick with synthetic from here on and may be move to Mobil 1 5w-20 High Mileage from my next oil change with OEM Honda Filters only.

2012 Toyota Avalon Limited, Magnetic Grey - Wife's Car
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, Alabaster Silver - Family Hauler/My daily ride
2003 Accord EXV6, 5AT Sedan- Sold

Current OEM: Moonroof Visor, Window Visors, Roof Rails, Crossbars, Body Side Moldings, Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Door-Sill Garnish, All-Weather Floor Mats, Wheel Locks
Future OEM: Remote Engine Start

"Performance modifications are not worth the hassle on an old daily ride. Buy a performance car instead " - Accord_Rules
post #57 of 87 Old 12-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Bout it, Bout it

Although my 02 isn't really picky about oils, I find it is a tad quieter when running Pennzoil Ultra. Other times, she mainly sees M1 or QSUD.

2002 Honda Accord EX-L SULEV -- 200K miles
2013 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD -- 35K miles
2002 Infiniti I35 -- 120K miles VQ35 BABY!
post #58 of 87 Old 01-10-2014, 08:43 AM
Low Gear

Just a question. Synthetics will have a longer interval.

Do you guys see any benefit if I was to change the oil filter half way during this (extended) interval?

Summary.

1 oil change. 2 oil filters.

2014 Odyssey Touring Elite
post #59 of 87 Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post
. . . Do you guys see any benefit if I was to change the oil filter half way during this (extended) interval? . . . [i.e.]
1 oil change. 2 oil filters.
No. Although it may seem counterintuitive, oil filters become ever more effective over time until eventually, if left unchanged, they go into by-pass mode. That, however, is not going to happen during the two OCIs that Honda recommends before changing the filter. Indeed, it's because oil filters become more effective over time that Honda recommends leaving them in place for two oil changes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanic For This Useful Post:
GoLowDrew (01-10-2014)
post #60 of 87 Old 02-04-2014, 02:44 PM
5th Gear

My car always has a tick tick tick tick noise on cold starts (ambient temperatures under 60F). It's been like that ever since I've owned it. I did a BG109 'flush' on my engine before the last oil change and started using Mobil1 5w-20 synthetic. I'm now very glad to note that the tick tick tick tick sound had gotten less and less as I continued to put miles on my car and during last week's freezing temperatures, there is no tick tick sound whatsoever. The sound has completely disappeared. I think synthetic oil is just wonderful. I've decided to shift to Honda Genuine Synthetic from my next oil change as that oil will be specific for Honda Engines with the needed 'additive' package which Mobil1 cannot provide.

2012 Toyota Avalon Limited, Magnetic Grey - Wife's Car
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, Alabaster Silver - Family Hauler/My daily ride
2003 Accord EXV6, 5AT Sedan- Sold

Current OEM: Moonroof Visor, Window Visors, Roof Rails, Crossbars, Body Side Moldings, Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Door-Sill Garnish, All-Weather Floor Mats, Wheel Locks
Future OEM: Remote Engine Start

"Performance modifications are not worth the hassle on an old daily ride. Buy a performance car instead " - Accord_Rules
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.