Rear HUMMMMMM noise.... not sure - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-18-2013, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear
 
gooderthanyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear HUMMMMMM noise.... not sure

Hi I have a noise similar to this youtube video

So this noise starts at 30, gets pretty loud at 40 and sort of quiets around 50 MPH. I have one tire that is feathered pretty badly but the rest look okay. I have the noise in what seems like the rear driver side which is where the feathred tire was after I had my tires rotated and aligned. I went to firestone and they said the noise is from "cupped" tires but the tire looks feathred to me and they claimed all 4 tires but I only really see one.

They said I will have the noise unless I get new tires. I've had Continental DSW for about ~20k miles. I find it nuts they already went. I had them on for 1 1/2 years. My alignment was off which is why one of the tires was feathered badly.

Figuring it was tire noise, I moved the feathered tire behind me to the other rear thinking I'd hear less of the HUMM noise. That's not the case. It's still rather annoying, loud at times, and directly behind me. Firestone said I'm safe and need not to worry about it, I told them i thought I had a wheel bearing problem. They said the wheel bearings are fine. I'm not sure if they checked or just saw faulty tires and claimed that as the problem. I've heard videos of fault wheel bearings with this grind/ growl noise... I don't have that. I have this HUM.

I might get new tires but i'd be upset if there's something else wrong.
gooderthanyou is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 08-18-2013, 01:30 PM
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 323
Thanks: 28
Thanked 54 Times in 33 Posts
So you don't get upset, go ahead and spend around $200.00 per side--list price--plus labor, to have new rear wheel bearing hub assemblies installed.

Yes, you need new tires to get rid of your HUM.

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.
cookieman214 is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 08-18-2013, 04:29 PM
2008 Accord Coupe EX
 
poorboyaccord's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southeast Missouri
Posts: 1,277
Thanks: 49
Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
Mine does the same thing, I thought my wheel bearings were bad, im riding on 3+ year old BFG Gforce sport tires, needless to say im ready for new tires
poorboyaccord is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 08-18-2013, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear
 
gooderthanyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well my tires are only 1.5 years old. They have plenty of tread and still look new. I figured the sound would move around since only one tire looks pretty bad but seems to be the same hum from the rear. I've heard of people being told it was their tires, they get new tires, noise is still there and then it's the wheel bearing. Also the other way around, new wheel bearings, then it's the tires.
gooderthanyou is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 07:26 AM
abbott
 
abbott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: HAMILTON, ON CANADA
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cupping tires? do you have a massive camber in the back?
abbott is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 04:53 AM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I had a slightly worn bearing that caused almost the identical noise... 2 of my favorite maintenance shops in town swore that the bearings were fine... It took the dealer garage listening to it, called it immediately, problem permanently fixed.

This happened at 65k for me... 2009 4cyl EX-L Coupe
Jeff226 is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear
 
gooderthanyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff226 View Post
I had a slightly worn bearing that caused almost the identical noise... 2 of my favorite maintenance shops in town swore that the bearings were fine... It took the dealer garage listening to it, called it immediately, problem permanently fixed.

This happened at 65k for me... 2009 4cyl EX-L Coupe
Yea no idea. I've read quite a feel people that had that happened. I guess it's more like a WHOP WHOP WHOP noise more than a hum. I think it's tires, I can feel both rears and they are a little uneven wear but seems strange that such a crazy noise is coming from that. I tried taking off tire, brakes, and spinning by hand and didn't seem abnormal (just a little noise on both rears). I have to sit on the passenger side and see if it's just as loud. Cause both tires about worn but the one on the passenger side is very slightly worse in the rear. wiggled tires and all, no movement. If the other side is pretty quiet it might be the SOMETHING with that rear left wheel.
gooderthanyou is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 03:20 PM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooderthanyou View Post
Yea no idea. I've read quite a feel people that had that happened. I guess it's more like a WHOP WHOP WHOP noise more than a hum. I think it's tires, I can feel both rears and they are a little uneven wear but seems strange that such a crazy noise is coming from that. I tried taking off tire, brakes, and spinning by hand and didn't seem abnormal (just a little noise on both rears). I have to sit on the passenger side and see if it's just as loud. Cause both tires about worn but the one on the passenger side is very slightly worse in the rear. wiggled tires and all, no movement. If the other side is pretty quiet it might be the SOMETHING with that rear left wheel.
Mine was easily a "whop whop whop"... prior to doing the bearing, I had bought two new tires and had an alignment.. I was bound and convinced it was my tires the entire time as well. The dealer was the only place out of 3 that picked up on it.
Jeff226 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 08-21-2013, 04:21 AM
2008 Accord Coupe EX
 
poorboyaccord's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southeast Missouri
Posts: 1,277
Thanks: 49
Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
So is there anyway to grease the bearings without taking it apart?
poorboyaccord is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 08-21-2013, 04:38 AM
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 323
Thanks: 28
Thanked 54 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboyaccord View Post
So is there anyway to grease the bearings without taking it apart?
No, they are a sealed bearing. To repair, you have to replace the assembly.

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.
cookieman214 is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 08-21-2013, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear
 
gooderthanyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best description of the problem is a howling. Wind going through a tunnel or something similar. No metal noise, no grinding.

If there's bumps in the road, the tire that bounces will be quiet for a second. Some roads are quieter, if it's a smooth/semi-smooth road it's at it's loudest. I can have radio up to 25 and barely hear it, radio at 15 or so and definitely can hear it. At highway speeds it's gone. At anything below 30 mph it's silent.

The two rears are not THAT bad IMO but that doesn't mean much I guess.

I mean I did just get a rotation and it seems a little louder since the front tires went to the back. So either it naturally got worse, or i'm hearing things.

At one point it drove me so crazy I had my radio on, I heard the howling noise in my head, turned off the radio and the car was silent . It's really getting to me and now i'm imagining it sometimes.
gooderthanyou is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 08-22-2013, 08:43 AM
2008 Accord Coupe EX
 
poorboyaccord's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southeast Missouri
Posts: 1,277
Thanks: 49
Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooderthanyou View Post
The best description of the problem is a howling. Wind going through a tunnel or something similar. No metal noise, no grinding.

If there's bumps in the road, the tire that bounces will be quiet for a second. Some roads are quieter, if it's a smooth/semi-smooth road it's at it's loudest. I can have radio up to 25 and barely hear it, radio at 15 or so and definitely can hear it. At highway speeds it's gone. At anything below 30 mph it's silent.

The two rears are not THAT bad IMO but that doesn't mean much I guess.

I mean I did just get a rotation and it seems a little louder since the front tires went to the back. So either it naturally got worse, or i'm hearing things.

At one point it drove me so crazy I had my radio on, I heard the howling noise in my head, turned off the radio and the car was silent . It's really getting to me and now i'm imagining it sometimes.
yeah im taking my car to the dealer next week to get my bearing checked out
poorboyaccord is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 08-23-2013, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear
 
gooderthanyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff226 View Post
Mine was easily a "whop whop whop"... prior to doing the bearing, I had bought two new tires and had an alignment.. I was bound and convinced it was my tires the entire time as well. The dealer was the only place out of 3 that picked up on it.
I'll just wait to see if it gets a little louder.

I took my tire off, caliper, and tried to remove the rotor but couldn't because the brake pad housing (that's in the way of removing the rotor) was in the way and too tight to remove. I spun it around with the rotor still on and it didn't sound like "marbles", "grinding", or "wind" or anything. Just a little faint metal on metal sound. Both rears had identical sounds. And there was no weight either. It actually looks pretty easy to DIY. Seems a lot of people have to "press" bearings out but not on the accord.
gooderthanyou is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome