Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Brake Pedal Pulsating

18K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  listen to remix 
#1 ·
i've been lurking around the forums for quite some time now, but finally registered.
1. I noticed that from a stop i let the car roll, no gas pressed, and if i press the brake then it pulsates while its pushed in. has anyone else noticed that?

2. When im coming to a stop from regular speed (40-45mph) then the car kind of jerks a little when the brakes are pressed, im thinking when the gearbox is downshifting. I notice that everytime i drive the car but when im in the passenger seat, when gf is driving, then either im not paying any attention, or maybe it isnt happening, i dunno.

any suggestions on this? i cant take the car to the dealership unless i really need to, becasue it is my daily and plus i get off work only 20 minutes before the dealership closes.

#4 ·
How many miles on the car? Do you still have original brake pads?

With the Accords, the front brakes "warp" quite easily. Although, I'm under the impression that they rarely actually warp, I'll explain in a bit.

Brake rotor warping occurs when you heat up the brakes to a very high degree from hard use (sometimes abuse). Hard use is a situation where you are coming to a more or less sudden stop from highway speeds, ie. Slowing down from 80mph to 40mph in a sudden maneuver. The heat that is produced by the friction makes the rotor more malleable and therefore more prone to change shape slightly. This isn't always the case, in fact, i think this case is pretty rare. I think more often than not, the brake pad material melts onto the rotor and creates an uneven braking surface, therefore giving you the pulsation. In order to remove the deposit, you can take some sand paper and clean the rotors braking surface with it in a light, circular motion. And, there is no need to use a low grit sand paper. Use a finer grit sand paper because it is more gentle.

Occasionally, the deposit is small and will work itself out with the use of the brakes. However, if this problem has been happening for a while, you'll need to take action and use the sand paper procedure and if your rotor is actually warped, you may need to get it machined or replaced.

I hope this helps.

#6 ·
It is not just hard braking that warps the rotors. It can also happen because of frequent braking and holding the brake for a long time. The build up of heat is what does the damage.

#9 ·
Likely a warped rotor. My EX-L had 15 K miles when this happened. Dealer machined the rotors under warranty. Wife drives this car and is not all hard on the brakes. I've never had a car with this problem so early. That plus the "normal" flickering headlight when the A/C comes (upgrading to a higher capacity battery is a ridiculous fix), rattle in the rear parcel shelf (3 trips to the dealer for this already) makes me so happy this is a lease.

#11 ·
Warped rotors are not all that uncommon in a new car if folks don't break in the brakes properly. I recall picking up a new BMW in Frankfurt, setting out immediately on vacation and driving the car too hard on the autobahns. When we got to Utrecht, Holland the rotors were shot and needed repair. Total milage? About 400 miles! '>)

#13 ·
I have 5000 miles on my accord and there has been this weird DUHT DUHT DUHT sound and vibration when I press the brake and when I slightly release it. It seems to happen only for the first few minutes. After driving for awhile, the sound disappears. Can this be warped rotors? I had this problem for awhile...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.