Synthetic Oil Discussion Thread - Page 6 - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #76 of 85 Old 02-08-2014, 10:52 AM
5th Gear

@cookieman214, since I'm not that Honda Engineer and since I have no evidences that a Honda Engineer has when he was testing his engines with different metal contents, what all I can do is make some reasonable assumptions when Honda decides on an oil with its accompanying metal contents. To see how valid and reliable my assumptions are, as an outsider, I have no choice but to fall back on lab results of VOAs. I'm curious to know if there are any differences in the VOAs of different oils. If there are any differences, then do we ignore them? If we ignore them, then why do a lab analysis in the first place? I think some people decide to ignore the analysis because they already made up their mind about which oil they want to use. As far as I'm concerned, I didn't make up my mind and I'm always willing to inform myself and make informed decisions. I have some pointed questions and I'm looking for answers. So far, the answer that is being given most commonly is 'sales pitch'. That doesn't sound the least bit convincing in the wake of the glaring differences in metal contents between HGMO and other generic oils.

Even if this is a 'sales pitch', my local dealership sells me 5 quarts HGMO 5W-20 synthetic for $31 + tax (Nearly 30% off MSRP). Walmart sells 5 quarts jug M1 5W-20 synthetic for $25.17 + tax. That's just $6 I'll be paying more for OEM oil until I get compelling reasons to use generic oils. For now, I'm with the car manufacturer.

2012 Toyota Avalon Limited, Magnetic Grey - Wife's Car
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, Alabaster Silver - Family Hauler/My daily ride
2003 Accord EXV6, 5AT Sedan- Sold

Current OEM: Moonroof Visor, Window Visors, Roof Rails, Crossbars, Body Side Moldings, Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Door-Sill Garnish, All-Weather Floor Mats, Wheel Locks
Future OEM: Remote Engine Start

"Performance modifications are not worth the hassle on an old daily ride. Buy a performance car instead " - Accord_Rules
Advertisement

post #77 of 85 Old 02-08-2014, 01:08 PM
4th Gear

Accord Rules, before I go any further, I must ask a personal question...Do you love spending time with your wife?

The reason I ask, I am going to give you a link to a website that will consume all of your computer time, and make you a stranger to your wife.

Bobistheoilguy.com

You will spend hours reading oil and filter related posts. Sign up, it is free, and watch your marriage deteriorate before your eyes.

Here is a link to used oil reports. Browse and find any type of oil you can think of.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...sis_-_Gasoline

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.
post #78 of 85 Old 02-08-2014, 03:30 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieman214 View Post
Accord Rules, before I go any further, I must ask a personal question...Do you love spending time with your wife?

The reason I ask, I am going to give you a link to a website that will consume all of your computer time, and make you a stranger to your wife.

Bobistheoilguy.com

You will spend hours reading oil and filter related posts. Sign up, it is free, and watch your marriage deteriorate before your eyes.

Here is a link to used oil reports. Browse and find any type of oil you can think of.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...sis_-_Gasoline

I love to find out about oils. I just started finding about them over the last couple of days. Lol.....We Indians already have the game of Cricket to ruin our family lives. Thanks for the link anyway. Cheers...

2012 Toyota Avalon Limited, Magnetic Grey - Wife's Car
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, Alabaster Silver - Family Hauler/My daily ride
2003 Accord EXV6, 5AT Sedan- Sold

Current OEM: Moonroof Visor, Window Visors, Roof Rails, Crossbars, Body Side Moldings, Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Door-Sill Garnish, All-Weather Floor Mats, Wheel Locks
Future OEM: Remote Engine Start

"Performance modifications are not worth the hassle on an old daily ride. Buy a performance car instead " - Accord_Rules
post #79 of 85 Old 03-11-2014, 05:11 PM
CITIUS::INFERIUS::FORTIUS

First DIY oil change is on the horizon for my 9G V6 Sedan. Going to order a Fumoto valve and synthetic oil soon and was wondering if anyone has experienced any plus or minuses yet with any brand SPECIFICALLY regarding their 9th gen V6. I'm sure some of you '13s have changed your oil at least a few times already. Anyone used different oil brands on theirs and notice any differences? On my old TL, I would just buy whatever was on sale, but just curious...

2014 White Orchid Pearl/Ivory Accord EX-L V6 Sedan w/o Navi - CR3 Baby
--->FULL MOD INFO LIST LINK
--->PICS

Fav Mods:
Auto Shifter Mod
Plasti-Dip Chrome Grill Inserts
CR3 Vinyl Decals by KrptacrD
Gloss Black Vinyl Roof
ExLED Interior+Plate Lights
5000k Morimoto HIDs
2500k Nokya Yellow Fogs
V-LED V3 Triton Switchbacks
Takeda Black SRI
TEIN SB Coilovers+SPC 3-arm Rear Camber Kit
5G TLX V6 FWD 25.4mm (Hollow) RSB
AFD Splitters
8G Accord 19" HFP Wheels
H&R DRM 25mm Rear Spacers
post #80 of 85 Old 03-12-2014, 06:42 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

On another site (Bobistheoilguy) several have mentioned that the Fumoto valve does not let all of the oil drain. They found this out by leaving the car overnight with the drain open then removing it completely. More oil immediately came out. If this is so it could certainly cause an accidental overfill by assuming all the oil drained out. Just food for thought.
post #81 of 85 Old 03-12-2014, 06:09 PM
4th Gear

I was using mobile 1 and i SWEAR my car felt a big sluggish throughout the powerband..Valvoline full synthetic corrected that..

Ill never go back to mobile 1 again

I dont have any data to back me up..sorry If i offended any mobile 1 guys
post #82 of 85 Old 03-13-2014, 09:16 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

only with the spelling......It's MOBIL 1.
post #83 of 85 Old 10-15-2015, 05:47 PM
Long live the manual

Garage
Question Synthetic oil difference ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cD5myeleanor View Post
I was using mobile 1 and i SWEAR my car felt a big sluggish throughout the powerband..Valvoline full synthetic corrected that..
Your Buttometer detected this difference ? Was it recently calibrated ?
Catfisha likes this.

2014 Honda Accord Coupe V6 EXL 6 speed manual
------------------------------------------------
Horn Upgrade from College Hills
LED Fog Lights
LED Interior Lights
Hidden Hitch
post #84 of 85 Old 10-15-2015, 06:12 PM
4th Gear

Garage
I use Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 with a Fram Ultra oil filter. I use the oil filter for two oil change intervals. PPPP (Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus) is a very stout oil with a good add pack aimed at cleaning. I have yet to run a full OCI on my new to me Accord but oil changes will be every 5K miles / or 15% on the MM, whichever comes first, along with a filter change every other oil change (10K mile filter interval). This combo should lead to no oil related issues.

2012 Honda Accord EX-L "Jazmine"
42K miles
PPPP 0w20 / Fram Ultra
post #85 of 85 Old 10-16-2015, 05:55 AM
6th Gear

If you change your oil with any name brand oil you should not have any oil related issue.............
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.