1993 Honda Accord 10th Anniversary Edition from Alabama - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By greg1c
  • 1 Post By greg1c

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-01-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

1993 Honda Accord 10th Anniversary Edition from Alabama

My sister just purchased a 1993 Honda Accord 10th Anniversary Edition model in Frost White with blue interior. Since I am better at talking on computers than she is, I figured I would join this group and get help when I need it. My Stepfather will or a local mechanic will be doing the work. I may and probably will ask some questions here and there about this model Accord, common problems, and things that needs to be fixed on it. It's a very unique car. Of coarse, most older model Accords are. This one is pretty good shape. We had to replace the head gaskets and put some belts on it. It will need a tune up later on says the Mechanic.

We are from Alabama (Pell City, Alabama 35125) which is in Central Alabama. We are not far from Birmingham, Alabama. My name is Jesse Williams and I have Asperger's Syndrome (Autism), but when it comes to computers, Photography, certain things about cars except for when it comes to working on one, I am very smart. I can tell you any car that I see going down the road without even looking at the badges.

One thing before I wrap this up... The fan that cools the engine on the Accord that was mentioned earlier has stopped working. The only fan that works is the one that has to do with their A/C. Does anyone know why this fan that cools the engine has stopped working and how to fix it? Is this is a common problem with the Accords?

P.S. I will upload pictures soon of the Accord.

Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-01-2016, 07:36 PM
Cruisin'

Garage
It's an electric fan. If it's the original one, it has seen many many days.
They are inexpensive to purchase a replacement.

'15 EX Sedan 2.4 CVT

Performance:
RV6 PCD, aFe Power TBS
Flowmaster HP2 Res, Custom AxleBack w/ 2x Magnaflow 11225

LQQKs/Protection:
HID 8K Low's, Int/Ext LED's
Clear Guard
Tint: F 35% | R 25%

Audio:
Metra 99-7804B Rev.2, Kenwood DDX9902s
JL Audio HD1200/1, Hertz HCP4
Audio Control LCQ-1 w/ Sub Level
Scosche Wiring, Pioneer TS-D1730C (Tweets & Comps)
2 Pioneer 6x9, 2 Phoenix Gold SX12D4

Ghetto Fab:
Foam between the rear deck & back window = Bye Rattle!
post #3 of 11 Old 09-01-2016, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Do you know how much one would cost?

This is it. I actually took a picture of it yesterday.
Attached Images

Last edited by namegoeshere; 09-01-2016 at 09:43 PM. Reason: mergé
post #4 of 11 Old 09-01-2016, 08:27 PM
Out of Control

So the first question is when the A/C is on does only 1 fan work? There are 2 fans, 1 is the radiator fan the other is the A/C condenser fan. They both should come on when the A/C is on both fans should be turning. Also, when the car temperature rises to a certain temperature both fans should come on then as well. If only 1 fan comes on in both conditions the issue is either a bad relay, blown fuse, or bad fan. Here is a web site that will give you exact instructions on how to troubleshoot this issue.

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/hon...or-fan-relay-1

Given the age of this vehicle odds are the fan is most likey the issue. The good part is the fans are widely available and reasonably priced on Amazon at around $40. You need to know which fan is bad as the fans are not the same on each side. I hope this helps.
slimm1469 likes this.

Current Honda vehicles
2005 Acura TSX Auto @200k miles - My Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 41,000 miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2001 Acura MDX Still running strong @218k
2013 FIT Sport Auto Daughters car miles (Grover)
Former Honda Vehicles
1991 Accord LX auto sold to niece @185k miles
1995 GSR sold @220k miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI sold to my brother @44k miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold to my Sister @165k miles
post #5 of 11 Old 09-02-2016, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1c View Post
So the first question is when the A/C is on does only 1 fan work? There are 2 fans, 1 is the radiator fan the other is the A/C condenser fan. They both should come on when the A/C is on both fans should be turning. Also, when the car temperature rises to a certain temperature both fans should come on then as well. If only 1 fan comes on in both conditions the issue is either a bad relay, blown fuse, or bad fan. Here is a web site that will give you exact instructions on how to troubleshoot this issue.

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/hon...or-fan-relay-1

Given the age of this vehicle odds are the fan is most likey the issue. The good part is the fans are widely available and reasonably priced on Amazon at around $40. You need to know which fan is bad as the fans are not the same on each side. I hope this helps.
Yes, only one fan works. The A/C fan works as the A/C works very good in this car which is surprising due to this car's age. The only fan that doesn't work is the radiator fan or whatever fan keeps the engine cool.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-02-2016, 06:06 AM
Out of Control

Both the radiator fan and the condenser fan are available on Amazon.

Radiator fan
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0026...rds=tyc+600050

Condenser fan

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000I...rds=tyc+610050

Current Honda vehicles
Former Honda Vehicles
post #7 of 11 Old 09-02-2016, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1c View Post
Both the radiator fan and the condenser fan are available on Amazon.

Radiator fan
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0026...rds=tyc+600050

Condenser fan

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000I...rds=tyc+610050
Okay. I show this to my Stepfather when he gets in work. I test drove it, but the gears in this thing are tricky. I don't know what gear to put it in to drive. It has D4, D3, 1, and 2. D4 doesn't have enough power. 1 has the most power. Didn't really notice anything or didn't put it in D3 or 2 to notice anything.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-02-2016, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Also, the D4 light is always lit when it's turned on and in Park. Could this be a bad TCU?
post #9 of 11 Old 09-02-2016, 08:38 AM
Out of Control

I am not an expert on the transmission, but a flashing D4 is a transmission issue. D4 is fully automatic mode and should start the car in first gear and go up and down through the gears normally. The other settings are used to lock the transmission in certain gears, D3 operates the transmission normally but does not allow the transmission to go into 4th gear. 2 locks the transmission in second gear, and 1 locks the transmission in first gear. Both the park and D4 lights should not be on when the car is running. The TCU or Transmission control unit is responsible for controlling the transmission and the lights. First thing to check is the condition of the transmission fluid, it should be red or pink, if it is brown and smells burnt you may have bigger issues. So check the fluid. Lots of articles on TCU issues, and that is a relatively expensive part about $179 - $199. The fact that there are so many places offering TCU's for 1990 - 1993 Honda Accord leads me to believe it is a common failure item.

Read this article, how one person fixed there 1993 transmission issues.

http://homeandauto.ldsdates.com/2010...-honda-accord/
slimm1469 likes this.

Current Honda vehicles
Former Honda Vehicles
post #10 of 11 Old 11-11-2016, 08:34 AM
banned

A little late to the party but it's most likely the electrolytic capacitors in the TCU.

I have successfully fixed our 93 Accord TCU by opening it up, writing all the values off each black capacitor(Google capacitor if you are unsure what they look like), order from digikey, or any electronics supplier the ones you wrote down, then desolder them one at a time and replace them until you are finished. Take care because these capacitors are polarity sensitive. That means you must have the + and - in the correct spot. Luckily the positive is marked on these capacitors with a white line up the case. Just pay attention to how it comes out.

Look for any other burned components and replace if necessary.

When you are finished clean the board off with rubbing alcohol and some light compressed air. Just don't go full blast as depending on the condition of the board you could potentially lift traces.

This obviously if you are handy with electronics and a soldering iron.

Been 20k+ miles without a problem. Currently 260k miles.

The common failure point is the capacitors. They swell over time then leak the electrolyte out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #11 of 11 Old 11-11-2016, 04:35 PM
Uptown Rooter

Don't try to drive it right now, especially without the radiator fan. The engine can overheat pretty quickly. Also, tell your mechanic not to flush the transmission. Best of luck!

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.